Phenom B3 going swimmingly, apparently

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

oh so nooooooooow youve got a sense of humour lol

might as well go with the flow on this one :)

cheers

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Actually, sounds like the rumors were indeed true.
Remember, the B3 was supposed to be in stores this month.

They are not even going to start manufacturing them until March wide scale until march.
Still making samples.
The reason for the slip was likely the trouble fixing the bug.
They might have finally figured it out, but my guess is that to say it was fixed a long time ago is FUD. :pfff:

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Na b3 was put back quite some time ago wasnt it? Wasnt supposed to be this month until quite some time ago or am i wrong. Fell free to write: 'yes, your wrong' lol

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/sto...A55-FF8F-43B6-AD1C-73FDAB0B0DC0}&siteid=yhoof

Analysts expect AMD to report a loss of 36 cents on revenue of $1.79 billion, compared with a loss of 4 cents, on revenue of 1.77 billion in the year-ago period, according to Thomson Financial.

The Sunnyvale, Calif.-based company has been struggling to become profitable over the past year as it faced stiffer competition from archrival Intel Corp. and grappled with the cost of a major acquisition.

AMD reported a wider-than-expected third-quarter loss of $396 million in October, largely due to a $120 million charge for its merger with ATI Technologies in 2006. The company has also struggled with product roll-out delays and mounting operating costs that some analysts warned were not sustainable.

"We are lowering our estimates to reflect continued execution missteps, an increase in operating expenses due to engineering costs and continued pressure from Intel's roadmap," analyst Doug Freedman of American Technology Research said in a research note.

--------------------------------

B3 or not, its a minor part of AMD's troubles. A loss 10x the size of last year? And poeple are still holding the stock? Theres a sucka born every minute! :)

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Theyre past the point of no return now, sell and get back just pennies, or hold on for another 8 quarters and/or samsung. Despite that it is nice to hear that b3 is not in fact b2.5, and that they havent fallen flat again. I hope hector has rolled his sleaves up and is making the engineers teas and coffees and arranging biscuits and snacks nicely on big shiny plates and cleaning the toilets too. Doing something useful for a change that is. Oh look he missed a spot...

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
If they had put Hector exclusevely on toilet cleaning duty a couple of years ago, AMD would stil be a strong competitor to Intel and the CPU biz woudnt be in the mess that its in today with inovation being backed off on, and roadmaps getting longer and longer.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

You could be correct.
It's really all quibble.

I really do hope that B3 ships sooner rather than later and cheap too.
It will help other prices.

Unfortunately, I don't want to wait any longer for my Penryn and am going for the 8400 in just over a week.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

Way to go Zen! If your in the same lineup Im gonna be in for the 8400 I'll let you go first! Respect!

LOL. I'm glad you have a sense of humor as well :)

That came from my department of "You had it coming to you."

Spoonboy, I like you.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Awww crapper, and and I just paid for that 9600+ BE yesterday. On the other hand it's nice to see that they're ramping up for Shanghai 45nm already, means by the end of the year or sooner for the chips. Guess they weren't kidding when someone said the 45nm samples were looking promising. 45nm is supposed to be where they're switching to IBM's germanium High K gate correct?

Hmmm maybe if I pray and ask really nicely they'll give all us poor sods who bought a b2 revision BE chip some kind of rebate or something to get ahold of the new b3 chips when they release. This should also help them greatly in the server market.

Eh, I guess I'll survive. By the time the B3 comes out, I'll be out of debt myself, and any income I make from my secondary job will be gravy that I can spend on whatever I want anyway.. Not to mention my raise at Wally world goes into effect this month too. Hell or I could just sell a few of my walmart shares about that time too.

Granted if they get the Shanghai out soon enough I might just skip b3 all together. I doubt I'm gonna have any issues with the b2

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Who says? Charlie Demerjian of the Inquirer, a known AMD fanboy? His "reliable sources" the "....the elves who work at the Fraternal Order of Silicon Repair Mythical Creatures Local 17...."? Pat Moorehead ?

At this point given Charlie Demerjian's green colored history and AMDs penchant for BSing the past 19 months, its best to disregard all rumours, and anything at all AMD has to say on the subject. Also given the penchant of AMDs Phenom ESs to perfrom better than the retail skus, best to just wait until the retail products arrive and are tested by real people.

I wounder what germaniums limit will be compared to hafnium. I guess we will see which one will win on the road to 32nm and smaller.

This is sorat good news I gues. I still want my Yorkie Q9450. I think I might head up to Chandler and see if I can sneak one out of the FAB there....

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Germanium should actually have a long life span in CPU's. It's been being used in electronic components and solid state chips for quite a while. Like I said in a post a while back, it's mainly used for high grade resistors and diodes, until recently. Considering a transistor is basically a diode that only conducts current when current is introduced on a second input line to bridge the gap, creating basically an on switch between the two main elements of the regular diode.

Semiconductor on Insulator (SOI) works to a point with transistors, but once you hit that point you can't stop the current leaking through the silicon. According to what I remember, IBM has germanium working on 32nm process, and it shouldn't be hard to adapt that to 45nm, which is likely why they're upping the 45nm die shrink to possibly this year from what it appears.

I kinda wonder how far hafnium will go. Thinking possibly they'll have a similar limit on how small the transistors can be micronized for both processes.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

You made my eye twitch..... ROFL

For a tech electronics geek, thats just about as bad as
"a baby seal walks into a club..."

Charlie is the salt of the earth ... a nice guy.

At least he doesn't post comments about expos he didn't attend or hardware he doesn't have ... unlike a certain hack who hangs around here from time to time... and wears women's underwear.

How is it the Inq staff get the jump on the rest wrt AMD??

Might have something to do with the fact they have a close relationship with them ... something the pro-intel hardware sites don't have.

Plus the Inq have a lot of inside sources in the industry.

More often than not their rumours are right.

Plus their stories are funny ... if you have the sense of humour to match ... which is a cultural thing.

Take the p#ss out of them if you like ... it's all good publicity old chap.

:)

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

Damn! Not the eye twitch! Seek imediate medical attention! :)

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

It maybe going swimmingly, but does the Phenom have water wings and a rubber ring with a ducky on it.....

Cheers and good will to all the sane people on here

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Well, that's probably high on your fantasy list, but I don't think it will happen. You and Thunderman, why do people get overly invested emotionally in their favorite company, or in some cases, their least favorite company.

Were it not for Intel's business practices, I would have gone C2D but I decided after Northwood to give AMD a try, and the Athlon X2's I own are decent little processors.

The 65nm Phenom isn't quite AMD's Prescott, and I'll give AMD the benefit of the doubt until I see B3 in action, and better yet; 45nm Phenom's later this year.

As far as stock goes, it's not just AMD's. The tech market's in a bit of a tumble now, and I have to ride herd on my 401K just to stay close to even. It will get better, for stocks in general and for AMD.