Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dell XPS 420: Can I install Vista to a new HDD and make that my boot?

Last response: in Windows Vista
October 13, 2011 5:29:39 AM

Hi all. Hopefully someone can answer my questions or at least point me in the right direction. I'm not super tech-savvy so hopefully you will be gentle with your advice and correct me (gently) if I make any mistakes along the way.

First off, thanks to all for looking at my post.

I have a Dell XPS 420 with Windows Vista Ultimate (32-bit, I think).

I have 2 - 500GB HDD set up in RAID so I have a single 1TB C:\ drive which makes me nervous about losing data.

I would like to install my OS onto a new single HD (maybe SSD if I can) for booting purposes and have a 2nd larger SATA HD for data storage.

I don't own any full copy of Windows, only the installed Vista that came with this desktop. I don't have any Dell recovery discs but I do have that Recovery D:\ drive.

Is there any way I can install a fresh OS onto a brand new HDD and make that my boot drive, esp given that all I have is the Recovery D:\ and no actual discs? Did these systems come with OS/recovery discs and if so, could I do what I'm thinking of doing if I managed to find those?

Any suggestions are welcome.

I know there are other options, but I would like to do a fresh install of my OS if possible.

Thanks in advance!

October 13, 2011 6:05:40 AM

Do u still have the sticker from the windows with serial# on it?
Its usually on the side of the PC.
Score
October 13, 2011 5:41:09 PM

Yes, I do still have the sticker on the side. It says Dell and Microsoft and has the registration code for the Windows Vista.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

October 30, 2011 1:18:08 PM

lost@computing said:
Yes, I do still have the sticker on the side. It says Dell and Microsoft and has the registration code for the Windows Vista.

If u will contact Dell, they will send u a new recovery disc.
February 1, 2012 12:46:32 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
February 1, 2012 12:46:46 AM

Best answer selected by area51reopened.
Score
!