mrscopey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Need some help please.

When i switch on my PC. It powers on but thats it. Nothing will display on the monitor and it doesnt seem like tat its going through the post check.

I have tried a different graphics card but still nothing. Have checked out all of the cards and RAM sticks and they all seem fine. CPU looks fine as well, no connecters burnt out on anything. Power is fine as I have done a voltage test. I have just got a new Motherboard in and still the same problem.

Anyone got any suggestions. The only thing I can think it is, is the CPU.

righteous

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Got a speaker wired to the mobo in your case?
If not, do it. If there's one long and two short beeps it's because of the RAM most likely and it's not because it's bad. I have two nforce 590 boards that do this with higher performance ram. I believe it's because of the voltage, but I could be wrong.

What chipset, and what processor etc?

Let us know what you have and we'll see what we can do.

mrscopey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
Asus P5B Premium Vista Edition (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

thats what i use, my new mobo is
Asus P5N32-E SLi nForce 680 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

and it doesnt work with that.

whats even stranger, is that ive tried my old amd athlon with my older RAM and mobo and it still doesnt work, have tried it with 2 graphics cards as well.

mrscopey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
BFG 800W UK/PFC Approved PSU

sorry im just copy and pasting these straight from my order history, ill check out that link you posted, thanks

leo2kp

Distinguished
"whats even stranger, is that ive tried my old amd athlon with my older RAM and mobo and it still doesnt work, have tried it with 2 graphics cards as well."

You plugged in the Athlon and RAM in to what, and what still doesn't work?

mrscopey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ive got my old amd athlon cpu, the ram i used and the mobo before i upgraded to a dual core and its still the same problem. Ive tried using a different PSU now as well, it still wont start up.

mrscopey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
either im doing something wrong or im missing a little thing thats causing it, like a cable or something silly. i might just drop it in to a repair place and get them to diagnose it

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Make sure you have the 4-pin CPU power from the PSU hooked up. The whole "My system powers up but nothing displays" problem is often the cause of the aforementioned connector. While your at it, check all your other connections, even try disconnecting anything you don't absolutely need to start up. (optical drives, etc.)

Also, check your front panel connections (The power / reset switch) and make sure they are properly connected.

Did you use stand-offs? I assume you did, but I figure it's worth asking anyway. Now, if none of the above is the problem, then I'm inclined to agree that you may have a bad CPU... but this is very rare.

godless

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
i went through the same thing with my msi mobo, only to find out that the voltage of the mobo is 1.8v and my ram was 2.1v. as soon as i put it 1.8v, everything ran ok, then i adjusted the voltage for my 2.1v ram and everything has been running fine since then. ram was ocz platinum 2gb kit.

leo2kp

Distinguished

Good points! That's about all I can think of too. If even a completely different computer doesn't work with that PSU/Case, it must be something with that. Unplug the HDD too and see if that helps :-/

mrscopey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yea ill try out that 4 pin thing, thats in the top left of the mobo yea?

if it is the one up there, ive got 2 of them =/

also how do the i change the voltage on my ram, but i dont think the ram would be the problem since ive been using my ram, with current mobo, cpu and psu since june/july.

im at work atm(yay! 7am start! :( )so ill check it out later and see what happens.

also i have no idea what you mean by stand offs. do you mean the little screw things you put into the case? because if you do i have got them in the correct hole for where my mobo sits.

the funny thing is, im starting a pc maintenance course on the 17th =/