Tranfer data from desktop PATA HD to desktop SATA HD

stevefeiner

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
I'm trying to transfer data from the PATA HD (Maxtor DiamondMax 21, 340 GB) on my Dell Dimesion 4300 to the SATA HD on my Dell Inspiron 530. I'd think there would be an external HD enclosure that would fit the PATA HD, but I can't find one (the enclosures I find all seem to be for laptop-sized HDs). Is there an enclosure that will fit my (desktop) PATA HD? Is there some other option for transferring the data?

4745454b

Titan
If they are different computers, the easiest thing to do is network them together and swap the data that way. Either use a crossover cable, or plug them into the same switch/hub. My next thought would be to simply unplug the IDE hdd, plug it into the SATA computer, make sure the bios is set to boot from the SATA drive, and it should be seen. Then its simply copy and paste.

Why are we making this harder then it needs to be?

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
newegg.com

They have plenty of adapters that will work for you. Some are just Ide/usb cables and they don't even have enclosures - oh my.

I'd have to agree with the above poster, take the HD out and put it into the PC you want, transfer the data.

stevefeiner

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008
OK, I just figured out that the Maxtor DiamondMax 21 is a 3.5" HD. So I *do* see that inexpensive ($19.99) enclosures are available. Kinda kills me to buy something to use it exactly once... but oh well.

As for putting the Maxtor in the the new Inspiron 530: that was my original thought. But the 530 only has connection points for SATA drives, not for the PATA. Is there something I'm missing here?

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002

New dells use sata for the optical drive and may not have IDE connectors.

I would do the network tranfer if possible but if it's not possible then multi format USB adapters for hard drives are available for 20$-30$ in most computershops or online. They connect SATA, PATA and 2.5' PATA...

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
probably no port at all, I'm not sur of every detail on every model.
OEMs are well known for removing all expansion ports as soon as the original config does not use them, Dell is the most zealous of them I would say.
I'v seen disabled (when not missing) AGP ports, No current Dell PC has PS2 ports, Parallel or Serial ports... I don't work much on HP, Lenovo, gateway or Acer machines but I'm pretty sure they do it too. they did it a few years back when I repaired more of them.