Sign in with
Your question

Which .net framework should I download ? plse help

Last response: in Windows XP
June 3, 2010 5:13:08 AM

Hi there,

Today I reformatted my 2 year old HDD. Had a bit of problem loading XP PRO after formatting with errors of missing files and i386 issues. But after wiping the xp disk
a coupla times and wiping the CD rom drive (urg - some dusts have taken residence in there!) all came good except..... " Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 is required to
run ATI Catalyst Control Center. Please download and instal the software from Microsoft website. "

I thought this would be installed with windows update which i spent hours on updating and yet this message keep showing up. Also, I am getting a reminder that
the Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus is not working or needing drivers. I tried to install drivers for this audio device by the ATI CD as well as trying to install
from the MB disk to no avail. Could it be that without .net Framework, the drivers could not be installed even from the ATI CD ?

I had a look at the Microsoft .net framework and found a download namely this :-NET Framework version 2.0 (x86) redistributable package . Is this meant for single
pc like mine or for servers only? I have no idea what the (x86) means.

Can someone kindly point me to a safe link to download a suitable .net frame for a single pc running XP Pro (with XP-SP3 already installed).

Thank you very much.

Everyday I am learning a tiny bit of computer hardware and how it work.

Thank you for this site.
June 3, 2010 6:35:10 AM

surriyah said:
Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0 is required to
run ATI Catalyst Control Center. Please download and instal the software from Microsoft website. "

I thought this would be installed with windows update which i spent hours on updating and yet this message keep showing up. Also, I am getting a reminder that the Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus is not working or needing drivers. I tried to install drivers for this audio device by the ATI CD as well as trying to install from the MB disk to no avail. Could it be that without .net Framework, the drivers could not be installed even from the ATI CD ?

I had a look at the Microsoft .net framework and found a download namely this :-NET Framework version 2.0 (x86) redistributable package . Is this meant for single pc like mine or for servers only? I have no idea what the (x86) means.

[#0005ff]The X86 part only refers to the 32 bit version of XP rather than the 64 bit and it's more likely you have the 32 bit. More recent versions of NetFramework need all the earlier ones to sit on so you need to make sure you have all of them. They should show up in Control Panel>Add and Remove Programmes if you tick to include Windows Updates in the list. If Windows Updates isn't doing this properly for you, go straight to Microsoft's site and seek out the ones you need.

As to the sound driver, this is a bit of a minefield but it's unlikely to be linked to NetFramework. Find the device in Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and double click it then click the Details tab. Take the four digit code which follows VEN (for Vendor or manufacturer) and after DEV (for Device) and input them at http://www.pcidatabase.com. You can then see who made it and possibly find a link to the right driver but beware the sites that offer you drivers if only you let them have a look in your system. They might take thing you don't want to lose - your bank details, perhaps.
[/#000ff]
!