Looking at buying a UPS.

G

Ok, I've decided that I'm sick of worrying about all my expensive electronics so much that I shut everything off the moment I leave the room. I want a UPS to help me sleep better. Basically I'm going to want to put my Computer and Monitor on this. I also want to put my 42" LCD TV and my 780W 7.1 Surround System on it as well. Basically all of this has cost me almost $4,000 over the past year and I just want to protect my investment (if you can call consumer electronics investments...)

Here's the draw I calculated:

Computer In My Sig - 318W (From the PSU calculator)
Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p LCD TV - 215W (Manufacturer's specifications)
Samsun 220WB 22" Widescreen Monitor - 46W (Manufacturer's specifications)
Onkyo HT-S790 780W 7.1 Surround System - 130W (Found it on Google)

And if I can, my Xbox 360.

So for all of this I figure I should get a UPS rated at at least 800W. Upon browsing the Egg I found this UPS that appeared to be very well suited for my current situation, though it only has 4 battery backup power outputs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102048
CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series CP1500AVRLCD 1500VA 900W 4 x 5-15R Battery/Surge Protected 4 x 5-15R Surge Protected Outlets UPS

Basically its $180 shipped. I really wasn't looking to spend more than $100 on this, but I do realize that even at $180 its a great purchase to help me sleep better. I don't care about keeping my electronics on for long when I have no power. I just want to have a few minutes to power everything down safely. I like to think I'm creative enough to find something else to do when I'm out of power. Also I saw this only has 4 ports that for battery backup so I couldn't connect my 360.

What I'd like to know is if anyone knows of anywhere I can find a better deal on this. If there's something better for the same price. If this is overkill and I can find something cheaper to do the trick. Or just general comments/helpful information.

I checked BestBuy today and found a 740W UPS for like $180 but it didn't appear to be all that great. APC was the manufacturer and from what I can see they appear to be a good manufacturer.

I realize this may not be the best section to post this thread in but I could not determine which section would be better other than the Misc Electronics section which has absolutely no activity. I also assumed this may be fitting since others with homebuilts would also like to protect their projects as well since Surge Protectors do not protect against power losses and fluctuations which can be just as lethal to electronics as surges. I also do apologize if this has been posted before. I remember reading something on this here a few weeks ago about UPS's but I could not find that post and the search tool didn't find it either.

Thanks!

kyosuke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
A good surge protector would suffice for your TV/Surround sound, as a UPS is useless unless you are at home for those things.

For the UPS part of a UPS, you'd only want your tower/monitor plugged in there anyway. Even a UPS can be useless though if you're not planning on using the software that comes with it. Hopefully since you care, you are planning to :) as your system is a sitting duck without it. It would be no different than a stndard Surge Protector at that point that will run for a few mins after your power goes out.

As far as brands go, APC is by far the best one out there. They are a bit more expensive usually, but are geared toward keeping your system safe.

Personally, I've benn happy using Belkin PS' in the past. Easy to use software and a great UPS that does the job.

As far as the higher the rating goes on each one, it just depends mostly on how much battery life you are looking for. Your systems consumption plays a major role in this as well. With the shutdown software though, it really doesn't matter so long as it has a few minutes.

Kind of a vague answer I know, but here at work and typing fast. Hope it helped a little atleast.

APC is a solid brand. TrippLite is another. Since I can't cite sources, I won't bad-mouth some others, but I will say that Belkin is on my personal "do not buy" list for ANYTHING more complex than a LAN cable.
UPS units are heavy, so you may find a bigger one you can buy locally for the same price as a smaller one shipped. Staples carries APC units, and their prices aren't too bad.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
You need to know what your inrush current draw is. Run VA is good for battery time, but does no good if you can't start it up. I like the APC smart-ups over the backups units. Have both.

Home electronics require a different type of UPS than a PC. APC has a online database that has all of the numbers. I have used their products for years. I've had a few UPS's knocked out by lightning strikes, but never got to my equipment. Had to replace the ups after each one, the works were fried.

StevieD

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
The better APC units have both surge and battery backup outlets.

The purpose of a battery backup device is to allow smooth shut down of devices that may be harmed if power is suddenly removed and to allow critical data to be saved.

The purpose of the surge protection is simply to protect devices that are connected to the computer from allowing a surge to be passed through to the computer. Speakers, via the speaker output of the computer's motherboard or sound card, are connected to the computer.

Speakers don't meet the criteria for battery backup. Not by a long shot. The speakers should be plugged into the surge protection of the UPS, but the speakers do NOT need battery backup.

A TV should always be plugged into the surge protection, and if connected to the computer, the TV should run through the surge protection of the UPS. Some bigger badder Plasma's from the early years proportedly required a smooth shut down of power. But unless the TV manufacturer says it is a must, I personally would just use the surge protection.

The Xbox should be on surge protection. I suspect the DVD drive of the Xbox would be happier if the unit is on the battery backup, but other than a happy DVD drive, the Xbox is fine on surge protection only.

Looking at your system specs you only need two battery backup outputs on the UPS (always get more, but you only NEED two)

On my system:

Computer, Monitor, Router and telephone are battery backup.

Battery backup allows me to see what I am doing, complete uploading or downloading tasks, and save critical data. The telephone is just nice to have on battery backup because I don't loose the signal and I can yak while I wait for the power to be restored.

Speakers, Laser Printer-1, Laser Printer-2, and Powered TV Antenna are on surge protection without battery backup. There is nothing that requires battery backup, and each of these devices is connected to the computer via a wired connection. I would like to have a laser printer on the battery backup but most home and office UPS systems don't have sufficient current capabilities to handle laser printers.

APC has a great website to keep the average geek from overspending on an UPS.

PS: My external HD's, docking station for an old camera, etc etc are not plugged into either surge protection or battery backup. My APC unit is sitting on a desk next to the Computer Tower and I have easy access to the back of the unit to swap out the TV antenna when I need to hook up an external device. That is a hint. I have NO open surge protection slots.

TRENDING THREADS