What should I upgrade? Monitor, GPU, or Other? Help me Decide!!

kyosuke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
OK, so I can't afford to upgrade everything.

I am going to either upgrade my monitor to a 22" LCD, because I've used a 17" CRT for years now and it's time to move on.

OR

to a new GPU. I have a 790GS, which works great, but I know for some of the newer games coming out, I need a 8800 GT or GTS (G92)

OR

I can Upgrade from 2GB to 4GB of Ram, add a Scythe Ninja CPU cooler to finally OC my E6400 to 3.2ghz!

Thoughts? I am torn on my options here! None really feels all that much more important than the other.

G

The 2GB to 4GB upgrade will probably do the least good. The cpu oc can be done for cheaper, with something like the artic cooler freezer 7 pro for $20. I dont think i would upgrade the monitor unless you could upgrade the video card as well because your 7900gs will start to struggle more at the higher resolustion(if you are playing the newer titles). So kinda depends what games you are playing and how much you hate your crt.

kyosuke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Freezer Pro is not an option b/c of its size. It doesn't fit the P5N-E well without modifying it. Which I don't want to do.

JuiceJones

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
Is your E6400 overclocked at all? Even on the stock cooler, 2.66Ghz or so should be no problem and provide a decent boost for free.

Going to 4Gb of Ram at this point is mostly waste and only is useful in Ram heavy specific tasks, gaming is still fine on 2Gb.

This holiday season I recently upgraded to a 22" LCD after years of 19" CRT use. I love the extra space and clarity, only thing is, you're basically restricted to 1680x1050 at all times, and unlike the CRT where switching to a lower resolution in a more demanding game is no problem, the LCD will look ugly and distorted. So, for gaming, the monitor upgrade warrants the GPU upgrade as well.

I'd say base this decision on how often you game vs. general computer usage. The LCD will provide the most instant and tangible visual improvement, but will strain your gaming. The 8800GT will allow you to play your games at max settings, and with 512Mb will easily handle the 16x10 resolution when you upgrade the monitor.

I'd say since you seem happy with your card now, and unless you're just dying to play newer games, go with the LCD.

kyosuke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

My E6400is @ 2.4ghz right now. I thought about doing the 2.66 on stock, but I'm just worried about the NB since it's nororious for running warm.I thnk it might be fine, just like to be sure. I have a small fan I could put on the NB, but not sure hwo to stick it on there lol. Glue it to the HS? o_O

As far as games go, I play BF2, CS:S, Guild Wars, and the newest one is Hellgate:London. I'm proabbly going ot get Quake Wars and UT3 here soon, but probably not Crysis or anything of that nature.