Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrade Dilema

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 8, 2008 6:27:25 PM

OK currently got two identical gaming rigs with the specs as per sig, (mine and my wifes) Ive got a sum of money (around £1400) available in the next couple of weeks which could be spent upgrading these rigs. Unfortunately I cant wait for the new nvidia cards in february the money wont be available then :( .

Trying to decide whether or not to combine the 2 existing GTX's in one system and put 2x8800GTS 512's in the other along with a new mother board PSU, E6850 Processor and extra 2gb of ram in both.

Im considering moving up to windows vista 64 as well

Any existing parts that are left over from the build would be put towards upgrading my kids pcs, so wont be making any money back on those parts.

This money is totally disposeable, but im not sure how far this would go towards allowing me to jack up the resolution in the likes of crysis and to cure some FPS issues I have at high resolutions in other games (lotro, x3, modded oblivion etc etc) I like to run games at 2048x1536, Current monitors are old high end 19" CRT's (one of which I fear may be on its way out :cry:  )

My current rigs allows me respectable playability in crysis at 1280x1024 with all settings high and 4xaa under windows xp. The retail version of crysis seems to perform substantially better than the demo did on my systems.

My biggest issue is that I really dont like the fact that Id be spending a lot of money and using a year old GPU design... It really feels as if spending that much money I should be getting something "new" in the way of graphics cards to boost performance in new games. Two of the graphics cards are ones Ive owned for a year and the two new ones are die shrinks of the same card, and a lot of the money is being blown on power supplies and mother boards to allow two cards in one system... Id rather be spending the money on a single card solution allowing me to use my current power supply and mother board :( 





More about : upgrade dilema

January 8, 2008 6:31:44 PM

Just realised I havent got my sig showing as I thought...

heres the specs at the moment of the gaming rigs :-

E6600, 8800 GTX, 2GB OCZ *SPECIAL OPS* EDITION 5-5-5-15, ABIT AB9 Pro iP965, 2xWD Caviar 160gb, Antec P180, Antec Neo HE500, CL gigaworks S750.
January 8, 2008 7:24:47 PM

As far as I know, the 9800 GX2 will be two GPU's, two PCB's, running in SLI. Similar to the 7950. So not really new, in my books, and it's not going to save much power, I wouldn't think. But king of the heap for now!

If you're going to upgrade to 4GB of RAM, you'll need to upgrade your OS to a 64 bit one, if you want to use it all. But you probably know that already.

And if you can wait for another couple of weeks (always dangerous, when dealing with technology), Intel's Wolfdale processors should be out. Faster than the E6850 and E6750's, about the same price, and cooler. http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/intel-wolf...

Clint
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 8, 2008 8:35:49 PM

Couple of weeks I should be able to manage to wait out for the processor's by time I get everything sorted to place the order etc anyway. Will have to look into those, check out motherboard support etc.

January 8, 2008 10:11:17 PM

you could get a 780i mobo for the 2 8800GTX. Why can't you save around 400 pounds and just put it aside? You have like $2800 dollars but right now, nothings going to get you good performance for the money. Getting 2 8800GTS will be like 2 GTX. I would get a X38 and two 3870X2 since I heard the driver will be good. And then you can get one of those new intel processors for the X38.
January 9, 2008 9:54:19 AM

aznstriker92 said:
you could get a 780i mobo for the 2 8800GTX. Why can't you save around 400 pounds and just put it aside? You have like $2800 dollars but right now, nothings going to get you good performance for the money. Getting 2 8800GTS will be like 2 GTX. I would get a X38 and two 3870X2 since I heard the driver will be good. And then you can get one of those new intel processors for the X38.


Well basically the deal is my home computer equipment technically belongs to the company Im the IT manager for, I spend 1 day a week working from home testing network stuff on the "remote network" I have at home. Its actually beneficial for the company as it allows me to dry run things on a non mission critical setup etc etc. I have a opportunity to extend this network and upgrade the existing computers but its done on a lease purchase so theres not a pot of cash in the bank waiting to be spent its all or nothing its now or never so to speak.

The two GTS's I was hoping would be very close to the 2x GTX's in performance hence keeping the two main rigs very very similiar in performance, not only giving myself and my wife equal gaming facilities but also allowing side by side comparisons of the effects on performance of different software on the same hardware EG XP vs Vista etc etc.

Basically the upgrade for the money would be using two graphics cards instead of one, doubling the ram, and the slightly faster processor. Not a lot of "new technology" tested. Although testing the wolfdale pricessor could be worthwhile and vista testing is definetely high on the companies list of priorities...still seems a lot of money for the smallish gain. Even if its not money I could be spending on bills etc, the company might be better of investing in a 1080p projector for presentations for example... Or else it might be better off not upgrading the remote network but sacrificing more of my time to be spent working on what they have there already taking me down to 3 days a week in the office and two at home instead of 4 at work and 1 at home.

I make space in my home for work equipment, and spend some of my free time using the works equipment for my own uses... Its not even close to the same thing as spending your own money, but its as much a perk of the job as free internet access at work...

I thought the 3870x2 was supposed to be later this year as well? Ive heard the 3870 scales better than the 8800's in multi GPU use. I can see that from my own point of view due to timing issues the upgrades and testing arent going to be covering as much newer technology as they could have done...

Id like to see exactly how things pan out with the 4 GPU solutions and also to see what benefit they could offer the company. But I think Im going to be a spectator for that show down :( , perhaps a true next generation technology will come out in time for the next upgrade cycle in December. (this one has already been delayed a fair bit...)

January 9, 2008 10:25:24 AM

"your" money, so its upto you, what you said at the start sounds the best you can do for now. Goodluck.
January 9, 2008 10:13:35 PM

Ok I understand. I would suggest getting the R700 or the GT200 later.
!