Core 2 Quad Q6600 too hot!!!

imtomtoo0825

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Hello everyone...I'm in IT by profession but am horrible at cooling techniques, so I'm hoping a lot of people know more than me. I'll get right to it.....I recently built a new computer from scratch which I put a core 2 quad Q6600 2.4Ghz in. I got everything built up nice and did my first power on....after about 20 sec.s it would die!! one of the times it gave me enough time to get into BIOS and it reported the cpu climbing up over 200 F (I did not see c then). I then realized that the stock heat sink/fan was not tight down, I went to tighten it but one pin just would not stay down, I got it tight enough for the computer to stay on but knew this would not be good enough. I went to a Tiger Direct outlet store and bought a HUGE fan called Thermaltake Max Orb. This was a breeze to install and is as tight down on the cpu as can be (and no I did not forget to apply the thermal paste). It runs constant at around 2200 rpm's and has 6 heat pipes coming out. Now my cpu runs idle in the 50's and 60's (usually lower to mid 50's) and at load is in the 70's!!! After it's been at load it hovers around the high 50's or exactly 60c. I'm at a complete loss, I have a pefect installation of a very good fan and run no where near comfortable temps. People have looked at me crooked because they are running way cooler even with the stock fan!!! The only thing I can think of next to do is splurge on a liquid cooling system. If anyone has any ideas for me I'd greatly appreciate it.

mechstan

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
Either you installed the Heatsink improperly, your CPU is faulty, or your motherboard is faulty.

I recommend that you get a different CPU and try it with same motherboard and heatsink. If your CPU temp hovers around 30s, then obviously the old CPU is faulty. If it still hovers around 50 or 60s while idling, then get a new motherboard and try it with the old CPU and heatsink.

If after you try all this and the CPU's temp shows 50 or 60 while idling, then reinstall heatsink.

If none of the above works, go to a professional.

pchoi04

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Hows the air flow in your case? I have a Q6700 and with my Zalman I get 20c idle.

Also how much thermal paste did you use? Make sure to put just a thin layer on.

Also it looks like this is also the push pin type, I guess it doesnt hurt to try and reset the HSF again.

PhantomBlot

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
It might be a airflow problem with your case. Try running your computer with case open and monitor the temperatures. The point of doing this is to try to improve the airflow temporarily

If the monitored temperatures are significantly lower than before, then you need to improve your case cooling.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I don't think it's AirFlow.
Case Airflow will not cause a CPU to shutdown in a matter of seconds.

As others have stated, the Heat Sink is likely not mounte properly.
Or it Could be a CPU/Mobo problem, but less likely.

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

Try this. Don't attach the heatsink with the locking pins/screws. Just set the heatsink loose on the cpu. Make sure it is sitting flat on the IHS. If you have it flat on the processor you will be able to make it into Bios and get a real look at temperatures.

Everything you have said indicates that you have the heatsink cocked ie(not flat). This will be a quick test you can perform to verify if you have the heatsink cocked when you attempted to tighten it down or if something else is causing your inadvertent shutdown.