Cant seem to get a stable overclock on my 9450

AAArDvArK

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Hey guys,

My new build keeps crashing under Prime95 clocked at 3.1GHZ, I suspect the culprit is either my RAM settings or my PSU. I ran memtest and it came out fine, so the PSU might be it? In any case here are my system specs:

Intel C2Q 9450

Asus Rampage MB

2X2GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 1066 Reaper HPC 4GB Edition EPP 5-5-5-18
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_8500_reaper_hpc_4gb_edition

WD 7200RPM 500GB

This is my PSU:
http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?language=en&act=detail&tbcate=22&id=51

I do not mind buying a new PSU, as this one is a bit too loud and I am going to get crossfire so will need a better one. Any recomendations?

In the hopes of making this easier for everyone I photographed all the relative settings on my BIOS, is there something that jumps out at you?

Sorry about the quality, should be very readable though:

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Should be an easy OC. PS looks good for just the board, a card and ram and cd/disk, etc.

Disable transaction booster and static read control. They do things to the RAM.

Set the North bridge voltage to 1.40, Dram voltage to factory spec, manually enter it. Turn on Load Line Calibration.

Disable all the CPU options for now.

I'd try for at least 3.2, should be able to get 3.6ish... Its FSB reliant.. Hmm...

Do the ol' 400 FSB x 8 for 3.2 and see how it goes. With Load Line Calibration enabled, you should be able to pick a VCore and hit near it, I hope! It's fully enabled on my Maximus formula, and they are pretty close, right?

Do you know your processors VID? Run Core temp and find out!!

--Lupi

AAArDvArK

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Thanks Lupiron. Apreciate the reply.

What is a processors VID? When I find it in Core Temp is it supposed to tell me something or am I supposed to enter it somewhere.

A stable 3.2 would be GREAT. I am thinking my PSU is the problem, and since I am running crossfire soon I might as well get the Corsair 620 I have been thinking about.

halcyon

Splendid
I have the same CPU, motherboard, and RAM. Try manually setting the RAM's voltage to 2.04v (the mobo overvolts, so there should end up @ 2.10-2.11v. I might want to also set your NV to 1.45v.

I'm currently 3.2Ghz with 8GB of the Reapers, but I've had it up to 3.5 reliably.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Did you test your drop and droop?

Next time you get the chance, look to see what your CPU voltage is set to in the Bios. if you are at stock, you can manually select that 1.1500, then boot into windows and look with CPUz and see what it's been reduced to.

Then run Prime 95 small ffts torture test on all cores and list it's reduced value.

(If it has it, LLC may correct for vdroop totally, and limit your VDrop to like .0250. You'll have to test to find out.)

--Lupi

AAArDvArK

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Ah I see. I will do that today, thanks Lupiron.

Halcon, good to know someone with my setup has had better luck.

That only furthers my suspesion that I am having a PSU issue. I reset my bios yesterday and torture tested my machine, it rebooted after 5 hours at STOCK. As I feared this Cooler Master PSU is not very reliable. Going to order a Corsair 750W that should rule that out as the cause of the failure. Will also get a water cooling solution from Thermaltake, I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Watch out for the all in one water kits!!

Lemme know what you end up with as far as drop and droop go!

Remember to remember your Bios VCore!

--Lupi

Emotep

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I have an identical system as yours. I was able to get 3.2 stable using these settings.

CPU Voltage = 1.2006
NB Voltage = 1.33
SB Voltage = 1.05
DRam Voltage = 1.8
FSB Termination = 1.20

Loadline calibration is OFF, didn't want the voltage spikes since andantech.com wrote some article about how bad that is...

shadowthor

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2008

To be honest, you listed ram that is not even compatible with the Op's mobo and this was completely not necessary.

AAArDvArK

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Thanks guys, I aplied Emotep's setting and have a perfectely stable system as in nning prime 95 small ffts for 6 hours yields no errors crashes or other nasties :) very happy in that regard. However my system seems less responsive at 3.2 for some reason? is that RAM related? I am thinking of going back to stock....

My temps at 3.2 running for 6+ hours is CPU 50ish and the hottest core at 66 max the rest under 60......for what its worth.