Sign in with
Your question

windows doesn't see my drives

Last response: in Storage
December 11, 2008 6:59:08 PM

this may not be the correct place to post this but here goes
I installed Vista on my second drive in the system but when I run it run it the drive with XP doesn't show up at all
How can that be resolved?

More about : windows drives

December 11, 2008 11:35:17 PM

Its probably comming up in disk management it just needs a drive letter or needs to be imported, both can be done through disk management.
December 12, 2008 12:00:06 AM

It does show in Disk Manadwment but the change drive letter command has been grayed out so I can't change that so it can be seen in Windows Explorer
Related resources
December 12, 2008 1:28:06 AM

It will need to be imported then... right click on the right hand side (parition side) and you should have the option there.
December 12, 2008 2:29:36 AM

couldn;t do anything everything but properties shows up in the rightclick menu on the partition side properties and convert to dynamic disk only are on the right vlick meny on the Disk # left side Hoe then iy can it be imported
tried chanfing it in Partition Magic but came up with a 302 error and had to reboot hit F8 and choose Last Known Configuration that worked bypassing PM"s continually attempting adter a restart
December 12, 2008 3:14:17 AM

There are 2 right click menus as pointed out here and here

December 12, 2008 9:11:51 AM

your trying to get into the partition with vista installed on it? is it possible (not being that knowledgeable about vista) that it has converted the disk in someway so its now reserved and cant be used in xp?

so unless you have got bored of vista and want to remove it theres not much more you can do..
December 12, 2008 10:42:56 AM

Chookman

i said I already tried both of them the partition and the box label Disk O in Disk Management
under Partitition Magic calls Disk 0 as hidden and gives you the option of unhiding it which I tried and had to reboor where PM sought to make the change in pre windows or DOS mode but errored out with a 302 cannot continue error
i'm using Osr 2000 as the boot loader doesn;r affect when using XP Disk 0 on;y when loading Vista Disk 1 Could the boot loader itself be the problem
December 12, 2008 11:05:51 AM

montyuj

i need to transfer seetings and files and uodates that were later than my last backup from the XP drive
and the antivirusand adware program on Vista need to a complete scan of that drive drive first as the antivirus on the Xp refuses to work anymore even called tech support and came to the conclusion the DNs seetings prevented it from working on that system
it's not a matter of swapping systems
I do not want to transfer any viruses that may have affected those settings and files and be allowed unto the new system
so its imperative that old drive can be read from and written to
a c 82 G Storage
December 12, 2008 11:13:30 AM

It looks like you have a single hard disk with 2 partitions. Therefore the system won't let you make changes to the boot drive. Are you saying that you have another physical hard disk that's never detected?
December 12, 2008 2:27:12 PM

Vista and and XP are not on 2 separate partitions but on 2 separate hard drives inside the same syatem Xps is on channel q and Vista is on Channel 2 of the systems built in sata controller Xp eP resides on Disk 9 and Vista residee on Disk 1 so only when Vista (Disk 1)is is Running then XP Disk 2) can't be accessed
does that still sound like 2 partitions to you
a c 82 G Storage
December 12, 2008 4:03:50 PM

No, but the screens that you linked show 2 partitions on a single physical disk.

You wrote "Xps is on channel q and Vista is on Channel 2" as well as "Xp eP resides on Disk 9 and Vista residee on Disk 1". Unfortunately that info was left out of your previous posts.

To me it sounds like you are using a motherboard that has 2 onboard SATA controllers, but drivers are missing for the second controller when running Vista. What motherboard do you have?
December 12, 2008 4:11:09 PM

that screenshot was posted by chookmanuk and not by me and was in response to my previous reply
think you should review all post again and just who sent what up As I see it you are in more confused than I am
December 12, 2008 4:27:20 PM

ghislaing
In a nutshell
I inquired why I can't see my Xp drive when I boot from Vista
Chootman asked whether it it showed up in disk management
I responded it did but couldn't chang the drive letter as it was unassigned
Chot man the replied with the screenshots and there were two right click menus
I explained that neither one would allow me to change the drive letter
Also noted in Partiotion Magic would allow me to both unhide and
and asign it a drive letter but errored out when attempting to make the changes
At which point you started your response having no clue what transpired already in this topic
December 12, 2008 5:57:07 PM

What options come up (thats not greyed out) on both menus?
December 12, 2008 6:26:40 PM

Hey Chookman, Chelli doesn't know what he's doing, doesn't know what he wants to do, and doesn't understand clear language, give it up!
December 12, 2008 6:48:46 PM

the otion available on the right vlick menu is only convert to dynamic and on the right click menu in the partiition window is properties that is greted out
followed every suggestion you gave me me and mothing worked as you suggested

AND fyi marcelli I do know what I.m doing and have heeded the advbise Chookman
As for the other guy he thought I podted that screnshot and hadn't even read much of what was going on in this thread already
and gave it to him in a summary reply
If you have any sufggestions posdt them and don't critize
a c 82 G Storage
December 12, 2008 7:23:34 PM

chelli, I realize that I read the thread too quickly. Sorry about it. On the other hand, while not always accurate, help here is free.
December 12, 2008 9:41:21 PM

Apparently the problem seemed to have been resolved by changing the boot sequencein the Bios making the second drive with Vista being sought first then the bootloader so now I have complete access to the first drive with XP on it
Don;t understand how changing the boot up priority could make the visible to Vista but obviously did
thanks for all your suggestions and help though
December 13, 2008 12:35:23 AM

Hey Chelli, I'll post them and actually USE a keyboard. Quit finger FARTING... What, criticize something I can hardly read or understand...Maybe your seeing eye dog can type up the next problem you have...I'm sure HE can explain it to you better than all of us can.
December 13, 2008 6:27:29 AM

marcellis22 no need for it man...

chelli: If you were booting XP and couldnt see the drive with Vista... And now that its working you are using Vista , i would assume maybe vista had some find of lockout on the drive to prevent access from other OS's. I havent seen this before and cant varify if its true however, i believe ive heard something like that happening before. Hope that makes sense. In any case glad you got it working.
December 13, 2008 6:59:07 AM

the vidta drive could mot access the XP dribe and now it can see it is what I mean
using the Xp drive always could access the Vista drive
Regardless just have to keep the current boot sequence set in the Bios because thats not the default voot order
if the Bios gets reset always will have to manually set the boot sequence again
well it works now anyway
March 3, 2009 10:23:54 AM

thanks to all of you for assisting but resolved the problem a coup;e months back so guess this this topic is now closed
!