febrero2000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello,

Please i need a bit of help, I've just built a new pc from scratch for the first time (took 6 hours and i'm half dead) and there is something i dont understand with both the frequencys of the cpu and memory.

the setup is the following:

Intel E6850
Gygabite P35-DS4
4x kingston hyperx 2GB 800MHz DDR2

Basically after starting the pc and looking into the bios i find the following:

My problem is that i thougt the bios defaulted the correct settings for both the cpu and memory, i was wrong.

What do i have to do? Taking into account that i dont want to OC for the moment only leave the correct settings.

1) CPU --> I suppose i have to put 333, but do i have to change anything else?

2) Memory --> I'm lost here, i guess 4,4,4,12 but what else do i have to change?

If possible i would need help with all the settings that need changing. Thank you very much.

Here is the info on the memory from the web of kingston.

Non-ECC Low-Latency CL4 NVIDIA SLI-READY (Kit of 2) 4-4-4-12 2.0V

Kingston's KHX6400D2LLK2/2GN is a kit of two low-latency 128M x 64-bit 1GB (1024MB)
DDR2-800 CL4 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) memory modules that are NVIDIA® SLI™ -Ready.
Both modules are based on sixteen 64M x 8-bit DDR2 FBGA components. Total kit capacity is 2GB
(2048MB). Each module pair has been tested to run at DDR2 800MHz at low latency timing of
4-4-4-12 at 2.0V. The SPD is programmed to JEDEC standard latency 800Mhz timing of 5-5-5-15-2T
at 1.9V

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
U have to manually set memory correct timings and voltage. First set the voltage to 2.0v, save Bios settings then restart, and enter Bios again and check memory timings again . If still reading timings at 5, then u have to manually set the correct timings. Does 333 recognize cpu as E6850? if yes, it remains untouch, dont make any changes in cpu area.

febrero2000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for your answer, but i still dont get it: (and i'm afraid i cant try it till this afternoon when i get back from work)

When you say set the voltage to 2.0v do you mean in the system voltage contol? or in the cpu voltage control? (or in another one?).

After that change, if i understand correctly, it should change automatically both the timings of the memory and the cpu host frequency from 266 to 333? is tha correct?

thanks.

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
set 2.0v in DDR2 voltage control only.After u have done this, save Bios Setting by pressing F10 I belive and restart. Now memory should be reading timings at 4. Then login to windows then Right click My Computer- Properties- In General check your cpu speed, if not reading at 3.0 ghz, you manually have to set cpu speed on Bios or set to automatic(300ghz I believe) but dont change any Cpu voltage.

maxxum

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I have that board and CPU but faster RAM... It looks like someone probably already changed the default settings on that board. Clear the BIOS then load the optimal defaults save and reboot. The board should automatically see everything correctly else something is wrong. Even OCed to 3.4 I didn't have to mess with voltage.

febrero2000

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello maxxum,

Thanks for your answer but it leaves me, if possible, more worried than I was already :)

So from what you say the MB should have set everything correctly by default!!

I will try to reset everything to default settings, but I don’t see how this could have been changed (by whom, not me of course..) and also I already see the settings of the cpu by default, and its clocking to 266 not 333, could this mean a bogus cpu! (I know I’m starting to get a bit paranoid, bear with me I’m not in front of the pc and it’s the first time I build one from scratch)…

rickpcnerd

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
the first thing u should do before installing windows is to Flash Bios.If u havent, flash the bios This fixes error system might have, like cpu or memory compatibility, and bugs.