Any real reason not to buy the Q6600

Socket 7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Hi all. I have a bit of a problem making up my mind up on, weather to get The Q6600 or wait for the Q9450.

Intel have annoyed me because, they keep delaying the new processors. Tbh I can't see much benefit on the new Q9450 from the Q6600.

It's still 95w and has a bit more cache memory, plus some SSE4 instructions. Also if it is going to cost say, £100 more than the Q6600 then is it really worth it.

So long as the Q6600 lasts about 4 years, then would it be best to go for the Q6600?

Also has anyone used this company to buy there computer from? http://www.computerhq.co.uk/

This is where I am thinking of buying from.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Cant see the 9450 costing a hunderd quid more than the 6600 except in ripoff joints. Shop around and youll find a decent spread that shoudnt be more than 30-40 pounds. And if you can hodl on until the new Yorkies come out, Id advise ya to do that. The 6600 will last 4 years easy especialy if you dont try to OC it to 4+, but dude, 4 years from now they will have CPUs with the power of a 6600 in a wristwatch!

UncleDave

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007

"AMD = dumb"

so we're buggered either way :whistle:

coat/door

Craxbax

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Well, you are asking this on an enthusiast forum so the newest, best(est) and fastest is the default choice! LOL Of course, there is currently a heat debate between the 'duallies' aka FLAT EARTH Society (not to be confused with the AMD LUDITES) and the QUADROPHYLES (better looking, wealthier, and more intelligent, and forward thinking individuals) as to whether you should choose 2 or 4 cores. (JK all) :D
In reality, it is what you want and are willing to spend. My $.02 is the Q6600 GO is great but as Olskoolchopper said, "hodl on until the new Yorkies come out."

UncleDave

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007

yeah :bounce:

damn I miss my old PC with two 360K drives and green screen....... DOS 3.1 the OS of champions

... life was so much simpler

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

VIA it is, then. Darn, and you wanted some performance, too. Well, sorry that there won't be any performance, but at least it won't cost you too much.

Socket 7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

That depends on when they come out. I have heard so many different dates, feb, mar and some even think they will be delayed indefinitely. Tbh I was going to over clock it to about 3.2Ghz anyway.

If I buy the Q6600, I will be using the Asus P5N-E-Sli motherboard. Does anyone know if it will work with the Q9450?

While I can see that there are many of you who will payout for the best, I have to make my pc last about 4 years, because of cost. Anyway by the time you have bought your new PC, it's out of date, so you can never keep up with technology lol.

I like to miss a bit and get the next best thing :)

I have looked at many forums about what is best, Quad vs dual core and because I don't upgrade every few months, a quad is going to be more useful in the future, while dual core will be like, single core, not very good. lol

Craxbax

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
I am very happy with my Q6600 loping along at a modest 3.42ghz. I can run it up to 3.6+ghz with my TT120 but I don't really see much improvement for the added heat production.

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

Current cost of a Q6600: $260-280 from Etailers. Tray Price of the Q9450: $316 per 1000. I can easily see them going for $75-100 and even $150 more (when demand rises).

I don't think the 6600 will last 4 years.. atleast not maxing out games. Hardware cycle will be a bit faster. Unless you just mean how long it will live, period... in which case I'd venture 8-10 years.

What about your own "hold off" advice? E8400? I thought you wanted a quad. :p

Who knows how long it will be.. the Q6600 is pretty golden right now.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

Hodl on, Hodl that thought. Put it on hodl for a sec. I told him to hodl on so that in a month or so he wouldnt be hodling on to his head wondering "Why didn't I hodl on and wait?" Now hodl on as I have my bank on Hodl as they tell me they're hodling my last check.

"I keep hodling on to yesterday" - Ambrosia

BTW, OP, you can sure use a Q6600 for four years but will the softwar you want to use in 2012 want to run on it?

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

Preorder Q9450 now from ncix at CDN$364 US$355.

I do want a freakin quad but Im looking at the prospect of having to drive 8 miles to the internet cafe to be able to get my work done if I keep pushng my Pentium D and it gives up the ghost. Im already reboting every hour just to free up some RAM for my apps. No point upgradng a semidead PC. Id love to wait til March. No can do. :(

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

Umm.. I'm not sure its legal to hodl in my state... :heink: come to think of it I'm not really sure what hodl means.

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Some points to ponder

If the Q6600 will not last 4 years, how much longer than that will the Q9450 last.

If you get the Q6600 now you can upgrade to another pin compatible chip 2 year later at a much cheaper cost - if you need to.

THE GAMBLE - What will retailers charge based on the supply of Q6600's and Q9450's being in the channel at the same time.

In 4 years we will be using a different socket so consider that the 775 socket is toward the end of its life and waiting for the Nahelem to appear will be a long way off.

Sooooo...seems like your choices are--
1. Spend a bit less and get the performance you need now and into the near future.
2. Wait until the Q9450 comes out and see what the benchmarks are then make a decision.

Knowing what you need your computer for is also something that would help us in giving credible advice. A lot of the attributes of the new quads will not have to be implemented in general purpose software for them to be effective. If you are into video encoding, editing etc and other type of higher level software then 4 years is a long time to wait to upgrade. It appears that a Q6600 (stock or overclocked)will serve you fine and give you a higher cost/performance ratio. In say 2 years the cost of higher level 775 socket chips will be quite low and you can get something for your Q6600 to offset the cost if you NEED more power.

Most people on these forums do not seem to consider that the processors we use today are way more power than most people need. AS SUCH we tend to push the next best brightest thing. Lets face it, we are "Enthusiasts"!!!

For my work I am a power user, and I JUST upgraded to a Q6600 (bought it black Friday & will be installing this weekend). I run 8 monitors (4 video cards) on an ASUS P5W64 Motherboard. This is replacing my E6400 @ 3.0 Ghz I also have an E4300 @2.88 running 4 monitors (I also use this as my game machine X1900xtx) BTW Crysis ran fine in high settings.

Good luck in your decision.

sailer

Splendid
I'm probably going to be ordering the Q9450 myself. Its at the beginning of its life and only costs a small amount more than the Q6600. I'd rather ride the latest tech than something that goes back a year and a half if I'm making an all new purchase. But that's my thinking and not necessarily the same as others.

Socket 7

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008

I'm sure the software will but by that time, I would buy a new computer.

When I say 4 years, thats how long I go before I buy a new computer because, it costs so much to keep up with technology. Since the 486 days, I have bought a new computer about every 4 years. So I have had, 486DX2=66Mhz, pentiumII=300Mhz, AMD duron=1.2 Ghz, Current system, AMD 64=2 Ghz.

Some good points there hcforde.

Thats what I was thinking of doing. I mean Nahelem is more of a jump than the Q9450 but by the time I need a new computer, there will probably be 16 cores out.

I think I will go for the Q6600 as it's cheaper and waiting for intel to pull there finger out, is taking forever. I could then maybe in about 2 years, just drop in the Q9450, if it works with the Asus P5N-E-Sli and it will be cheaper by then as well.

Thanks all :)

uk_gangsta

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006

VIA would be good let say.....If you wanted your pc to run your fridge, its pretty cool to, so it wont heatyour fridge either.
As for using one as a computer........I didnt know they made processors to run windows, i thought the C7 etc was just for running your fridge.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

I thought the fridge was more GPU intensive then CPU intensive...

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

There are 21 states and 3 provinces with legistlation against "hodling with intent to distribute." :pt1cable: