WD Velociraptor not seen by Vista when installing OS

Evonlee

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
I am trying to install Vista onto a WD Velociraptor. When the box that is supposed to show which drive to choose to install the OS on, there are no drives shown for me to choose. The computer says it cannot find any drives.
The Velociraptor came new without a driver disc so I have no drivers to install. I have tried it with RAID disabled, enabled and enabled with ports 1-3 enabled, as I have three drives, and with RAID enabled but all four ports disabled. It never sees the new drive.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Evonlee

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Used an old copy of XP to delete the partition and then create a new one, stopped the install of XP and inserted Vista disc and restarted PC. Drive was seen and Vista was installed in less than half the time as it took for my older, 7200 rpm drives! Got a restful sleep!
thanks!

Evonlee

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
Yes it is odd. Also i have found that my 750 watt pwr sply isnt big enough to run the new drive plus one other. Oh well...

G

lol ahsi is a new sata that support a Linux linpus Lol you need to change sata to NAtive. Heee Hee

What are you talking about? AHCI is usable for Windows, and it supports more advanced and higher performance modes for the drive. It isn't Linux related at all.

Oh, and learn how to communicate clearly. It helps. A lot.