Sign in with
Your question

Can anyone answer these questions about CPU cooling?

Last response: in CPUs
January 12, 2008 3:42:16 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm working on my second build. I'm putting in a Core 2 Quad Q6600. I understand the stock cooling unit is noisy and not that effective, so I also purchased a Rosewill aftermarket cooling device. Since I'm at the point of installing this now, I wonder whether you can help me to decide what to do. Thus, two questions:

1) Does installing an aftermarket cooling device on the CPU invalidate or void the warranty on the Intell Q6600?

2) Regardless of the answer, is it something I need to be concerned about?

Thanks for your input!
January 13, 2008 3:56:00 PM

1. NO if you need to REM Q6600, just send cpu and oem heatsink together
back to INTEL.
2,clean cpu and new heatsink, reapply compound, install and have fun.
January 13, 2008 4:17:33 PM

Thanks for the info.

What is the best way to clean the CPU? I set the stock fan onto the CPU and it left some compound remnants on the CPU. I suspect I should remove it before installing the aftermarket cooler. How do I do this?
Related resources
January 13, 2008 4:19:40 PM

1.) nope
2.) just install the HSF properly (make sure the pins are all down tightly)

About the stock cooler... it might be a little noisy, but its more than sufficient to cool a Q6600... even OCd to 3.0+ghz.
January 13, 2008 4:21:25 PM

gary101 said:
Thanks for the info.

What is the best way to clean the CPU? I set the stock fan onto the CPU and it left some compound remnants on the CPU. I suspect I should remove it before installing the aftermarket cooler. How do I do this?

I find that rubbing alcohol (get the highest concentrated alcohol you can get..atleast >90%), and a few Q-tips, work quite well. make sure you apply new TIM before installing the new HSF though!
!