G

Hello,
I cant log into my ibm thinkpad. when I type in my password it says the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted

Hello,
I cant log into my ibm thinkpad. when I type in my password it says the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted

you could try resetting the CMOS or removing the CMOS battery to clear the passwords, but you might want a technician to do that for you. Is there another person who has a password on the thinkpad?

Somehow your computer became a machine that is part of a domain.

If you can start Windows in safe mode, log in as Administrator and
go to control panel>system>Computer Name>Change
and there, click the bullet to make the computer be a workgroup machine instead of a member of a domain.
Name the workgroup you just switched to, usually the name Workgroup is Ok as long as it is
the same name as any other machines in the network are using as a workgroup name (if there is a network).
Click Ok and then Ok again to close system properties box.
Restart and things should be good now.

Hello,

When you see the login box, is it in the form of a drop-down and if it is, what alternatives are there on offer apart from your name?

A computer does not magically become part of a domain and if your's is in one and you change it to a Workgroup without properly demoting the control, you'll lose the Active Directory and everything in it.

You should refer this problem to the person who administers the network of which this machine is a part or try again to log in when the machine is connected to the network.
[/#000ff]