picture calibration

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 6, 2005 12:42:05 AM

Hi, I just bought a Sony HDTV and want to do a cheap quickie picture
calibration. Can anyone tell me what recent DVD movies contain a calibration
program such as THX?
Tnx
Dale in Ottawa

More about : picture calibration

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 10:07:05 AM

Probably only those items that charge quite a few "Loonies". IMHO: Pick a
favorite DVD and tweak the adjustments to your personal preference. Also,
others in the household will probably have their "Preferences" !! The
"Professional Calibration" will cost a few hundred "Loonies" to have it done
by companies that furnish that service in your area. If you pop for that
option, ask the gent to allow you to watch what is being done, just for your
own interest, not so you can attempt it at a later time. IMHO: Generally
tweaking the customer settings, via the operations manual's tutorial,
satisfies the normal consumer. Esp after a couple of "Labatts Bleu"!!
"Dale Jones" <dbjones2@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi, I just bought a Sony HDTV and want to do a cheap quickie picture
> calibration. Can anyone tell me what recent DVD movies contain a
> calibration program such as THX?
> Tnx
> Dale in Ottawa

Anonymous
June 6, 2005 11:29:08 AM

Art, your perspective on this is a good example of why people find dealing
with servicers in the consumer electronics business very dissatisfying, in
many cases. Why not advise the OP to get a copy of DVE or Avia, or at least
answer the question. With access to an assortment of test patterns he can,
perhaps, learn more about the performance of his system and get a better
idea of what he can accomplish and what he might gain by having a
"professional" align the set. As you should know, some sets come out of the
box only needing a little tweaking and adjusting the consumer controls can
achieve good results. Other sets of the same model might need a tech to
achieve the same results.

Of course, better educated consumers tend to expect more of both salesmen
and technicians. This creates opportunities for the real professionals, but
headaches for the slackers.

Leonard

"Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Probably only those items that charge quite a few "Loonies". IMHO: Pick a
> favorite DVD and tweak the adjustments to your personal preference. Also,
> others in the household will probably have their "Preferences" !! The
> "Professional Calibration" will cost a few hundred "Loonies" to have it
done
> by companies that furnish that service in your area. If you pop for that
> option, ask the gent to allow you to watch what is being done, just for
your
> own interest, not so you can attempt it at a later time. IMHO: Generally
> tweaking the customer settings, via the operations manual's tutorial,
> satisfies the normal consumer. Esp after a couple of "Labatts Bleu"!!
> "Dale Jones" <dbjones2@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Hi, I just bought a Sony HDTV and want to do a cheap quickie picture
> > calibration. Can anyone tell me what recent DVD movies contain a
> > calibration program such as THX?
> > Tnx
> > Dale in Ottawa

June 6, 2005 2:49:17 PM

Dale Jones wrote:
> Hi, I just bought a Sony HDTV and want to do a cheap quickie picture
> calibration. Can anyone tell me what recent DVD movies contain a calibration
> program such as THX?
> Tnx
> Dale in Ottawa

Get the Avia DVD.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 4:00:36 PM

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 06:07:05 -0400, "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net>
wrote:

>"Dale Jones" <dbjones2@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Hi, I just bought a Sony HDTV and want to do a cheap quickie picture
>> calibration. Can anyone tell me what recent DVD movies contain a
>> calibration program such as THX?
>> Tnx
>> Dale in Ottawa

>Probably only those items that charge quite a few "Loonies". IMHO: Pick a
>favorite DVD and tweak the adjustments to your personal preference. Also,
>others in the household will probably have their "Preferences" !! The
>"Professional Calibration" will cost a few hundred "Loonies" to have it done
>by companies that furnish that service in your area. If you pop for that
>option, ask the gent to allow you to watch what is being done, just for your
>own interest, not so you can attempt it at a later time. IMHO: Generally
>tweaking the customer settings, via the operations manual's tutorial,
>satisfies the normal consumer. Esp after a couple of "Labatts Bleu"!!

I think you will be better off with a "Calibration DVD" such as
Digital Video Essentials. It's not so expensive. I have the version
for "PAL land". It contains instructive and demonstraition parts as
well as test patterns and test signals also for the surround audio.
/Jan
June 6, 2005 6:16:36 PM

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 10:49:17 -0400, "Michael J. Sherman"
<msherman@dsbox.com> wrote:

>Dale Jones wrote:
>> Hi, I just bought a Sony HDTV and want to do a cheap quickie picture
>> calibration. Can anyone tell me what recent DVD movies contain a calibration
>> program such as THX?
>> Tnx
>> Dale in Ottawa
>>

>Get the Avia DVD.

I used the Avia CD. It was a waste of time.
Thumper
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 7:24:31 PM

Thumper wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 10:49:17 -0400, "Michael J. Sherman"
> <msherman@dsbox.com> wrote:
>

>>Dale Jones wrote:
>>
>>>Hi, I just bought a Sony HDTV and want to do a cheap quickie picture
>>>calibration. Can anyone tell me what recent DVD movies contain a calibration
>>>program such as THX?
>>>Tnx
>>>Dale in Ottawa
>>>

>>Get the Avia DVD.
>

> I used the Avia CD. It was a waste of time.
> Thumper

Well I used the Avia DVD and found it quite useful.

So there. ;-/
June 6, 2005 10:26:29 PM

"Michael J. Sherman" wrote:

> Thumper wrote:
> > On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 10:49:17 -0400, "Michael J. Sherman"
> > <msherman@dsbox.com> wrote:

> >>Get the Avia DVD.
> >

> > I used the Avia CD. It was a waste of time.
> > Thumper
>
> Well I used the Avia DVD and found it quite useful.
>
> So there. ;-/

I bought both to "tweak" my Sony Model 655 rear-projection LCD and found both to be
a waste of time.
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:58:52 AM

<Tim@Backhome.org> wrote in message news:42A4F7C5.D372B2A3@Backhome.org...
> I bought both to "tweak" my Sony Model 655 rear-projection LCD and found
both to be
> a waste of time.

DVE and Avia are just tools. They are only a waste of time if you are not
interested in learningmore about the performance of your display, and your
audio system. They are infact, quite useful if you learn what each of the
patterns and tests can be used for. They are not magic. They require
learning something about the system.

Leonard
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 10:23:59 AM

Totally agreed: Leonard. However I have seen customer hosed by
"Professionals" adjusting these to the DVD Specifications. Sorry thing is
that this totally infers that the Manufacturer's Original Specifications and
Setups are Inferior? IMHO: That is specifically why there are customer
controls as a basic feature of all electronic equipment manufactured
currently. Personally I do not have anything against setting the items to
"Broadcast Premium Specifications" and paying to have this done, if the
device is of that particular quality! However You and all of us know the
consumer electronics being marketed currently does not meet that
qualification, and probably never will. <
"Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message

> <Tim@Backhome.org> wrote in message news:42A4F7C5.D372B2A3@Backhome.org...
>> I bought both to "tweak" my Sony Model 655 rear-projection LCD and found
> both to be
>> a waste of time.
>
> DVE and Avia are just tools. They are only a waste of time if you are not
> interested in learningmore about the performance of your display, and your
> audio system. They are infact, quite useful if you learn what each of the
> patterns and tests can be used for. They are not magic. They require
> learning something about the system.
>
> Leonard

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 10:13:50 AM

Art, I have no idea what you are trying to communicate in this message. My
point in this thread has been that using tools like DVE and AVIA can be
useful at many levels and there is nothing wrong with people learning more
about the performance of their displays. Many service technicians never
even get the service nor consumer alignments even close and most sets do not
come from the manufacturer aligned to their best performance.

questions and comments imbedded.

> Totally agreed: Leonard. However I have seen customer hosed by
> "Professionals" adjusting these to the DVD Specifications.

What DVD specifications are you talking about and what professionals are you
talking about. The only thing wrong with using a DVD for alignments would
be if the user does not understand the format limitations on geometry
adjustments and if one assumes that the level adjustments will be
appropriate for other inputs.

>Sorry thing is
> that this totally infers that the Manufacturer's Original Specifications
and
> Setups are Inferior? IMHO: That is specifically why there are customer
> controls as a basic feature of all electronic equipment manufactured
> currently.

What specifications are you talking about? Do you assume that most sets
actually are adjusted properly from the factory?

>Personally I do not have anything against setting the items to
> "Broadcast Premium Specifications" and paying to have this done, if the
> device is of that particular quality!

What specifications are you referring to?

>However You and all of us know the
> consumer electronics being marketed currently does not meet that
> qualification, and probably never will. <

Again, what does this mean? In what way are consumer electronics not
meeting "broadcast premium specifications" other than resolution? How are
people adjusting sets to these standards and screwing them up?

> >Again IMHO. Have a fine day there in Florida Bro.

Thanks, but I still can't make sense of your points.

Leonard

> "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message
> >
> > <Tim@Backhome.org> wrote in message
> >> I bought both to "tweak" my Sony Model 655 rear-projection LCD and
found
> > both to be
> >> a waste of time.
> >
> > DVE and Avia are just tools. They are only a waste of time if you are
not
> > interested in learningmore about the performance of your display, and
your
> > audio system. They are infact, quite useful if you learn what each of
the
> > patterns and tests can be used for. They are not magic. They require
> > learning something about the system.
> >
> > Leonard

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:05:15 PM

Leonard: What is being inferred is that the Manufacturers and Engineers do
not produce a produce with appropriate configuration and/or definitive
display specifications for the nominal user. That the products out of the
box are inferior in design and performance. Is this exactly what is being
communicated by the advice to modify the original settings and adjustments?<
news:D Izpe.11536$Hj.4969@lakeread02...
> Art, I have no idea what you are trying to communicate in this message.
> My
> point in this thread has been that using tools like DVE and AVIA can be
> useful at many levels and there is nothing wrong with people learning more
> about the performance of their displays. Many service technicians never
> even get the service nor consumer alignments even close and most sets do
> not
> come from the manufacturer aligned to their best performance.
>
> questions and comments imbedded.
>
> "Art" <plotsligt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Totally agreed: Leonard. However I have seen customer hosed by
>> "Professionals" adjusting these to the DVD Specifications.
>
> What DVD specifications are you talking about and what professionals are
> you
> talking about. The only thing wrong with using a DVD for alignments would
> be if the user does not understand the format limitations on geometry
> adjustments and if one assumes that the level adjustments will be
> appropriate for other inputs.
>
>>Sorry thing is
>> that this totally infers that the Manufacturer's Original Specifications
> and
>> Setups are Inferior? IMHO: That is specifically why there are customer
>> controls as a basic feature of all electronic equipment manufactured
>> currently.
>
> What specifications are you talking about? Do you assume that most sets
> actually are adjusted properly from the factory?
>
>>Personally I do not have anything against setting the items to
>> "Broadcast Premium Specifications" and paying to have this done, if the
>> device is of that particular quality!
>
> What specifications are you referring to?
>
>>However You and all of us know the
>> consumer electronics being marketed currently does not meet that
>> qualification, and probably never will. <
>
> Again, what does this mean? In what way are consumer electronics not
> meeting "broadcast premium specifications" other than resolution? How are
> people adjusting sets to these standards and screwing them up?
>
>> >Again IMHO. Have a fine day there in Florida Bro.
>
> Thanks, but I still can't make sense of your points.
>
> Leonard
>

>> "Leonard Caillouet" <no@no.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > <Tim@Backhome.org> wrote in message
> found
>> > both to be
>> >
>> > DVE and Avia are just tools. They are only a waste of time if you are
> not
>> > interested in learningmore about the performance of your display, and
> your
>> > audio system. They are infact, quite useful if you learn what each of
> the
>> > patterns and tests can be used for. They are not magic. They require
>> > learning something about the system.
>> >
>> > Leonard

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 12:18:19 PM

The fact is that many sets come out of the box with terrible white balance,
terrible electronic and mechanical focus, terrible convergence, and
contrast/color levels that are so high that they produce unnatural images
and shorten the useful life of the set. In some cases sets are aligned so
poorly that convergence outputs overheat or geometry is severely distorted.

In many cases I see repair techs returning products to consumers with a
picture but even worse alignment than the sets come out of the box.

Are you suggesting that these observations are not factual?

What does this have to do with engineering and design, other than the fact
that the manufacturers design assembly lines to minimize the time to align
the set?

> [...]

> >> controls as a basic feature of all electronic equipment manufactured
> >> currently.
> >
> > What specifications are you talking about? Do you assume that most sets
> > actually are adjusted properly from the factory?
> >
> >>Personally I do not have anything against setting the items to
> >> "Broadcast Premium Specifications" and paying to have this done, if the
> >> device is of that particular quality!
> >
> > What specifications are you referring to?
> >
> >>However You and all of us know the
> >> consumer electronics being marketed currently does not meet that
> >> qualification, and probably never will. <
> >
> > Again, what does this mean? In what way are consumer electronics not
> > meeting "broadcast premium specifications" other than resolution? How
are
> > people adjusting sets to these standards and screwing them up?

> > Thanks, but I still can't make sense of your points.

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 4:24:12 PM

I've read a lot of articles in WSR & HTMAG that many many sets are in
need of
adjustment to them. Both mags show why and what was done, plus the
gamut, yada yada.
So your not relying on someone writing an article saying "Just Because".
I remember reading on the Optoma Sovereign Series(sp) are pulled off the
line
and calibrated by a human, and if memory serves came damn close to optimal
right out of the box.

I want my expensive display calibrated to it's best output, but I'm anal
and picky. LOL

--
Ric Seyler
June 9, 2005 5:59:59 PM

Leonard Caillouet wrote:

> <Tim@Backhome.org> wrote in message news:42A4F7C5.D372B2A3@Backhome.org...
> > I bought both to "tweak" my Sony Model 655 rear-projection LCD and found
> both to be
> > a waste of time.
>
> DVE and Avia are just tools. They are only a waste of time if you are not
> interested in learningmore about the performance of your display, and your
> audio system. They are infact, quite useful if you learn what each of the
> patterns and tests can be used for. They are not magic. They require
> learning something about the system.
>
> Leonard

I took the trouble to learn a fair amount about them and it was the unanimous
opinion of this household that one of the "out of the box" options on our Sony
rear projection LCD set yielded the best picture for all of us. Same for the
sound system.
June 9, 2005 9:44:22 PM

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 13:59:59 -0700, Tim@Backhome.org wrote:

>Leonard Caillouet wrote:
>
>> <Tim@Backhome.org> wrote in message news:42A4F7C5.D372B2A3@Backhome.org...
>> > I bought both to "tweak" my Sony Model 655 rear-projection LCD and found
>> both to be
>> > a waste of time.
>>
>> DVE and Avia are just tools. They are only a waste of time if you are not
>> interested in learningmore about the performance of your display, and your
>> audio system. They are infact, quite useful if you learn what each of the
>> patterns and tests can be used for. They are not magic. They require
>> learning something about the system.
>>
>> Leonard
>
>I took the trouble to learn a fair amount about them and it was the unanimous
>opinion of this household that one of the "out of the box" options on our Sony
>rear projection LCD set yielded the best picture for all of us. Same for the
>sound system.

That was my experience with my Hitachi.
thumper
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 2:03:22 AM

(Tim@Backhome.org) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I took the trouble to learn a fair amount about them and it was the unanimous
> opinion of this household that one of the "out of the box" options on our Sony
> rear projection LCD set yielded the best picture for all of us.

"Best" is an opinion in your case. It's what you like best, and that's fine,
but if you calibrate with a DVD (or have a professional calibration done),
you get accuracy.

In the case of the reproduction of audio and video, I'll take accuracy over
any random person's opinion any day.

--
Jeff Rife | "Why the hell did you stuff yourself like that?"
!