correct voltage for Intel Core2 Quad

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Hi,
I haven't found my question in the search and hope that it's not redundant.
My problem:
System works fine after it has booted up but most of the time, I get the message:"Overclocking failed. Enter setup to re-configure your system. F1-setup or F2 to load default values to continue".
I have replaced the Corsair Ram, reset the jumper, made sure the C-Mos Battery is fully charged.
Corsair Tech Support advised me to change the voltage (In Bios/Advanced) to 1.7 Volt.
Now I'm getting the message:" CPU over voltage error".
My CPU doesn't give me any clue as to what voltage it is supposed to be set at.
Does anybody have any suggestions??

CPU:Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz LGA 775
Mobo: P5K3 Deluxe ?WiFi- AP
Ram: Corsair Twin 3X2048-1333C9/ 2GB (1 each) DDR3
Video: XFX GeForce 8800 GT
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower 700 Watt
HDD: WD 500 GB 7200RPM
DVD: LG 18X Super Multi Re-Writer

I hope that this gives you enough info.
I'll appreciate any suggestions you have. Thanks in advance!

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006

If you have a B3 stepping then go to this link: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9UM

If you have G0 stepping then go to this link: http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLACR

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Set the CPU voltage back to auto and see what happens. As you can see from the links above Intel shows 0.85 - 1.5 volts. You have your voltage set to high at 1.7v
I run a Quad QX6850 and it's overclocked to 3.6GHz and my core voltage is only 1.35 volts. I don't know why the Corsair tech would tell you that unless maybe he was talking about memory voltage.

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
This came from Corsair's web site and the tech was talking about the memory voltage.

Tested together at 1333MHz, Vdimm =
1.70V, at latency settings of 9-9-9-24

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thank you so much for your help and the links to Intel and Corsair.
I haven't had a chance to check it out yet...
Will write if it helps. Thanks again!!!

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Yes, you right, they meant the memory voltage.
Thanks for the tip of the cpu voltage. How do read the core temp/vid?
I still have so much to learn and it's fun.
Thanks for a great forum.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Memory voltage should be somewhere around 1.9~2.1V, depends on your memory's specification. As for CPU, you should get 3.0Ghz easily just from the stock voltage. If not, slightly bump your vCore to 1.275.

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thank you so much for all who have taken the time to reply!!!!!!!!
The problem is fixed!
I found the VID Rating and set the CPU Core voltage to 1.5V
and set the Corsair DDR3 memory settings to voltage 1.7 V and the timing to 9-9-9-24
It's great to have learned something new and I'm so happy to have found this forum and it's members. Thank you!! Ann

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
anken,

Now, try lowering your core voltage a little at a time. The lower the voltage the cooler the core will run and 1.5v is max for that processor. Like I said earlier, I have mine overclocked and my core is at 1.325v's. You can probably run yours at 1.275 to 1.35v's with no problem. That's if you don't overclock. Cooler is better.

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thank you again, dallasjoh!
I sure don't want to max out the processor. Will set the core v down to 1.275 v.
This system is mainly used for M.S.Flight Simulator with a lot of added scenery and planes and it needs to be stable.
I still have a lot to learn...

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
1.275v is a starting point. If it is stable fine if not then raise it one notch until it becomes stable. Or you could just set it to AUTO and let the BIOS regulate the voltage. Right now I am not overclocking and my CPU voltage is set to AUTO and PC Probe shows the voltage at 1.27v.

I run M.S. Flight Simulator X on mine.

anken

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Thank you, dallasjoh.
I had most everything set to auto before and had a lot of problems.
Maybe the Corsair DDR3 was not working well with the Bios. Have updated the Bios and used the manual settings and all is are going well.
Yes, I'll start with 1.27v and monitor the temps.
Do you have any problems with FSX? So far, we have stayed with FS9 and WinXP because we have heard about so many horror stories.
This is our 2. home built system and it's more complex than the one we built 4 yrs. ago. I'm learning as I'm going along. So, I appreciate your advice very, very much! Thanks again!

dallasjoh

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I have had no problems with FSX. I have had only a few small problems with Vista Ultimate 64bit. Granted, I had to purchase some new software because some of my old software would not work with either Vista or the 64bit. I have installed the Vista SP1 Release Candidate and it made a big difference in the OS. I have not had any problems since. I can honestly say that I will not go back to XP.

I am so glad I could help. Should you have anymore problems in the future just post them on the forum and someone will be glad to help you. I think this forum is the best there is and there is a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum willing to help. "Good Luck"