Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Installing XP Professional OEM on a new assembled PC

Last response: in Windows XP
June 4, 2010 11:04:06 AM

Hello,

I searched the forum, did not get the answer :) . forgive me, if this is already answered.

Can I install(fresh install) XP Prof - OEM, on a freshly assembled pc? I.e. I buy local components and build my system, install XP OEM and paste the OEM sticker to the back of the pc.

Regards,
Bryan
June 4, 2010 11:44:24 AM

Quote:
Can I install(fresh install) XP Prof - OEM, on a freshly assembled pc?

Yep. That's what an OEM installation disk is for.
m
l
June 4, 2010 2:01:31 PM

thanks badge!! is there any link from MS, where they have mentioned that this is legal?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 4, 2010 2:22:14 PM

It is legal to install Win XP OEM on any PC as long as that particular Windows XP OEM is not currently installed in another PC.
June 4, 2010 2:54:52 PM

Best answer selected by bryanlikesyou.
m
l
June 4, 2010 2:55:12 PM

thanks Jaguar - I truly appreciate your feedback!
m
l
June 4, 2010 10:05:15 PM

Are we talking about a new or used copy of XP OEM? It gets more complicated if this license has already been used on another system, even if it is no longer installed on said system.
m
l
June 8, 2010 11:03:23 AM

can a MVP clarify on this one?

--Bryan
m
l
June 8, 2010 11:06:50 AM

FALC0N said:
Are we talking about a new or used copy of XP OEM? It gets more complicated if this license has already been used on another system, even if it is no longer installed on said system.

It's a brand new, box - packed XP OEM. Please share your views!

--Bryan
m
l
June 8, 2010 9:41:22 PM

bryanlikesyou said:
It's a brand new, box - packed XP OEM. Please share your views!

--Bryan

An OEM license is technically tied to the motherboard. So as long as its new, it should be no trouble. But it cannot be moved to a new motherboard according to MS OEM license.

As to whether you are "technically" allowed to use an OEM licence. Even MS doesn't give stright answers on this question. Here is a good article on that topic.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/is-it-ok-to-use-oem-wind...

And that doesn't even cover the potential right of first purchase issues.

Bottom line, it should be no problem using a new XP OEM.

m
l
June 10, 2010 6:17:50 AM

FALC0N said:
An OEM license is technically tied to the motherboard. So as long as its new, it should be no trouble. But it cannot be moved to a new motherboard according to MS OEM license.

As to whether you are "technically" allowed to use an OEM licence. Even MS doesn't give stright answers on this question. Here is a good article on that topic.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/is-it-ok-to-use-oem-wind...

And that doesn't even cover the potential right of first purchase issues.

Bottom line, it should be no problem using a new XP OEM.

thanks!!! this link is brilliant!!!

--Bryan
m
l
!