Sign in with
Your question

Advice on building a super QUIET rig?

Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2007 1:27:27 PM

Hey all, I'm building a new gaming rig on a budget - this is what I have selected so far:

Processor: E2160 1.8ghz - overclocking to 3.0
MB: Gigabyte P35-DS3L
GPU: Galaxy 8800 GT (hoping to OC)
RAM: generic 2GB DDR2 800mhz

HD's, drives and case are from my old system.

I'm determined to make this system super quiet since it sits in our living room where we watch TV and make out and stuff. :whistle: 

I have a copper heatsink Zalman cooler for my P4 3.06ghz (socket 478) - will that fit on my new E2160? If so, that's taken care of.

I need a 500w + PSU that's super quiet, but most PSU's say they're "quiet". That depends on their RPM's which depends on the case temp, right? Some PSU's are super quiet at 1200 rpm but like a helicopter at 4500 rpm. Can you suggest any PSU's that are ALWAYS under 20db even at max rpm, or is that unreasonable? My budget is $100 for a PSU.

I realize I'll probably need to get after market cooling for the GPU to keep that quiet too. My main concern is the PSU because noise ratings vary so widely on how fast the fan is running. I don't want to get stuck with a PSU that makes lots of noise at high temps.
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2007 1:45:33 PM

blue_wister said:
Processor: E2160 1.8ghz - overclocking to 3.0
GPU: Galaxy 8800 GT (hoping to OC)

I need a 500w + PSU that's super quiet, but most PSU's say they're "quiet". That depends on their RPM's which depends on the case temp, right? Some PSU's are super quiet at 1200 rpm but like a helicopter at 4500 rpm. Can you suggest any PSU's that are ALWAYS under 20db even at max rpm, or is that unreasonable? My budget is $100 for a PSU.
If your PSU is under 30DB you probably won't hear it over the noise your OC'd GPU and CPU are making.
Most people building super quiet systems talk about UNDER clocking CPUs, using a Fanless PSU and using passive cooled GPUs.

What are your real objectives and what's your total budget? Super Quiet can be expensive.

December 31, 2007 1:53:31 PM

My objectives are, in order of priority:

1. a gaming rig (Bioshock, Oblivion, NWN2, COD4, etc)
2. that is as quiet as possible
3. on a budget of $200 for the PSU/cooling components (PSU, GPU fan, CPU fan)

If I'm using super quiet (i.e. Zalman) fans for the OC'd GPU and CPU are they still going to be noisy? I can't even hear the Zalman fan on my current CPU unless I stick my ear next to it.
Related resources
December 31, 2007 5:00:51 PM

I have the Zalman 900 on the 8800GT and its quiter than my HD's so... your good there :)  I have the Artic Cooling pro or whatever it is for my CPU heatsink.. its huge.... but the fan is relativly quite.. the 2 90's and 2 120's I have are the loudest things in my system..

Ill tell you right now.. the stock 8800GT cooling needs to go.. its REALLY loud .. :) 
December 31, 2007 11:50:37 PM

Thanks k2, that's the kind of input I'm looking for. Yeah, stock cooling generally "blows"...=0. Can you hear your machine running from 10 feet away?
January 1, 2008 1:48:22 AM

i recon get a gts instead of a gt faster than a gt and when idle i cant hear it when its 2 feet away from my head
January 1, 2008 4:32:11 AM

heres the thing get fans with fluid bearing they are whisper quiet
!