The exception unknown software exception 0xc000000008)

GeoSci64

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
When I boot - I end up with this notice in a box:

the exception unknown software exception 0xc000000008) occurred in the application at location 0x7c9666c6.

Clicking OK or CANCEL allows me to go on - but something is wrong. Sometimes I just get a WINDOWS SCREEN but the items in the TASK BAR are blue boxes rather than Start, etc. and at other times the "Blue Screen" shows up.

I have scanned using Norton, MalwareBits and Adaware and done the registry cleaner, etc. using Advanced System Care.

My fear is I will freeze up . Data is backed up via MOZY and on external HD.

Thanks
Keith

Try a system restore, if that does not work, do a repair install of the operating system. Nice job backing up your files.
. Have you tried to run system restore, setting the drive back to a time before the computer became corrupted? Some of the new viruses prevent system restore from running, but it''s worth a try. Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calender, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calender and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else

Installing and running a whole bunch of system cleaners might just make the situation worse, try to avoid that.