Weird problem

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

Ok, I manage to find my SC Cds, but there is just one slight problem. Two
minutes upon connecting to BNet, my computer freeze, especially when trying
to locate games to join (the screen where you're able to change the game
types ie, melee, FFA etc).

AMD XP 1700, Windows 2000 SP4, 1Gig RAM, abundant of harddisk space, DirectX
9.1c

I would think that old programs are not able to utilize the 1Gig RAM and is
the cause but I haven't tested that yet. Does anyone encountered this
problem before?
--
Steven Ung

"Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I manage to find my SC Cds, but there is just one slight problem. Two
> minutes upon connecting to BNet, my computer freeze, especially when
trying
> to locate games to join (the screen where you're able to change the game
> types ie, melee, FFA etc).
>
> AMD XP 1700, Windows 2000 SP4, 1Gig RAM, abundant of harddisk space,
DirectX
> 9.1c
>
> I would think that old programs are not able to utilize the 1Gig RAM and
is
> the cause but I haven't tested that yet. Does anyone encountered this
> problem before?

What Antivirus/firewall do you use?

Zonealarm and norton whatever it's called particularly dislike Starcraft.
(Simply disabling norton utilities is not sufficient, the services must be
stopped)

--
LTP

When the llama speaks you listen. Unfortunately the llama hasn't spoken
yet.

"Luc The Perverse" <sll_NOSPAM_zm@remove.cc.usu.edu> wrote in message
> "Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, I manage to find my SC Cds, but there is just one slight problem. Two
>> minutes upon connecting to BNet, my computer freeze, especially when
> trying
>> to locate games to join (the screen where you're able to change the game
>> types ie, melee, FFA etc).
>>
>> AMD XP 1700, Windows 2000 SP4, 1Gig RAM, abundant of harddisk space,
> DirectX
>> 9.1c
>>
>> I would think that old programs are not able to utilize the 1Gig RAM and
> is
>> the cause but I haven't tested that yet. Does anyone encountered this
>> problem before?
>
> What Antivirus/firewall do you use?
>
> Zonealarm and norton whatever it's called particularly dislike Starcraft.
> (Simply disabling norton utilities is not sufficient, the services must be
> stopped)

None ;)

I don't have aVza install
--
Steven Ung

> "Luc The Perverse" <sll_NOSPAM_zm@remove.cc.usu.edu> wrote in message
> > "Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> wrote in message
> >> Ok, I manage to find my SC Cds, but there is just one slight problem.
Two
> >> minutes upon connecting to BNet, my computer freeze, especially when
> > trying
> >> to locate games to join (the screen where you're able to change the
game
> >> types ie, melee, FFA etc).
> >>
> >> AMD XP 1700, Windows 2000 SP4, 1Gig RAM, abundant of harddisk space,
> > DirectX
> >> 9.1c
> >>
> >> I would think that old programs are not able to utilize the 1Gig RAM
and
> > is
> >> the cause but I haven't tested that yet. Does anyone encountered this
> >> problem before?
> >
> > What Antivirus/firewall do you use?
> >
> > Zonealarm and norton whatever it's called particularly dislike
Starcraft.
> > (Simply disabling norton utilities is not sufficient, the services must
be
> > stopped)
>
> None ;)
>
> I don't have aVza install

Check heat/driver issues/reinstall windows - delete spy ware etc.

--

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw> and realizing that it's a
small world after all, "Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> said:

>Ok, I manage to find my SC Cds, but there is just one slight problem. Two
>minutes upon connecting to BNet, my computer freeze, especially when trying
>to locate games to join (the screen where you're able to change the game
>types ie, melee, FFA etc).
>
>AMD XP 1700, Windows 2000 SP4, 1Gig RAM, abundant of harddisk space, DirectX
>9.1c
>
>I would think that old programs are not able to utilize the 1Gig RAM and is
>the cause but I haven't tested that yet. Does anyone encountered this
>problem before?

Uninstall
Restart
Reinstall
Restart
Upgrade with the stand-alone patch from blizzards website
Run game
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002

"jerk-o" <jerk-o@yomomma.org> wrote in message
> After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw> and realizing that it's a
> small world after all, "Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> said:
>
>>Ok, I manage to find my SC Cds, but there is just one slight problem. Two
>>minutes upon connecting to BNet, my computer freeze, especially when
>>trying
>>to locate games to join (the screen where you're able to change the game
>>types ie, melee, FFA etc).
>>
>>AMD XP 1700, Windows 2000 SP4, 1Gig RAM, abundant of harddisk space,
>>DirectX
>>9.1c
>>
>>I would think that old programs are not able to utilize the 1Gig RAM and
>>is
>>the cause but I haven't tested that yet. Does anyone encountered this
>>problem before?
>
> Uninstall
> Restart
> Reinstall
> Restart
> Upgrade with the stand-alone patch from blizzards website
> Run game

You forgot the part where I should insert the CDs and switching the PC on :p
--
Steven Ung

> "jerk-o" <jerk-o@yomomma.org> wrote in message
> > After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw> and realizing that it's a
> > small world after all, "Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> said:
> >
> >>Ok, I manage to find my SC Cds, but there is just one slight problem.
Two
> >>minutes upon connecting to BNet, my computer freeze, especially when
> >>trying
> >>to locate games to join (the screen where you're able to change the game
> >>types ie, melee, FFA etc).
> >>
> >>AMD XP 1700, Windows 2000 SP4, 1Gig RAM, abundant of harddisk space,
> >>DirectX
> >>9.1c
> >>
> >>I would think that old programs are not able to utilize the 1Gig RAM and
> >>is
> >>the cause but I haven't tested that yet. Does anyone encountered this
> >>problem before?
> >
> > Uninstall
> > Restart
> > Reinstall
> > Restart
> > Upgrade with the stand-alone patch from blizzards website
> > Run game
>
> You forgot the part where I should insert the CDs and switching the PC on
:p

It is probably the evil anti starcraft virus. Make it die

--
LTP

When the llama speaks you listen. Unfortunately the llama hasn't spoken
yet.

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw> and realizing that it's a
small world after all, "Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> said:

>"jerk-o" <jerk-o@yomomma.org> wrote in message
>> After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw> and realizing that it's a
>> small world after all, "Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> said:
>>
>>>Ok, I manage to find my SC Cds, but there is just one slight problem. Two
>>>minutes upon connecting to BNet, my computer freeze, especially when
>>>trying
>>>to locate games to join (the screen where you're able to change the game
>>>types ie, melee, FFA etc).
>>>
>>>AMD XP 1700, Windows 2000 SP4, 1Gig RAM, abundant of harddisk space,
>>>DirectX
>>>9.1c
>>>
>>>I would think that old programs are not able to utilize the 1Gig RAM and
>>>is
>>>the cause but I haven't tested that yet. Does anyone encountered this
>>>problem before?
>>
>> Uninstall
>> Restart
>> Reinstall
>> Restart
>> Upgrade with the stand-alone patch from blizzards website
>> Run game
>
>You forgot the part where I should insert the CDs and switching the PC on :p

Well, I figured that since you're a network-administrator-type-person that you
know enough about computers to complete the extra steps needed to do what I told
you. ;-p
--

> "Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> wrote in message
>> "jerk-o" <jerk-o@yomomma.org> wrote in message
>> > After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw> and realizing that it's a

> Two

>> > Uninstall
>> > Restart
>> > Reinstall
>> > Restart
>> > Upgrade with the stand-alone patch from blizzards website
>> > Run game
>>
>> You forgot the part where I should insert the CDs and switching the PC on
> :p
>
> It is probably the evil anti starcraft virus. Make it die

Like I've said, no AV or Firewall installed.
--
Steven Ung

> > It is probably the evil anti starcraft virus. Make it die
>

> Like I've said, no AV or Firewall installed.

The anti SC virus is supported by Norton, McAfee and Microsoft who each have
stakes in their own games either directly or through sister companies.

--

> After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw> and realizing that it's a
> small world after all, "Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> said:
>
>>"jerk-o" <jerk-o@yomomma.org> wrote in message
>>> After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw> and realizing that it's a

>>> Uninstall
>>> Restart
>>> Reinstall
>>> Restart
>>> Upgrade with the stand-alone patch from blizzards website
>>> Run game
>>
>>You forgot the part where I should insert the CDs and switching the PC on
>>:p
>
> Well, I figured that since you're a network-administrator-type-person that
> you
> know enough about computers to complete the extra steps needed to do what
> I told
> you. ;-p

IT Manager as compared to Network administrator - big difference. Our tasks
is to 'manage' the people and get screwed/praised for their work :D
--
Steven Ung

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw> and realizing that it's a
small world after all, "Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> said:

>"jerk-o" <jerk-o@yomomma.org> wrote in message
>> After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw> and realizing that it's a
>> small world after all, "Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> said:
>>
>>>"jerk-o" <jerk-o@yomomma.org> wrote in message

>>>You forgot the part where I should insert the CDs and switching the PC on
>>>:p
>>
>> Well, I figured that since you're a network-administrator-type-person that
>> you
>> know enough about computers to complete the extra steps needed to do what
>> I told
>> you. ;-p
>

>IT Manager as compared to Network administrator - big difference. Our tasks
>is to 'manage' the people and get screwed/praised for their work :D

Ah...

So, does that mean you have to whip them hard enough to get them to work, but
not hard enough that Byers wants to film you doing it so he can add another film
to his "German Dungeon Pron" collection?
--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002
http://www.geocities.com/nameless_mod
-My Diablo 2 Mod
-My theme song

Archived from groups: alt.games.starcraft (More info?)

"Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> wrote in message
> Ok, I manage to find my SC Cds, but there is just one slight problem. Two
> minutes upon connecting to BNet, my computer freeze, especially when
> trying to locate games to join (the screen where you're able to change the
> game types ie, melee, FFA etc).
>
> AMD XP 1700, Windows 2000 SP4, 1Gig RAM, abundant of harddisk space,
> DirectX 9.1c
>
> I would think that old programs are not able to utilize the 1Gig RAM and
> is the cause but I haven't tested that yet. Does anyone encountered this
> problem before?
Not when I last connected to B.Net with SC. I've also got 1 gig RAM (Ok P4
3Ghz, win XP Pro SP2). From my experience with programming, RAM is managed
by the OS. The main reson why games like to specify a minimum RAM
requirement is so that all the program can be run using RAM (and not the
swap file), therefore providing decent performance (given that accessing RAM
is considerably faster than accessing the hard disk).
--
Marsh Lion
Life is an audition

"Marsh Lion" <bbarnes@SPAMParadise.net.nz> wrote in message

> "Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> wrote in message
>> Ok, I manage to find my SC Cds, but there is just one slight problem. Two
>> minutes upon connecting to BNet, my computer freeze, especially when
>> trying to locate games to join (the screen where you're able to change
>> the game types ie, melee, FFA etc).
>>
>> AMD XP 1700, Windows 2000 SP4, 1Gig RAM, abundant of harddisk space,
>> DirectX 9.1c
>>
>> I would think that old programs are not able to utilize the 1Gig RAM and
>> is the cause but I haven't tested that yet. Does anyone encountered this
>> problem before?
> Not when I last connected to B.Net with SC. I've also got 1 gig RAM (Ok P4
> 3Ghz, win XP Pro SP2). From my experience with programming, RAM is managed
> by the OS. The main reson why games like to specify a minimum RAM
> requirement is so that all the program can be run using RAM (and not the
> swap file), therefore providing decent performance (given that accessing
> RAM is considerably faster than accessing the hard disk).

I guess I'll just have to reinstall and see how it goes.

--
Steven Ung

> "Marsh Lion" <bbarnes@SPAMParadise.net.nz> wrote in message
> >
> > "Steven Ung" <steven@nodomainname.com> wrote in message
> >> Ok, I manage to find my SC Cds, but there is just one slight problem.
Two
> >> minutes upon connecting to BNet, my computer freeze, especially when
> >> trying to locate games to join (the screen where you're able to change
> >> the game types ie, melee, FFA etc).
> >>
> >> AMD XP 1700, Windows 2000 SP4, 1Gig RAM, abundant of harddisk space,
> >> DirectX 9.1c
> >>
> >> I would think that old programs are not able to utilize the 1Gig RAM
and
> >> is the cause but I haven't tested that yet. Does anyone encountered
this
> >> problem before?
> > Not when I last connected to B.Net with SC. I've also got 1 gig RAM (Ok
P4
> > 3Ghz, win XP Pro SP2). From my experience with programming, RAM is
managed
> > by the OS. The main reson why games like to specify a minimum RAM
> > requirement is so that all the program can be run using RAM (and not the
> > swap file), therefore providing decent performance (given that accessing
> > RAM is considerably faster than accessing the hard disk).
>
> I guess I'll just have to reinstall and see how it goes.

May the farse be with you

-LTP

:)