If you own ASUS P5N32-E SLI dont buy e8400!!

iancarnage

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
I want to let everyone know who plans on buying a Core 2 Duo 45nm. The Asus P5N32-E SLI will never ever support 45nm Core 2 Duo. I have talked to ASUS tech support, and they are never going to release a BIOS that will run the e8400 and e8500 at full power(it underclocks it stock). As far as the 45nm quad core, I know it will run a Core 2 Extreme, but I am not sure about q9450 or q9550. So now I am stuck using my old Evga 680i LT, which runs it perfect with no Bios flash.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
i heard that the entire 680i line won't run the wolfdale/yorksfield 45nm line due to a change in the micro code. one of the reasons for the release of the 780i series, hence it being a refresh of the 680i w/ pci-e 2.0. did nvidia find a work around i am unaware of?

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
you have a source/link for that info? i would like to read more. everything i have read on tom's, anadtech, oc, etc said there were issuses with the 45nm retail chips on 680i's though the engineering samples did work. its nice to hear asus found fix. i thought it was lame that intel stiffed nforce owners over 45nm.

iancarnage

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
my 45nm Wolfdale works fine on ANY 680i LT or 680i board except brands like Asus, Gigabyte ETC. Every company like EVGA, XFX, BFG etc there 680i's and LT's will run 45nm Dual Core. I did flash the BIOS on my Asus, but even that didnt work. I AM RUNNING A 45NM WOLFDALE ON EVGA 680I LT! PERFECTLY!

iancarnage

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
you guys need to read what I said. ASUS 680i BOARDS DONT SUPPORT 45NM DUAL CORE. THEY NEVER WILL. On the box it says SUPPORTS 45nm. Well what I was told by Asus tech support was that it supports 45nm quad core, but not DUAL CORE.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
i read what u posted...u need to read what i posted closer...i wrote that NO 45NM cpu will run on 680i board, dual or quad. i was stating that i was surprised u said u could run a quad 45nm on a 680i. i also stated that was why anyone wanting to run a 45nm cpu needed to get a 780i board. i was trying to be polite and ask your source about the quads 45nm on a 680i, cause franky i thought you were full of it. no offense just a lot of peeps spread rumors, someone reads about it...then they think a set up will work and they are surprised when it doesn't. thats why i asked for a link to your source. so as i was saying wheres your proof to a asus board being able to run a retail quad 45nm....you say u have a wolfdale running on a 680i? care to share a screen shot of your system info cause i think a lot of people be interested in it as every tech site i have been to says it won't work.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2007/11/28/nvidia_680i_boards_dont_support_penryn/1

mcpdon

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
turns out you were wrong. Asus has released the 1403 BIOS for the P5N32-E SLI that supports the E8400 (latest BIOS is 1404)

Not an Asus board but a 680i chipset nonetheless.

And the link to the BIOS download page http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk/down..._SCREEN=IN9+32X-MAX+Wi-Fi&pSOCKET_TYPE=LGA775
anything else? :whistle:

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
yeah i see they patched some for dual cores but they can't do it with quads. had forgotten about this post but i read an articile in anandtech where they were suprised it wored...and well considering. anyways...45nm quds still mean a 700 series chipset from nvidia.