MSI P35 Neo2-FR LGA w/ Q6600 won't boot

mcr27

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I just built a new system and it won't boot up at all. The LED's say that the CPU is installed incorrectly. I flashed CMOS, but no luck. Everything powers up, but no signal is sent to the monitor. 8800gts has the little led on by it, so the motherboard sees it.

Obi-Wan-Shinobi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
I don't know if it's just my set-up. But my Neo2-FR has the wierdest boot-up sequence I've ever seen. It powers everything on for a couple of seconds. Then it powers down. Then it boots up properly. If I unplug the power lead and plug it back in. It does this twice, but the first time is longer before it powers down and all the LEDS stay at red. I have no idea whether this is a problem or part of it's diagnostic features. My suggestion, turn it on and leave it on for a bit. Or just keep hitting the reset button. I think I had the same problem when I first built the machine.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I have no expirience with that mobo, but have you taken the HSF and CPU back out and reseated it all corectly? Sometimes its the most basic things that screw ya up.

mcr27

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Thx for the tips guys. I'll see if I can get it goin' tonight. Last night I tried from midnight to 1 and gave up b/c I had to work early.

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Check a few things:

1. The 4 pin CPU connector is in. (This happens a lot w/ very similar symptoms that you are describing.

2. Make sure the red switch on the back of your PSU is set to 115 and not 220.

3. Use one stick of RAM and try it in different slots. (Some motherboards are very picky about where RAM is placed)

Also, please tell me that you used stand-offs. This is not a question, but a command!

davonator

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Check my sig, built it recently.

I had a memory problem, also took couple starts after taking out the defeact memory. System seems to do a few checks first before finally starting up.

Dont know if this makes a difference, I have used 2x CPU 4pin power plugs, 1x old harddrive 4pin power connection in to the MB for the PCI-e and Pci slots (They say you only need this if all Pci slots are populated)

I use Corsair XMS 6400C4, 1.8v 5-5-5-18, all i did for the O/C was change the jumper on the MB from 266fsb to 333fsb. Didn't need to touch the Bios.
This is my first system to be overclocked

I love the board, I hope you find a solution soon.