Confused over Administrator User

I've read that if there is a User profile other than Administrator
existing, then the Administrator user will not show at the signon
screen _unless in Safe Mode_.

I am using WinXPpro SP2. My memory does not serve me well enough, but
I now have: Admin, Another Username, and Guest showing at the signon
screen when in Normal mode. I might have changed the first User
account five times since getting this PC in January,; it presently
shows as Admin and I have assigned a password to it.

How can I prove that the "Admin" user actually is or is not the
Windows XP administrator account ? Need to clarify this issue before
going through with copying data files from the existing "Admin" user
profile to another profile for my daily routine usage.

Perhaps I need to go into Safe Mode and search for an ADMINISTRATOR
user profile there ?

Thanks.
11 answers Last reply
More about confused administrator user

    Vince wrote:

    > I've read that if there is a User profile other than Administrator
    > existing, then the Administrator user will not show at the signon
    > screen _unless in Safe Mode_.

    This only applies to XP Home.

    To check accounts use the following command from Start - Run:
    "control userpasswords2" without quotation marks.

    The default administrator account is named Administrator, not Admin. It is
    possible, though inadvisable, to rename this. To see what accounts really
    exist (and whether the original Administrator account was renamed) open
    Users Accounts from Control Panel and see what users are shown. Note that
    renaming a user does not rename the user directory under Documents and
    Settings. You might also see what is shown there (e.g. is there both an
    Administrator and Admin folder?).
    --

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:50:37 GMT, Vince wrote:

    > I've read that if there is a User profile other than Administrator
    > existing, then the Administrator user will not show at the signon
    > screen _unless in Safe Mode_.
    >
    > I am using WinXPpro SP2. My memory does not serve me well enough, but
    > I now have: Admin, Another Username, and Guest showing at the signon
    > screen when in Normal mode. I might have changed the first User
    > account five times since getting this PC in January,; it presently
    > shows as Admin and I have assigned a password to it.
    >
    > How can I prove that the "Admin" user actually is or is not the
    > Windows XP administrator account ? Need to clarify this issue before
    > going through with copying data files from the existing "Admin" user
    > profile to another profile for my daily routine usage.
    >

    > Perhaps I need to go into Safe Mode and search for an ADMINISTRATOR
    > user profile there ?
    >
    > Thanks.

    When XP is installed a default account in the administrator group is
    created. The name of that account is Administrator. When another account
    *within the administrator group* is created, the one named Administrator
    drops off of the welcome screen. It is recommended to allow this to happen
    and to keep that account in reserve for troubleshooting purposes.

    To find out if you're still using that original Administrator account or
    not, open Computer Management in Administrative Tools. In the left hand
    column, navigate to Local Users and Groups> Users. Click on Users and look
    in the right hand pane.

    If you are not using the default Administrator account as your own, you
    will see at least the following accounts:
    Administrator
    Admin
    Another Username
    Guest

    If on the other hand you see:
    Admin
    Another Username
    Guest

    Then you are still using the original Administrator account. It still
    appears on the welcome screen because no other account in the
    administrative group was created. (You have no spare administrative
    account for troubleshooting purposes.)

    Since you have XP Pro, the bit about booting to Safe Mode to log on with
    the built-in Administrator account does not apply to your system.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    GTS wrote:
    > The default administrator account is named Administrator, not Admin. It is
    > possible, though inadvisable, to rename this.

    "Inadvisable," why? For many years now, one of the standard and most
    basic of security measures taken by any organization with a competent IT
    department is to rename the built-in Administrator account. I've never
    worked anywhere where this practice has not been followed, starting from
    the days of WinNT.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    At the logon screen, hit CTRL-ALTN and DEL DEL. Don't confuse this with
    CTRL-ALTN and Del

    It should show the old type sign in page and enter administrator and a
    password. If you did not set one up, try it without a password.

    Clark

    "Vince" <NoSPAM2THISHAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > I've read that if there is a User profile other than Administrator
    > existing, then the Administrator user will not show at the signon
    > screen _unless in Safe Mode_.
    >
    > I am using WinXPpro SP2. My memory does not serve me well enough, but
    > I now have: Admin, Another Username, and Guest showing at the signon
    > screen when in Normal mode. I might have changed the first User
    > account five times since getting this PC in January,; it presently
    > shows as Admin and I have assigned a password to it.
    >
    > How can I prove that the "Admin" user actually is or is not the
    > Windows XP administrator account ? Need to clarify this issue before
    > going through with copying data files from the existing "Admin" user
    > profile to another profile for my daily routine usage.
    >

    > Perhaps I need to go into Safe Mode and search for an ADMINISTRATOR
    > user profile there ?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Run/regedit... navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList] and create a new Dword
    "Administrator" - without quotation marks. Then, change the default value
    from 0 to 1 - i.e., right-click on the newly created Adminisrtator DWord,
    click Modify, and in the value dialog box that opens change the value from 0
    to 1. Close regedit and reboot.
    Your Administrator account will be available together with your other
    account(s). You will need tha password that you created at XP install - if
    any.
    To hide Administrator simply modify the value 1 back to 0 in the above
    mentioned registry key.
    Michael

    > GTS wrote:
    >> The default administrator account is named Administrator, not Admin. It
    >> is possible, though inadvisable, to rename this.
    >

    > "Inadvisable," why? For many years now, one of the standard and most
    > basic of security measures taken by any organization with a competent IT
    > department is to rename the built-in Administrator account. I've never
    > worked anywhere where this practice has not been followed, starting from
    > the days of WinNT.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Bruce Chambers

    Good point. I was thinking of the many home user cases I've seen where
    users have renamed the Administrator account and are using it as their
    personal login (and it's the only account on the machine) as contrasted to
    creating a new user when setting up the computer. Creating a user account
    AD renaming the Administrator for security purposes is definitely the way to
    go. Thanks for the clarification.

    GTS wrote:

    >>"Inadvisable," why? For many years now, one of the standard and most
    >>basic of security measures taken by any organization with a competent IT
    >>department is to rename the built-in Administrator account. I've never
    >>worked anywhere where this practice has not been followed, starting from
    >>the days of WinNT.
    >>

    > Good point. I was thinking of the many home user cases I've seen where
    > users have renamed the Administrator account and are using it as their
    > personal login (and it's the only account on the machine) as contrasted to
    > creating a new user when setting up the computer.

    Ah... I've encountered plenty of people unwisely using the
    Administrator account for daily use, but none that had also renamed it.
    I see what you were driving at, now.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 20:23:32 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:50:37 GMT, Vince wrote:
    >
    >> I've read that if there is a User profile other than Administrator
    >> existing, then the Administrator user will not show at the signon
    >> screen _unless in Safe Mode_.
    >>
    >> I am using WinXPpro SP2. My memory does not serve me well enough, but
    >> I now have: Admin, Another Username, and Guest showing at the signon
    >> screen when in Normal mode. I might have changed the first User
    >> account five times since getting this PC in January,; it presently
    >> shows as Admin and I have assigned a password to it.
    >>
    >> How can I prove that the "Admin" user actually is or is not the
    >> Windows XP administrator account ? Need to clarify this issue before
    >> going through with copying data files from the existing "Admin" user
    >> profile to another profile for my daily routine usage.
    >>

    >> Perhaps I need to go into Safe Mode and search for an ADMINISTRATOR
    >> user profile there ?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >
    >When XP is installed a default account in the administrator group is
    >created. The name of that account is Administrator. When another account
    >*within the administrator group* is created, the one named Administrator
    >drops off of the welcome screen. It is recommended to allow this to happen
    >and to keep that account in reserve for troubleshooting purposes.
    >
    >To find out if you're still using that original Administrator account or
    >not, open Computer Management in Administrative Tools. In the left hand
    >column, navigate to Local Users and Groups> Users. Click on Users and look
    >in the right hand pane.
    >
    >If you are not using the default Administrator account as your own, you
    >will see at least the following accounts:
    >Administrator
    >Admin
    >Another Username
    >Guest
    >
    >If on the other hand you see:
    >Admin
    >Another Username
    >Guest
    >
    >Then you are still using the original Administrator account. It still
    >appears on the welcome screen because no other account in the
    >administrative group was created. (You have no spare administrative
    >account for troubleshooting purposes.)
    >
    >Since you have XP Pro, the bit about booting to Safe Mode to log on with
    >the built-in Administrator account does not apply to your system.

    Hello Sharon:

    It is possible that I am beginning to understand, or continuing to
    become even more confused ---

    I wish that I knew the default user name at time of installation that
    showed at the sign on screen: was it "ADMIN", "Admin", or
    "Administrator" ???

    I added an additional user this morning: "WA2RSX". Then I printed and
    followed your instructions.

    When viewing the Local Users and groups> Users right hand pane, I see
    column headings: Name/Full Name/Description. I also took a peek at
    the Properties- "Member of" for each user account:

    Name Full Name Description (Member of)

    Administrator -blank Builtin account for ..(Administrators)

    Grand Grand -blank (Administrators
    Users)

    Guest -blank Builtin account for ...(Guest)

    Vince-WA2RSX ADMIN -blank (Administrators)

    WA2RSX WA2RSX -blank (Users)

    There are several other user acconts listed, but I am certain that I
    never generated or logged on with any of those others.

    At this point, there are three user account names that are members in
    the Administrators group.

    The "Vince-WA2RSX" account does not show in the listing of Users at
    the sign on Welcome screen. (It is also a name that I recall
    generating early on, when first getting this PC in January, possibly
    as a substitute for the default name of ADMIN????).

    So, based on the above information, I think that it is the
    Vince-WA2RSX account that is/was the default administrator account
    name, since that is the one account that does not show at the sign on
    Welcome screen? Do you agree?
    If that is the case, then I should then apply a secure password for
    that user?? Do you agree?

    How can I prove my suspicions?

    I am presently logged on as user: ADMIN (as spelled at the sign on
    Welcome screen). When viewing an expanded directory tree of My
    Computer, separate folders exist for:

    Grand's Documents
    Guest's Documents
    ADMIN's Documents (reflects daily usage since January)
    and
    WA2RSX's Documents.

    .....None for Vince-WA2RSX's Documents at this tree level....

    However, when I expand Local Drive C: and then expand Documents and
    Settings, I see folders associated by names as:

    Adminstrator
    All users
    GRAND
    Guest
    Vince-WA2RSX (reflects daily usage since January)
    WA2RSX

    Does each member of the Administrators group have equal authority ?

    My suspicion at this point is that Vince-WA2RSX is associated with the
    user account named ADMIN that I have been logging on with.

    Thanks again.

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:36:56 GMT, Vince wrote:

    > Hello Sharon:
    >
    > It is possible that I am beginning to understand, or continuing to
    > become even more confused ---
    >
    > I wish that I knew the default user name at time of installation that
    > showed at the sign on screen: was it "ADMIN", "Admin", or
    > "Administrator" ???
    >

    > I added an additional user this morning: "WA2RSX". Then I printed and
    > followed your instructions.
    >
    > When viewing the Local Users and groups> Users right hand pane, I see
    > column headings: Name/Full Name/Description. I also took a peek at
    > the Properties- "Member of" for each user account:
    >
    > Name Full Name Description (Member of)
    >
    > Administrator -blank Builtin account for ..(Administrators)
    >
    > Grand Grand -blank (Administrators
    > Users)
    >
    > Guest -blank Builtin account for ...(Guest)
    >
    > Vince-WA2RSX ADMIN -blank (Administrators)
    >
    > WA2RSX WA2RSX -blank (Users)
    >

    > There are several other user acconts listed, but I am certain that I
    > never generated or logged on with any of those others.
    >

    > At this point, there are three user account names that are members in
    > the Administrators group.
    >
    > The "Vince-WA2RSX" account does not show in the listing of Users at
    > the sign on Welcome screen. (It is also a name that I recall
    > generating early on, when first getting this PC in January, possibly
    > as a substitute for the default name of ADMIN????).
    >
    > So, based on the above information, I think that it is the
    > Vince-WA2RSX account that is/was the default administrator account
    > name, since that is the one account that does not show at the sign on
    > Welcome screen? Do you agree?
    > If that is the case, then I should then apply a secure password for
    > that user?? Do you agree?
    >
    > How can I prove my suspicions?
    >

    > I am presently logged on as user: ADMIN (as spelled at the sign on
    > Welcome screen). When viewing an expanded directory tree of My
    > Computer, separate folders exist for:
    >
    > Grand's Documents
    > Guest's Documents
    > ADMIN's Documents (reflects daily usage since January)
    > and
    > WA2RSX's Documents.
    >
    > ....None for Vince-WA2RSX's Documents at this tree level....
    >
    > However, when I expand Local Drive C: and then expand Documents and
    > Settings, I see folders associated by names as:
    >
    > Adminstrator
    > All users
    > GRAND
    > Guest
    > Vince-WA2RSX (reflects daily usage since January)
    > WA2RSX
    >
    > Does each member of the Administrators group have equal authority ?
    >
    > My suspicion at this point is that Vince-WA2RSX is associated with the
    > user account named ADMIN that I have been logging on with.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Admin isn't used by XP at all. Going by other details you've posted,
    someone renamed an account to Admin.

    Remember that renaming an account only changes the "friendly" name of the
    user account. It does not change the name of that user's folders.

    Maybe the following will help you to match up your user names and their
    folders:

    While logged on to an account, click Start> Run and type in
    %userprofile%
    Windows Explorer will open and will be displaying the folders belonging to
    that user.

    As far as putting passwords on accounts, my vote goes to "yes." Especially
    accounts belonging to the administrator group since they have full rein in
    accessing and configuring the entire system.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    wrote:

    >On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 23:50:37 GMT, Vince wrote:
    >
    >> I've read that if there is a User profile other than Administrator
    >> existing, then the Administrator user will not show at the signon
    >> screen _unless in Safe Mode_.
    >>
    >> I am using WinXPpro SP2. My memory does not serve me well enough, but
    >> I now have: Admin, Another Username, and Guest showing at the signon
    >> screen when in Normal mode. I might have changed the first User
    >> account five times since getting this PC in January,; it presently
    >> shows as Admin and I have assigned a password to it.
    >>
    >> How can I prove that the "Admin" user actually is or is not the
    >> Windows XP administrator account ? Need to clarify this issue before
    >> going through with copying data files from the existing "Admin" user
    >> profile to another profile for my daily routine usage.
    >>

    >> Perhaps I need to go into Safe Mode and search for an ADMINISTRATOR
    >> user profile there ?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >
    >When XP is installed a default account in the administrator group is
    >created. The name of that account is Administrator. When another account
    >*within the administrator group* is created, the one named Administrator
    >drops off of the welcome screen. It is recommended to allow this to happen
    >and to keep that account in reserve for troubleshooting purposes.
    >
    >To find out if you're still using that original Administrator account or
    >not, open Computer Management in Administrative Tools. In the left hand
    >column, navigate to Local Users and Groups> Users. Click on Users and look
    >in the right hand pane.

    After doing what you suggested above, I see a named account showing as
    "Vince-WA2RSX". That name rings a bell for my memory. It was
    probably the first renamed user account. The "Full Name" column shows
    ADMIN whereas the "Name" column shows Vince-WA2RSX.

    When the Local Disk C:/Document and Settings folder is expanded, the
    directory tree includes a Vince-WA2RSX folder. It is this folder that
    my daily operations, since getting this PC in January, are reflected
    into. In addition, folders associated with the named accounts:
    Administrator, Another Username, and Guest exist in the directory
    tree.

    >If you are not using the default Administrator account as your own, you
    >will see at least the following accounts:
    >Administrator
    >Admin
    >Another Username
    >Guest
    >
    >If on the other hand you see:
    >Admin
    >Another Username
    >Guest
    >
    >Then you are still using the original Administrator account. It still
    >appears on the welcome screen because no other account in the
    >administrative group was created. (You have no spare administrative
    >account for troubleshooting purposes.)

    I now have three users that are members of the Administrators group.

    >Since you have XP Pro, the bit about booting to Safe Mode to log on with
    >the built-in Administrator account does not apply to your system.

Safe Mode Windows XP