Overclocking a laptop, I need info.

jesusgotcaught

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Ok, So before I start off I'd like to say that I've never overclocked anything before, and I don't really know too much about it.

I'm going to buy a Mac Book Pro off of ebay, and I'm looking at the 2.16 ghz models.
Is it possible to overclock a laptop?
Is it reasonable to overclock this processor from 2.16 to 2.6 ?

Are there any drastic disadvantages to overclocking a laptop? I can guess that the the battery life will be negatively affected, but does anyone know about how much overclocking the processor will impact it?

The laptop cpu:
Processor Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz
Multi-core Technology Dual-Core
Data Bus Speed 667 MHz
Features Enhanced SpeedStep technology, power-optimized processor system bus, Execute Disable Bit capability

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Other than battery life, there's also heat. Laptops don't have the coolers needed to disperse the heat.

Most likely, you won't be able to oc at all, as those laptop motherboard bios does not support oc.

geotech

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Macs run very hot, my macbook is 2.16GHz. I would never try to OC a laptop, I didn't even figure you could do it on a mac.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Some of the mac hardware has bridges that set speed on the motherboard, does this include notebooks, I don't know. Is it possible? You bet. Is it easy? No.
Some where out on the interwebs is a guy that has done just what you ask.
All you need to do is find him and see if it's worth it to you.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
well i don't think most people buy laptops for OC-ing. i think a c2d 2.16ghz is good enough for the things people normally do with a laptop.

i agree with everyone above...not worth it