Advance Overclocking Guide: The Precise Way - Preface Only

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
I am making an overclocking guide for advance Ocers and would like to hear opinions based on this preface:

Preface
When overclocking an Intel Core 2 Dual CPU, we are overclocking the motherboard, RAM, and CPU. Changing all those settings at once is a poor way to overclock, since an error or BSOD due to the overclock will leave you clueless on which of the component is unstable. This may be a gruesome task to figure out and solve.

The most common overclocking failures are due to RAM instability. Thus, when running Windows with unstable ram, BSODs are likely to happen. Unstable RAM also effects Prime95/Orthos stress testing, whether it be small FFTs or blend since the program itself is running in Windows. Knowing this, it is logical to get the RAM stable first before proceeding any further.

When the RAM is deemed stable, we will move on to the motherboard, adjusting the voltage to get that FSB perfectly stable. Then we finally overclock the CPU to the desired speed. By doing this, we can focus on each component of the system one by one, and not all at once. This guide for advanced overclockers will allow you to do so, allowing the most precise overclock.

If this is widely welcomed, I will put forth all my effort into creating this guide.

Please give me your opinion! :bounce:

I'm all for it. There are already some useful C2D Quad overclocking guides like this one.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overclock-quads-duals-guide

Use a lot of charts and graphs like this to facilitate and to attract attention :ouch: :

hangoverrg2.gif

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
i can see you are aiming at the sticky aye!lol i think you should put this guide based on the P45 as the starting point as from now on the more advance setting will be available in the mainstream mobo. so the advance thing we are doing now will be what the noobs will be stuck at in the time to come. by then hopefully we move onto something more ADVANCE.lol

where did you get the graph btw badge?look like you nicked it from a science lad 50 years ago!lol

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
do you know the features in the X38 and X48 got to the P45 already? thats why i said start the guide off P45 as a base then lead to the even more advance tweaks in the X series mobo.:)

ASUS revamped their BIOS withr the Republic of Gamers edition X38 Formula edition. The newly designed American megatrends advanced BIOS adds quite a lot of feaatures aimed at hard core enthusiasts. I'll see if I can find a link. Don't know if that new enhanced BIOS is available to the P45 ASUS editions.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
currently the best OC P45 is the Biostar Tpower P45 if you havent already heard. search for it on google. along with the words WORLD RECORD and you will see it everywhere. 746mhz i think it was.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Thanks mate, will try to add it in. :D