Deleted a partiton please help

R4lN

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Hi, I bought a msi GT627 about a year ago and when it got here, I noticed it had 3 partitions. 1 with windows vista on it. 1 with the OS (C:) and 1 was just a data drive (D:).

My C: drive only had 50 gb total on it. Yeah it finally filled up. My D: had 250 gb of space on it. I decided I just wanted 2 drives. One with the windows disk on it and the other with the OS which is (C:). I deleted the entire D: drive and then I extended my c drive to total around 295 gb.

I reinstalled windows Vista onto the new C: drive and now every time when windows boots up to the desktop. I get a small DOS window and then approximately 30 seconds later, windows shuts down. I cannot figure out what to do here. I thought maybe I shouldnt have deleted the D: drive but in my mind it was just a storage drive. I tried to make a new D: just smaller but it didnt fix the problem. If I go into safe mode, it runs fine but I obviously cannot update things because of safe mode limitations. Any help at all would be much appreciated..

You need to investigate partition recovery software. Here is one.
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/art-partition-recovery.htm
But since you extended partition size, and reinstalled, I think you are SOL.

R4lN

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
I figured it out thank you anyway. I got onto the desktop and then went into msconfig.sys. I then went into startup services which lists everything that comes on at startup. At the very bottom of the list was one that said RESTART by an "unknown" manufacturer. I have no idea where this comes from or even why it is there. It was a fresh format so I'm a little baffled as to why it installed as a start up program. Almost sounds like some kind of trick to get tech business. I dunno, anyway, I unchecked it as a startup program and all is well. Thanks

Glad you got it solved. I would do a restore point, then uninstall the "Mystery APP". Maybe it was bundled in something else you downloaded, but regardless, I would get rid of it.