Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Constant hard drive activity

Last response: in Windows Vista
October 14, 2011 4:50:25 PM

Hi All,
I have Vista Home Premium.
My Hard Disk is constantly active after bootup. Some thing is just working it like crazy.
It slows my Computer to a crawl.
I run AVG, and Windows Security essentials. They show no problems or viruses or any other bad stuff.
I look at task manager and don't see anything out of the ordinary.
I'm thinking that there may be some Virus,Malware,Spyware or something nasty has sneaked through my security. Anyone have a suggestion as what it might be ? I am so fed up with it that I am ready to do a system restore to original factory config thus loosinge all my files etc. My Autosave restore only goes back a few weeks. Not far enough.
Thanks in advance.
-trent-
October 14, 2011 5:45:03 PM

-trent- said:
Hi All,
I have Vista Home Premium.
My Hard Disk is constantly active after bootup. Some thing is just working it like crazy.
It slows my Computer to a crawl.
I run AVG, and Windows Security essentials. They show no problems or viruses or any other bad stuff.
I'm thinking that there may be some Virus,Malware,Spyware or something nasty has sneaked through my security. Anyone have a suggestion as what it might be ? I am so fed up with it that I am ready to do a system restore to original factory config thus loosinge all my files etc. My Autosave restore only goes back a few weeks. Not far enough.
Thanks in advance.
-trent-

Two things:
1) chkdsk /r on your drive.
2) Diagnostics from your computer MFG or hard drive MFG.
Score
October 15, 2011 5:15:24 AM

Also what are your system specs ? (Could be the system swap file if you are low on RAM )
Score
Related resources
October 22, 2011 5:16:29 PM

2 MB Ram, Plenty of free Ram for Pagefile left.
Score
October 22, 2011 6:01:56 PM

-trent- said:
2 MB Ram, Plenty of free Ram for Pagefile left.

I just saw this (above)
Why are you running 2 Anti Viruses ? Get rid of one of them !
Score
October 22, 2011 11:31:56 PM

That would be a great thing to do : )
Score
October 23, 2011 2:26:30 AM

-trent- said:
Thanks in advance.
-trent-

What exactly do you have running in startup in your task manager. All you really need checked in there is "One" of those Anti Virs. Anything else that's checked in there is only taking up resources and making that HDD work overtime. Your machine could also be working on some background scans or scheduled defrag. Just a couple suggestions.
Score
October 23, 2011 9:25:06 PM

ksiemb said:
Two things:
1) chkdsk /r on your drive.
2) Diagnostics from your computer MFG or hard drive MFG.

Thanks for the reply.
I did both things and there were no issues.
Score
October 23, 2011 9:28:44 PM

ksiemb said:

I just saw this (above)
Why are you running 2 Anti Viruses ? Get rid of one of them !

Thanks for the reply.
I thought running 2 would be better. Figured only problem might be duplicate findings.
I went ahead and uninstalled the AVG and am just running the Microsoft Security Essentials now,
but the problem is still there after rebooting etc.
Task Manager Applications and Processes show AVG not active.

Score
October 23, 2011 9:31:19 PM

beauknowsdiddly said:
What exactly do you have running in startup in your task manager. All you really need checked in there is "One" of those Anti Virs. Anything else that's checked in there is only taking up resources and making that HDD work overtime. Your machine could also be working on some background scans or scheduled defrag. Just a couple suggestions.

Thanks for the reply.
My Startup folder is empty.
Scans and defrag are all set for manual not automatic.
Score
October 23, 2011 11:24:36 PM

-trent- said:
Thanks for the reply.
I thought running 2 would be better. Figured only problem might be duplicate findings.
I went ahead and uninstalled the AVG and am just running the Microsoft Security Essentials now,
but the problem is still there after rebooting etc.
Task Manager Applications and Processes show AVG not active.

You may have hardware interrupts occurring incessantly. Sysinternals Process Explorer (much more informative than Task Manager) will show this. (System Interrupts - Hardware Interrupts & DPC)

You may have done this; Didn't go back to read whole thread.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070830090...
Score
November 3, 2011 3:53:17 PM

Well, none of the suggestions here worked.
I appreciate all of your efforts.
Looks like it's time to format etc.
Score
!