Sign in with
Your question

Bluescreen on boot after installation of new Motherboard

Last response: in Components
January 12, 2008 9:53:55 AM

Hello there, again.

Well my new 8800GT graphics card finally arrived today, meaning i can finally put together my new system. I was very excited as i assembled and booted it up, right until my system hit a blue screen and restarted. I tried various reconfigurations of the BIOS and tried booting in safe mode, to no avail.

So this is the background situation: I have been using Windows XP 32-Bit for years now, i have a 250GB Primary disk with the windows installation on it (this is the master disk i'm trying to boot from.) I then have a rather new secondary drive as the slave. My old motherboard is a K7VTA3/KT333 V5.0, with an old single core processor and a 6800GT graphics card.

Now, what i've done so far is take those out and proceed to fit the new GA-P35-DS3L mobo with the new Intel Q6600 Quad and new 4GB quad-channel black dragon RAM. I've hooked up the master drive and the slave. (Alas this mobo only supports two IDE drives so my tertiary drive and my burner and my DVD drive have been left sitting useless at the moment).

That's all i've done. I'm unsure why it's not booting.. i was under the impression that all these things were simply plug and play, with the drivers being installed in the windows environment. Why do i get a blue screen?

Also, I don't have a windows XP CD handy, we've recently moved and i have absolutely no idea where it is.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated at this point.

Thanks guys
January 12, 2008 10:05:13 AM

By the way, i'm afraid reformatting any of my drives is out of the question really, I'm a digital artist and have a lot of work spread out over them.
January 12, 2008 10:07:41 AM

Have you reinstalled windows, I think that you will need to do at least a repair install if not a full install. The bluescreens are caused by drivers for your old hardware.

If you'd had just installed for example a video card you would have been OK, now you have a quad core CPU and new motherboard this is going to cause your old installation errors as it's looking for a single core CPU and a diferent motherboard.

A repair install will save you some effort as it keeps some of your programs but I would recomend a full install which will cause you less problems in the long run, check this link for repair install instructions :- http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport...

Hope this helps

Tony

Related resources
January 12, 2008 10:15:46 AM

Hmm yeah that's the vibe i've been getting from googling the problem, unfortunately the repair will require the XP CD right? and i have no idea where it is. Bugger.

Thanks very much for the reply
January 12, 2008 12:44:32 PM

Yes you will have to at least try repair your install by using a original XP disc. Otherwise there's not much else you can do.
January 12, 2008 1:01:32 PM

Ok there is no way that any Via, SIS motherboard on your old system will boot with windows XP on a Intel Motherboard...

There is a chance if for example you went from Intel i845 to 965 etc but not another manufacturer.

These are due to HALS - Hardware Application Layers..

It would be much, much better if you went and got your self a new 500GB and installed a fresh os on it as even if it did work you wont get the perfomance you deserve on it....., plus the old drive will be old technology and not sata 2 - 300..

Get one with a 16mb cache then it will fly...

Secondy XP only recognises two processors so it will not take advantage of the quad core that you have......

You will need to boot the cd in the drive and do a repair if you have any chance of getting your old hard disk working...
This can be risky if even if you have done it before so do your self a favour and buy a new one, and plug your old hard disk as slave and copy accross the data...

Best of luck

HB
January 12, 2008 10:09:46 PM

I've actually done some research into XP and quad cores, and what i learnt was that XP easily supports a quad core processor such as mine. Where'd you get your info?

As for the HDDs, i'm unfortunately out of money for the time being, i spent quite a bit on all this new hardware. So buying anything more is really out of the question.

Thanks for your advice though dude, much appreciated.
January 12, 2008 10:19:49 PM

I wonder why i can't edit my messages
January 12, 2008 11:25:19 PM

You might be able to buy a Win XP disk from microsoft if you still have the serial number which should be stuck to your case. I would borrow or download one using bit torrent, if you have a valid serial number then this should be OK, other wise you gonna have to buy a new disk.

Why not but an OEM copy of Win Vista home Premium, I paid about £70 in march.
January 12, 2008 11:32:36 PM

That wouldn't be a bad idea but alas it's still money needing to be spent, money which i don't have and can't bring myself to pay for something i already own. Surely you can just use any old windows XP disk to repair windows, as long as it's the same version as yours of course, right?
January 13, 2008 7:39:22 AM

purplefire said:
I've actually done some research into XP and quad cores, and what i learnt was that XP easily supports a quad core processor such as mine. Where'd you get your info?

As for the HDDs, i'm unfortunately out of money for the time being, i spent quite a bit on all this new hardware. So buying anything more is really out of the question.

Thanks for your advice though dude, much appreciated.

Thats weird due to the fact that the cd says on the case 1-2 cpu - maybe Microsoft later on had a change of heart, but origionally XP was a 1-2 processor OS
January 13, 2008 7:57:17 AM

1-2 processor = 1-2 Sockets not cores. =) XP does support dual socket motherboards but not quad socket platforms. Also I have found that you cannot always repair a installation. For example if your XP cd is SP1 and you have sp3 installed it wont always pick up to allow a repair. Are you running your sata in IDE mode? (aka not raid or AHCI?)
January 13, 2008 9:12:30 AM

What you are dealing with sounds like a incompatability issue.When you change your MB,you usually need to re-install windows as you will have a new bios and different drivers for each board.Re-install windows and you should be good to go.Don't forget the MB drivers as well.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 8800GT SUPERCLOCKED
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
3DMARK05 15,686
3DMARK06 10,588
January 13, 2008 9:13:15 AM

What you are dealing with sounds like a incompatability issue.When you change your MB,you usually need to re-install windows as you will have a new bios and different drivers for each board.Re-install windows and you should be good to go.Don't forget the MB drivers as well.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 8800GT SUPERCLOCKED
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
3DMARK05 15,686
3DMARK06 10,588
January 13, 2008 12:03:46 PM

To Sarcastic - I don't have a SATA drive. Just three IDE drives. One of the drives is a 20GB which i could probably sacrifice in order to format and load up the windows XP Pro 64 bit OS, but my new mobo only supports two IDE devices, and i'll need one of them for the CD reader in order to install the OS in the first place. And the two other drives are quite large in capacity and have a lot of data on that i need, so i can't sacrifice one of those to be left out of the system, unless i get an external chassis, but then again - Lack of funds. It's a real awkward position.
January 13, 2008 7:00:39 PM

purplefire said:
To Sarcastic - I don't have a SATA drive. Just three IDE drives. One of the drives is a 20GB which i could probably sacrifice in order to format and load up the windows XP Pro 64 bit OS, but my new mobo only supports two IDE devices, and i'll need one of them for the CD reader in order to install the OS in the first place. And the two other drives are quite large in capacity and have a lot of data on that i need, so i can't sacrifice one of those to be left out of the system, unless i get an external chassis, but then again - Lack of funds. It's a real awkward position.

Cant you beg, borrow or steal a copy from somewhere...

You must have a mate whos got a xp disk
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2008 7:59:51 PM

Purple - What I would do at this point is take one of the small drive to a friend's house, and hook it up to his system. Backup everything on that drive. Once you're sure you have it all, format that sucker.

Now you are free to go home and do a clean install of XP on your newly cleaned hard drive.

Once that's done, hook the other hard drives up, retrieve the data. Back in business.
November 4, 2009 4:06:17 AM

could be your ram could have 1 bad piece try pulling them out and try one at a time
!