Ndvia wants us to spend 1200 Euro to play a DX10 game in a normal way?

SyPheR

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Just wondering what kind of future we are heading too. While DX10 makes the entrance into the gaming industry, Crysis allready shows that Nvidia (the leader in the moment) can't make a good DX10 card yet that is able to let people play the game with a normal FPS rate. Even the most expensive cards that cost you unbelievable much money can't do the job. Screw that money making machine. They let you pay 600 euro for a card that can't even do the job right. In the meanwhile they are trying to make SLI look attractive instead. Like are they really on the limits of their graphics performance? Do we realy need SLI? Spending like 2 times 600 euro to play crysis a little better is totally crazy. It's insane. 1200 euro? The new 9800 GX2 Nvidia card needs 2 gpu's to gain only 30 procent performance increase upon a single 8800 ultra level. WOW >NOT<. There goes 2008 ladies and gentlemen. Have patience....yeah right. Guess we need to wait a long time before dx10 is finally on track. The history showed something different....it has never been so worse as it is now. Anyways, By the time things get better and payable people who keep on hating Vista can allready get the new OS by Microsoft called Vienna that will be way better (I really hope so). So would it not be wise to wait two more years instead of spending like an insanely high 1200 Euro's or more for a graphics solution atm and just wait? My Sapphire X1950XT is still able to run all DX9 games at full settings. :) Let's get real....Spending like 1200 Euro's for a >>>little bit<<< more beautifull smoke and fire and water.....hehe what if the graphics were nice and the at the end the game would suck.....you might as well have trown your money into the sea. So, what is nvidia doing atm? The 9800 gx2 doesn't look promising to me. It will cost us way too much money for that only a little bit more performance.

4745454b

Titan
And the point to this is? How is this Nvidia's/AMD's fault? First, if you don't have the hardware to play Crysis, then turn down the settings. If you want to play it at LCD resolutions with settings maxed, you are going to need some serious hardware. This isn't Nvidia's or AMD's fault however. The high end cards are more then enough to play most games. We are simply at the point now where the software has caught up with the hardware, and its the hardware thats now behind.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
that bs! this thread is bs!

i am playing crysis for $200 EU for the video card - it plays fine! its a little slow but no major lag or slowness

i bought a $382 msi 8800GTS 512mb 730mhz factory oc in e6750, 2 gb 4-4-3-10 (running 4-4-3-9) running 400fsb 3.4ghz. 2 rapators in raid0 in a micro atx box!

the whole computer was less then $1200EU

settings are all high and 2aa with no issues - maybe 5 or so the entire game!!!!

its not the video card its your system! and nvidia did not make the game crytek did thats an EU company!

cryteck wants you spend $1200 EU

this thread is P U (that means it stinks)

makotech222

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
i agree witrh topic starter. nvidia and ati should be getting their hardware better instead of just adding on more cards, costing the customer more, rather than bringing innovations to the cards and staying in the sub-$400 range.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
This is the kind of stupid threads that drive people away from PC gaming... Seriously could you just put lid on that manhole that you call your mouth and stop talking nonsense? I played crysis maxed out on my GTS 320 OC'ed at 1440x900 JUST fine! If you're stupid enough to waste over $2000 on GRAPHICS CARDS and still you can't get your games to work like they should on a $1000-1500 SYSTEM, then please by all means have someone else tune your computer for you.

Instead of spending so much money on graphics cards, you might want to consider going down the local store and ordering a few pounds of intelligence... you might get a rebate on that if you're lucky.

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Although, I agree that not Nvidia but its Crytek whose askin for a 1200E+++ system to play it. But its a fact that Nvidia has stagneted, resulting SLI to be the new card upgrade(which means 2x money of a single card) where lies the problem :( And those who are bashing the OP for a stupid thread, can you tell me that you agree to SLI being the only EFFECTIVE way of getting to play games in 2-3yrs??(by that i mean a single card today wont be worth it after 2-3yrs and force you to go sli??)

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
I planned to upgrade my graphics card in a year or so (that would make it 2 years owning a GTS) so it works out fine with my plans. The thing you have to remember is that PC gaming is SCALABLE, if you want ALL the bells and whistles you are going to have to pay for it. Also Crysis is an extreme example of what games are demanding nowadays, I could easily ask what about UT3 or COD4, both are beautiful games that don't require more than a single card to play in 1920x1200.

The thing with Crysis that you have to remember is that it is a title ahead of our time as far as hardware goes, it's also trying to showcase the new engine therefore using as much of it as it possibly can within our hardware limitations, meaning that this engine has a lot more to offer on the upcoming years.

If you want to you could blame hardware stagnation on anyone, you could blame AMD for not being competitive on the high end, blame most of the game studios for consolizing all games and not innovating (Something that Crytek is at least trying to do, and I give them props for that), or you could blame Nvidia for not releasing a new high end (Which isn't a stupid decision from an economical standpoint, why rush out an unfinished chip when you can keep milking the current G80/G92s)

What really gets me is the kind of retarded titles that these type of apocalyptic threads have, this IS the kind of crap that gets console people saying how it is far more affordable to get a console ($400-600) than to get a new PC ($700-900), since PC gaming needs to keep spending $1500-2000 every year according to them to keep up, which ISN'T true, but with people like him spreading it like the plague then we have to deal with these misguided commentaries not too long after this type of threads start to surface.

EDIT: And actually I'm happy that nvidia decided not to release G100 or whatever they're planning to call it any time soon, because to be honest AMD needs time to get the R700 and they cannot afford to be so FAR behind on both CPU and GPU, right now they are competitive on the GPU front on the price segments that matter the most and I thank god for that, and you should be too, because if you're complaining about $500 a pop GTX cards imagine what would it be if AMD was a WHOLE generation behind and the 10600GTS could perform similar to the HD4800Pro/XT, we would have 10800GT and GTS cards going for $700-800 a pop, not to mention $1000+ GTXs.

saintones

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
PC gaming is more expensive in general, but you don't have to spend 2000$ to play some good games. If you have to play Crysis maxed out, let some patches and new hardware come out, the game is ahead of the curve...I've always had a hard time believeing that people can always see huge differences in high settings with or without AA and some of the other "whistles" turned on.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Yeah I noticed aevm, the point I'm trying to make is not about prices, but about common sense, why would anyone want AMD to be left behind like that? Why would anyone want complete software stagnation? Isn't he aware that Crysis is a graphical beast and there's not a single setup that can run it at 2560x1600 maxed out, and that the reason for this is that the software is ahead of our hardware. More importantly, isn't he aware that there is a SETTINGS option on the game menu where you can tune down your settings instead of buying new graphics cards? After all this isn't a console we're talking about.

I'll pick high resolutions and cheap, and play Solitaire :)

Now seriously, yeah, the OP should just pick a resolution and level of eye-candy that his hardware can support. I think Crysis is designed to work very well at high resolutions on 2009's high-end cards, just like Oblivion does on 2007's high-end cards. Good games are designed like that, it gives them a longer life.

I think the op is just getting frustrated at the way Nvidia are just rehashing the same tec, They have obviously taken the decision to milk the existing market with the existing GPU's and why not ? This is the price we pay for lack of competition. While its true that you could move the argument to anybodys door as far as whos fault it is that we cant play newer games at the res/fps that we could the last generation of DX9 games you have to remember that if the software didnt chalenge the hardware we would stagnate that way also.
Personally i feel that MS pushed out Vista about a year early as they knew the graphics companies were having problems with it even before launch and should have given them more time to develope the hardware.
Of course that was never going to MS wanted it out there to make money (well it is a business after all) and everybody is now playing catch up.
However there is an option and its the way i have decided to go. Dont buy vista treat all GPU's as DX9 and buy your upgrades on a price vs performance basis. That way you can buy a whole system that will run Crysis at god fps,it will still look good and will cosy about Half what the op says is required just for the DX10 graphics cards.
Mactronix

4745454b

Titan
I think the op is just getting frustrated at the way Nvidia are just rehashing the same tec, They have obviously taken the decision to milk the existing market with the existing GPU's and why not ? This is the price we pay for lack of competition. While its true that you could move the argument to anybodys door as far as whos fault it is that we cant play newer games at the res/fps that we could the last generation of DX9 games you have to remember that if the software didnt chalenge the hardware we would stagnate that way also.

Its not just Nvidia that isn't releasing any new harddware. I think I read on Anand that AMD isn't releasing anything new this year either, at least for the highend. They are only going to release a dual 3870 card, much like Nvidia is doing. (many new mid and low end cards will come out however.)

spotless

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
hrmm did you know the electric goods (cards, cpu etc) production cost is cost just a fraction of its cost?, they might says "the manufacture cost", but the truth they only send the reference design & let already established factory manufacture it

picture this (analogy) + this is fact, read it in >2005 news week
the cost of production (plus cover) for music cd is = 5cent while cassette is 20 c.

i got friend who own steel factory (they made utensils & cooking stuff) and the prod. cost is less than 10% of the price store.

so i agree, they should make a board that can be officially / supported to be upgraded (ram, gpu, sink) because its just too expensive and its soon to obsolete.

Quote:

Its not just Nvidia that isn't releasing any new harddware. I think I read on Anand that AMD isn't releasing anything new this year either, at least for the highend. They are only going to release a dual 3870 card, much like Nvidia is doing. (many new mid and low end cards will come out however.)

I wasnt meaning to single out Nvidia, just replying to what the op was saying. It may well be the case that neither camp have plans to release any new tec this year but when was the last time Nvidia did release some thing new?(now im picking on them :) ) As far as i can see ATI/AMD have had the 2000 series and now the 3000 series while Nvidia are still selling what is basically a G80 core, isnt it?
Mid to low end is where the main money is made so i guess it makes sence that they concentrate on that sector, its just hard to beleive that there truly isnt a card in the wings that has some kind of real performance inprovement in it.
mactronix

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Just wondering what kind of future we are heading too. While DX10 makes the entrance into the gaming industry, Crysis allready shows that Nvidia (the leader in the moment) can't make a good DX10 card yet that is able to let people play the game with a normal FPS rate.

My opinion is that GPU's will become multicore like CPU's. The prices for the cards will remain the same at each price range because that's how the market works. Enthusiasts spend too much money to get the best graphics in their favorite games, while budget gamers go for affordable cards and medium settings. Occasional gamers go for low cost cards and low settings.

I'm in the budget gamer category. Don't sweat DX10. Games will get optimized, drivers will get optimized, Vista will get fixed by SP2, and dual core cards at all price ranges will arrive in the next couple of years. Alongside quad core in the mainstream, it will make gaming DX10.1 titles quite enjoyable.

Then again, I play mostly CRPG's and RTS, I don't expect framerates above 30 fps. As an example, I first played Oblivion with a P4 2.8 Northwood and a Radeon 9800 Pro in medium settings. Then I upgraded to a 7600GS and when I get a 3850, I'll give Middle Earth Online a go as it has a DX10 patch, and it looks alot more interesting than WoW.

I do sympathize with people playing FPS, they seem to stress graphics cards more than CRPGs, though Hellgate London might stress out the current AMD and Nvidia offerings as well.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006

Harsh, but made me laugh.

...Except that nVidia hasn't been in the sub-$400US range for their top-end cards since like the day of the GeForce 4 Ti. One must learn that the prices of the top will be dictated by what those with bottomless pockets will pay, but things are also governed by the law of diminishing returns; you don't need to buy the most expensive hardware to play; you could likely spend half as much and still get >75% of the power.

"Not optimized?" With most of the games I see this claim made on, it really is just someone saying "my hardware isn't good enough for fully maxed settings and a good framerate. Coincidentally, I have hardware that's at least a little outdated."

I'd note that this isn't really all that much the fault of the hardware makers, so much toward the European governments for their tariffs as well as slapping on that VAT, which while it varies from country to country, is rather high. (whereas in the USA, sales tax cannot apply to inter-state commerce, which tends to be the case when you shop online)

I actually don't strictly take any of them perhaps save for the first. I don't know why people insist on going to resolutions like 1680x1050; I've played at 1024x768 since like the days of Jedi Knight, and have been fine with it. Likewise, I'm willing to splash out a few hundred bucks when I actually buy my video cards, to make sure that they'll be solid and last me for a bit. (my X800XT's still going fairly strong, though Crysis is clearly going to be the undoing of it)

Actually, I've come to the conclusion that nVidia's not trying to do that at all; they ARE producing new tech, after all... And it is working to lower prices. The GeForce 8800GT comes to mind very sharply; we suddenly get 8800GTX-equivalent performance for what, suddenly around 2/3 the cost? It's only been a bit over a year (since late 2006) when we saw the first GeForce 8800 come out... Yet already we've seen the price slashed nearly in half. Likewise, we have attractive options below it, in the form of AMD's Radeon 3850 and 3870 cards.

Discrete graphics card production can't really be equated to stamped-sheet steel manufacturing. Obviously, the production cost of almost ANY product is less than the price it sells for; that's how companies make a profit and stay in business. And likewise, you could phrase that lower cost as "a fraction."

However, advanced semiconductor logic fabrication isn't a cheap process in the very least; you're talking a form of production that, unlike stamping sheet metal, has pretty much zero tolerance for error by comparison. And even when it appears to physically be perfect, a lot of chips wind up being rejects for not being able to run at full spec and remain stable.

Heya, yipsl; long time no see.

At any rate, you're right: prices aren't going to radically change for different levels, though this also has to do with the fact that the production costs are liable to remain the same for each certain level of video card: high-end cards may typically use a rather large CPU die and 8 or 16 chips of GDDR3 or GDDR4, which is going to remain roughly the same cost; advances in technology are going to be parlayed into packing more transistors on; the result is that the amount of silicon remains the same, which tends to lend to about the same production costs.

And I agree, that DX10 is over-rated. Given that Crysis doesn't really seem to improve from it, I wouldn't worry about it. A simple edit of the game will let you use the highest detail settings in DX9 anyway, without having to deal with quirky drivers.

To nottheking
But they are clearly not producing anything truly new tec if you go read some reviews then you will see that the G92 is just a die shrunk G80 with a couple of modifications, ATI on the other hand have given us a whole new architecture and a die shrunk and modified version since Nov 2006 when the G80 first came out.
That's the whole reason why the price has come down they haven't changed the chip that much so there are no costs incurred modifying the process and they have shrunk the die which equals less silicon which in turn makes it physically cheaper to make.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Actually, the OP is correct.

NVIDIA "WANTS" us to spend all of our free money on their cards.
They are a company to make profits.
However, we can CHOOSE to play Crysis on Cheaper Cards.
We can CHOOSE to play different games.

We can CHOOSE to only by GPUs from Non-Profit Hardware manufacturers. (Oh Wait, Maybe there are not any....)