dual harddrive help

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Just bought the 300 GB WD velociraptor and I already bought a WD 640gb, How would i make it so the veloci is the primary and the OS boots from it and have the 640 as just storage? is it just like i go into bios and switch it? also is it diff to do if i am installing a fresh copy of vista 64 bit?

daskrabbe

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
Well, you might want to make sure it is the 300 gig that is chosen as the boot device(should be fairly easy in the bios).

The other drive should be accessible directly from Windows.

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
I am having some problems, i first tried but hooking up the veloci and unplugging my other harddrive to install me new 64 bit vista on the veloci but when it was done loading the windows files it goes to the blue vista screen like before it starts installing it but nothing comes up just stay blue and i can move the mouse around. Then I tried hooking both up and booting up from my old HD to vista 32bit and then on desktop trying to boot from the 64bit but says "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running. Check your computers system info and see whether you need an x86(32bit) or x64(64bit) version.

On my old comp when i used to put the windows disc in and restart would say press enter to boot from disc, it isnt happening on this new one?? Help please.

It can't boot from the DVD because your boot order is incorrect. Change it to DVD (or whatever device you have) as the first device and the HD that should be the boot disk as the second or third device (if you have a floppy and it's the second device).

What motherboard do you have? Some motherboards can display a complete list of bootable devices at POST and allow the user to select which one to use.

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
I got it to work. Dumb computer faked me out and stayed at the blue screen for like 2 mins and i always thought it froze but i let it sit and it finally popped up. Got everything install on my velociraptor. Now in disk management i see my 640GB HD and it says unallocated. Do i right click it and chose New Simple Volume to get it up and running?

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Got it to work but know I am thinking about reinstalling vista and setting up a RAID 0 with my veloci and other HD for better performance. Just gotta learn more about how to do it.

serpent1202

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
You can't setup Raid 0 on a 300 gig drive and a 640 gig drive. You have to have 2 identical volumes. If you can afford it, buy another 300 gig raptor and raid 0 for extreme performance.