Need help on next RAM purchase

I’m looking to upgrade (with future upgrades in mind) the RAM on my motherboard. My mobo is a ASUS P5W DH Deluxe. It can handle DDR2, 240-pin modules at 800, 667 and 533 GHz.

I currently have to 2 Gigs of Corsair 533 GHz RAM. I do not overclock my CPU. My current CPU is Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4 GHz.

I know at some point (in the next 12 to 18 months) I’ll upgrade the CPU and mobo. I’d like to recycle the RAM if possible into a future configuration

Is it worth getting 4 gigs of DDR2 800 GHz Ram? Or would I be better served by getting a new mobo & RAM and keep the same CPU? Is DDR3 RAM the future?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about need purchase
  1. I'm no expert on these things, but Tom's hardware recently ran an article in which is said that performance increases form ddr3 weren't yet worth the cost.

My guess: It's not really clear what the world is going to look like in 12-18 months, since Intel's new Nehalem architecture is due out this year. This may or may not influence RAM requirements and prices. I know that Nehalem will move the memory controller from mobo to die, but I don't understand this stuff well enough to know what that means for RAM; it's supposed to re-dig a grave for AMD and bury them six feet *further* under with seven extra nails in the coffin for good measure (but never believe the hype.) And of course, I have no idea whether Nehalem is going to have reasonably priced/performance processors or whether a Wolfdale is going to be the proc for the near future.

On the other hand, RAM is SOOOOO cheap right now, you might as well just grab 2x1GB CAS 5 DDR2 800MHz for $50.

So there's the opinion of a guy who prefaced all of this with "I have no special clue what I'm talking about.
  2. philosofool said:

On the other hand, RAM is SOOOOO cheap right now, you might as well just grab 2x1GB CAS 5 DDR2 800MHz for $50.

Absolutely!
    Get the Ram now and worry about everything else in 12-20 months…

You cant go wrong.

**It is likely you’ll be throwing away the DDR2-800 in 12-20 months anyhow.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM CPUs