3870 help please

anusgoblin

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
My 3870 just arrived today. Uninstalled old drivers, installed the card, installed new drivers. Graphics are running very sluggish now... windows... everything. When I try to boot up gears of war or UT3 (or any other game im assuming) it just stays at the splash screen and the computer runs insanely slow. have to end the process to get it to stop. Even scrolling down a page is laggy... wtf. FYI my power supply is sufficient and i ensured to conect the 6 pin to the card.

My sound also seems to have miraculously been disabled.

WTF ATI!??!?!!?

MikosNZ

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
Always best to use a clean up tool when switching to a new card;

-uninstall drivers
-use driveCleaner
-reinstall drivers (ideally 7.12 cat from ati website)

p.s. What card did you move from?

MikosNZ

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
Oh and the sound issue is easy to resolve. Go into control panel and check your audio settings. Make sure the output device is your sound card or onboard device. The 3870 installation unfortunately changes the default sound output to the HDMI connection on the 3870 card.

anusgoblin

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
i cant seem to find the HDMI audio anywhere... wtf.... heres what i see. im using vista so... well its awful ill tell you that much.

http://home.comcast.net/~dat_monkey/Untitled.jpg

thats what i have.

as far as the driver cleaner goes where do i download that from? I used to add remove programs thing and ATI cleanup tool or something... Do you really think this could be the problem? At this point I am VERY VERY frustrated. Ive been waiting for this thing to come for literally a month (backorder) and now that i have it it doesn't even work... its also a substantial downgrade seeing as how it has robbed me of my music.

Oh and i switched from a 7600GT

Thank you for the response, i REALLY appreciate it. I'm so angry right now i'm shaking. I just feel helpless.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
If you're having so much trouble, I think the best solution is just to reformat, because honestly it's going to take you twice or three times as long trying to figure out your problems AND then fixing them than a clean installation of windows would. IF it's not an option, then Driver Cleaner can be found by just googling it.

anusgoblin

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

alright if formatting is the only solution im just going to go ahead and return the card and install my old one. That is simply ridiculous. EVERY time I buy an ATI card i have problems like this. I will never do so again... In fact I'm out of the PC gaming business altogether, it just isn't worth the headache. I don't have time for this. I guess ill call ATI tech support tomorrow... I doubt it will be of much help as I'm sure it's been outsourced to india.

oh and FYI i tried to driver cleaner tool... looks like it found some nvidia stuff... uninstalled the ATI drivers and cleaned them too... reinstalled ATI drivers... now i get an ati messege when i restart saying something along the lines of "could not load file or assembly MOM.implementation". Not really sure what that's about.

I'm now thinking I should have bought an ipod instead... I Kind of expected to run into a few problems... but no audio wasn't one of them. that's unbelievably absurd and ridiculous. wtf?

Again i appreciate everyones help... thank you for being patient with me and my rants.

emp

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Honestly you're giving up because of a simple format? PC tuning isn't for you I'm afraid then, because you're bound to run into these type of issues all the time when installing new hardware (not necessarily only graphics cards) and you have to learn to deal with it to get it working.

If I were in your position I wouldn't return the card, I'd just get someone else to format your PC for $5-10 and get it up and running, I know I would do it for you if I could.

anusgoblin

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I simply do not have the time or energy to back up all of my files... I just went through this a month ago; my HDD dyed and I had to get a new one. I lost everything. I'm VERY stressed right now due to school.

Anyways. I did a system restore and got rid of that mom.implementation error. Went back to before I uninstalled my nvidia drivers. Went into safe mode, uninstalled them, ran driver cleaner, etc, rebooted, installed ATI drivers and I have the same problem. So that can be ruled out as the culprit i suppose.

CNeufeld

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Unfortunately, formatting your PC is the easy part. Getting all your apps re-configured, and everything else set up the way it was is the hard part.

Clint

Mendoza

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
what your config atm?

CPU, drives, Power Supply....

I've installed 7 ati 3800 series, and about 14 Nvidea 8800 series in the past month. The only time one of the cards ran like crap was a powersupply issue.

Mendoza

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Also the MoM implementation error usual happen after a bad driver install. Make sure you Have Microsoft.net 2.0 installed and updated then uninstall ATI driver/Catalyst Control Panel. Then reinstall the ATI driver.

Hope that helps.

anusgoblin

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
550w antec something or other with 3 18amps on 3 9v rails... 4200X2... 2GB ram... 2 CD drives 1 HDD... Hp mediacenter. I got rid of the MOM error by doing system restore. I didn't read the directions when doing drive cleaner (lol) but that is all fixed now. The problem persists however. Is it possible that the card is not in the PCIE slot all the way?

Wow! PSU sounds fine, but did you make sure that you plugged in the 6 pin PCI-e power connection onto the GPU? Could you give us full specs please? This includes model/make of system and all of the parts. Sometimes the small details will open everyones eyes and help us to be able to assist better.

anusgoblin

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

Yes, the 6 pin power connector is plugged in and secure. This is my PC:
http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-media-center/4505-3118_7-31832995.html

Cept the 300GB HDD dyed (ggrrrr) and I replaced it with a 250GB one. I have no idea on the mobo.

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Don't reformat YET.

If you have another drive around then format it and put the new OS and drivers on that and see if there is any difference first

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
what version of catalyst you tried?
also, is your mobo a PCI EXPRESS 2.0 or 1.X?
what videocard you had before?
also, what brand of 3870?
I had seroius problems with Visiontek, coldboots & stuff, after changing my bios, using CC cleaner and stuff like that, managed to make it work fine.

*edit*
before I forgot, I hope you downloaded the correct drivers for Windows Media right?
they're different than the usual catalyst for XP-Vista.

Tc17

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
Kind of sounds like something is conflicting with it. Make sure your internal video card is disabled in the bios.

Also, now that you mentioned it, I noticed my sound control panel is missing. Someone in another thread said something about them disabling the sound in the video card to get it back (I assume it has something to do with the hdmi connection and its sound, I don't know).

I haven't had any other problems though with my 3870. It works great.

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
My friend just build a new rig and his issues disappeared when he got a new bios update, seems the MB didn't support the 3870.

MikosNZ said it here, and I believe I posted it in the other thread, but the HD3870 install will make itself your default sound output device. You can just go back into control panel under Sound and choose the device you really want to use.
My HD3870 is sitting on a shelf though, and may remain there until at least another driver version. Performance was good, but not even Rivatuner would properly adjust the fan speeds on it.

anusgoblin

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I don't believe my PCIE is 2.0... im assuming since my computer is around 2 years old its 1. something. I am using windows vista... and i cant find anywhere to disable the HDMI audio.

how do i update my bios?

anusgoblin

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Not sure on the motherboard type. I'm begining to think it has to do with the BIOS though. I'm looking into upgrading it...however HP does not offer a bios update for windows vista... for whatever reason... so im going to need to dual boot XP on here... Anyone know if a virtual machine will do the trick?

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
go to the device manager and disable the video card's sound from there, that's what I did on my 3850. worked like a charm. you have to accept that the card may just be defective too. try using omega's 7.12 drivers and be sure you DON'T install the atitool, or the CCC for ATI's inhouse drivers. I had random crashes from the atitool (and CCC), uninstalled it and everything seems fine now.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
not sure what you mean by "bios update for vista". bios had nothing to do with your operating system. do you mean they don't have a flashing tool for vista? if that's the case, just use a 3rd party program to flash it in windows (I won't flash from DOS anymore... bad things happened many years ago...)