What's this? PowerColor HD 3850 PCS 512MB AGP!!

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
It might be old news to some but not to me. I thought my 1950 Pro AGP was going to be my LAST upgrade for my old rig. I suppose not. Might squeeze another year out of my rig with this card.

Da Worfster

ilias

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
do we know what kind of psu this will need? i nned the minimum watt and amperage for 12V.
(i want to buy one but dont want to spend to much but it will be good quality nothing no name...will a thermaltake 500W be ok?)

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

You think? I'm sure that's more than enough. You'd probably be able to run this if you have a solid 300/350 watt power supply.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
AGP 8x has the same bandwidth as PCI-E 8X. You think if people set their 8800gt on PCI-E 8x they would lose much performance? My guess is only a few FPS in the difference.

AGP isnt dying because its bandwidth is too low, its dying because the big manufacturers are letting it die. AGP systems are bottlenecking the high end cards because they're usually running an outdated CPU... not because the AGP bus is too slow.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Don't forget about your other bottlenecking nemeses...chipsets and RAM. I am curious for the benchmarks to start rolling out to see how it performs but I get the feeling that the low power consumption will be the most attractive feature of this card rather than a performance boost. It could allow a lot of people with old AGP cards and small PSUs to be able to upgrade without having to get a frickin 500 W power sucking unit :)

I half way agree with you...AGP probably could be pushed further but for investment purposes, companies at some point have to drop the slower technology to focus on developing with the faster.