Can anyone answer these questions about CPU cooling?

Hi everyone.

I'm working on my second build. I'm putting in a Core 2 Quad Q6600. I understand the stock cooling unit is noisy and not that effective, so I also purchased a Rosewill aftermarket cooling device. Since I'm at the point of installing this now, I wonder whether you can help me to decide what to do. Thus, two questions:

1) Does installing an aftermarket cooling device on the CPU invalidate or void the warranty on the Intell Q6600?

2) Regardless of the answer, is it something I need to be concerned about?

Thanks for your input!
4 answers Last reply
More about answer questions cooling
  1. 1. NO if you need to REM Q6600, just send cpu and oem heatsink together
    back to INTEL.
    2,clean cpu and new heatsink, reapply compound, install and have fun.
  2. Thanks for the info.

What is the best way to clean the CPU? I set the stock fan onto the CPU and it left some compound remnants on the CPU. I suspect I should remove it before installing the aftermarket cooler. How do I do this?
  3. 1.) nope
    2.) just install the HSF properly (make sure the pins are all down tightly)

About the stock cooler... it might be a little noisy, but its more than sufficient to cool a Q6600... even OCd to 3.0+ghz.
  4. gary101 said:
    Thanks for the info.

What is the best way to clean the CPU? I set the stock fan onto the CPU and it left some compound remnants on the CPU. I suspect I should remove it before installing the aftermarket cooler. How do I do this?

I find that rubbing alcohol (get the highest concentrated alcohol you can get..atleast >90%), and a few Q-tips, work quite well. make sure you apply new TIM before installing the new HSF though!
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Cooling Devices