Sign in with
Your question

AMD used in Green low power consuming PC!

Last response: in CPUs
January 12, 2008 5:59:06 PM

This Computer manufacturer is taking the environment seriously and has built a low power system using none other than the AMD BE-2300.
AMD is a wise choice for such a PC....AMD is leading the way!

Intel has ground to make up I believe

Artice:
http://www.vnunet.com/personal-computer-world/hardware/...

Quotes from Article:
Quote:
Green is in, that's for sure, with electronics manufacturers queuing up to tout their environmentally friendly credentials

Quote:
The processor is an AMD Athlon X2 BE-2300 dual-core chip running at 1.9GHz; Very PC tells us that free upgrades to the faster 2.1GHz chip are also available. The 'BE' is a codename for AMD's line of energy-efficient Brisbane processors, which draw only 45W of power compared to the 90-110W used by greedier chips

Quote:
It comes with 1GB of DDR2 memory, which is sufficient to run the supplied Windows Vista Home Premium

Quote:
when idle, power consumption sat just below 50W, only rising to around 60-70W when put under strain

AMD is saving the planet! AMD care about our electric Bills! AMD technology recommended! Intel are Evil! AMD4Life!
January 12, 2008 6:04:02 PM

Oh noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.... Not again! Here we go with another 250 posts respondng to this flamebait. :( 
January 12, 2008 6:32:57 PM

Thunderman,
Thunderman,
Radioactive Thunderman......
Related resources
January 12, 2008 6:38:59 PM

50 watt idle, 60-70 under load? About the same power consumption as my P4 HTPC rig. I guess I'm saving the planet too.
January 12, 2008 7:30:41 PM

45W?!? Damn!!! Doesn't AMD have any Low Wattage Chips???

How about a Chip using 2.5w idle and only 27w under load.
Oh, and magnitudes faster.

Or Perhaps You want Intels Cheaper 35w TDP lower end chips that come in cheaper than the BE.

Thanks for the amusing article.
January 12, 2008 7:59:53 PM

Quit advertising on the THG forums
January 12, 2008 8:04:01 PM

thunderman said:
This Computer manufacturer is taking the environment seriously and has built a low power system using none other than the AMD BE-2300.

Artice:
http://www.vnunet.com/personal-computer-world/hardware/...

Quotes from Article:
Quote:
Green is in, that's for sure, with electronics manufacturers queuing up to tout their environmentally friendly credentials

Quote:
The processor is an AMD Athlon X2 BE-2300 dual-core chip running at 1.9GHz; Very PC tells us that free upgrades to the faster 2.1GHz chip are also available. The 'BE' is a codename for AMD's line of energy-efficient Brisbane processors, which draw only 45W of power compared to the 90-110W used by greedier chips

Quote:
It comes with 1GB of DDR2 memory, which is sufficient to run the supplied Windows Vista Home Premium

Quote:
when idle, power consumption sat just below 50W, only rising to around 60-70W when put under strain

AMD is saving the planet! AMD care about our electric Bills! AMD technology recommended! Intel are Evil! AMD4Life!

IF AMD is saving the planet, them in going to revert over to intel, just for the shear spite that i am using that bit more energy and contributing to "global warming".

I hate environmentalists, there like the modern day hippie....Im sure they would all be happy if we lived in wood houses and drank boiled water as food. :fou: 
January 12, 2008 8:59:08 PM

AMD's killing the world if anything. Howz that green?
January 12, 2008 11:06:56 PM

global warming is a religion not a science

when you factor in how slow the cpu's are the 50w = 200 intel watts

70w intel cpu = 200watt amd cpu
January 12, 2008 11:10:08 PM

First of all, I would simply question this article's validity. The author confused TDP with power consumption. They are not the same.

Secondly, this is getting old. Grow up.

Enough said.
January 12, 2008 11:18:46 PM

Global warming is no religion. It will always happen, no matter what. After global warming comes the Ice Age. The true question is, do we humans speed global warming up?

@yomamafor1
Didn't bother reading the article. :) 
January 12, 2008 11:23:45 PM

I didn't either. I just read the quote, and point out the error.
January 12, 2008 11:27:11 PM

Guys and gals my advice to you is to ignore this post..................

Just walk away from the keyboard.

January 12, 2008 11:29:51 PM

Well that's impossible, caamsa.

The best thing I can do is go off topic and get this thread locked.
January 12, 2008 11:32:26 PM

Halfnium
January 12, 2008 11:35:01 PM

Perhaps we can try setting the record of getting the thread locked?

What is the record anyways?
January 13, 2008 12:47:57 AM

Quote:
Tri-SLI?

Actually I think she was more like Bi-SLI....
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2008 1:00:49 AM

Isn't her number 867-5309?
January 13, 2008 1:28:43 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Well that's impossible, caamsa.

The best thing I can do is go off topic and get this thread locked.

Nope, no lockage, but there will be a lot of deletage.
January 13, 2008 1:32:56 AM

runswindows95 said:
Isn't her number 867-5309?

Guess no one else is old enough to get the Jenny, Jenny refernce
January 13, 2008 1:33:48 AM

turpit said:
Guess no one else is old enough to get the Jenny, Jenny refernce

Only reason I knew it was Blues Brothers.
January 13, 2008 1:36:48 AM

cnumartyr said:
Only reason I knew it was Blues Brothers.

I only knew it from watching Nick@Night re-runs of Cheers when they had an episode with the song in it.
January 13, 2008 1:54:47 AM

turpit said:

Aww turpit did you have to delete all of it?

Well, I figured as much...
January 13, 2008 2:00:52 AM

Evilonigiri said:
Aww turpit did you have to delete all of it?

Well, I figured as much...

Yup. This isnt the 'basement',---the only place that stuff was fit for.....this is a 'family' site man, keep it clean and skip the innuendo.
January 13, 2008 2:02:00 AM

Hahaha sorry my bad.
January 13, 2008 2:02:16 AM

turpit said:
Yup. This isnt the 'basement',---the only place that stuff was fit for.....this is a 'family' site man, keep it clean and skip the innuendo.

True enough.

To be fair atleast we kept it "high brow." Kinda...
January 13, 2008 2:04:36 AM

turpit said:

Deletage hmm no such word......

:lol: 

"if you wanna stay happy for the rest of your life never make a __________ woman your wife........

are we quoting songs now............
January 13, 2008 2:08:28 AM

Well back to the topic ;) 

Quote:

No way right? I don't run Vista but I heard 2Gig is the bare minimum to run Vista smoothly.
January 13, 2008 3:57:31 AM

cnumartyr said:
True enough.

To be fair atleast we kept it "high brow." Kinda...

Yes, you did at that, but not high enough to prevent others from catching on and joining in....and soon, it would have been 15 pages of the Mrs Phillips Chronicles.
January 13, 2008 4:38:02 AM

turpit said:
Yes, you did at that, but not high enough to prevent others from catching on and joining in....and soon, it would have been 15 pages of the Mrs Phillips Chronicles.

I was waiting for strangestranger. :p 

Now wouldn't that be fun.
January 13, 2008 6:19:58 AM

Evilonigiri said:
I was waiting for strangestranger. :p 

Now wouldn't that be fun.

God help us all :kaola: 
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 13, 2008 6:32:14 AM

Ahhhh good ol thunderman. Always doing something useless.

I could point out that Intel could release the tera-scale CPU and have that in full use that uses barely 62watts but does the job of 130 regualr CPUs. Yea its a bit more but when you factore in the work it does it cuts its watts used down a lot where as anything from AMD can still only act as one CPU.

I think it would be interesting to see the tera-scale setup as a hom CPU or even just in the server arena for now. Maybe AMD should try for a tera chip.
a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
January 13, 2008 7:02:52 AM

thunderman said:

January 13, 2008 8:18:22 AM

cnumartyr said:
Actually I think she was more like Bi-SLI....

Oh, BTW, I didnt mention, it was quite a good series of post. Well done, even if it was inappropriate
January 13, 2008 8:53:37 AM

*enters thread... unleashes atomic fart... exit's thread*
/WW wont come upstairs will he?
January 13, 2008 9:37:44 AM

This desktop consumes only 60w-70w when on full load, with a below 50w idle consumption....very good by anyones standards. I made a thread sometime ago with proof that AMD is still the better choice for Idle dual core consumption. To have lower consumption...you'd need an AMD Turion Laptop. There was a reason why this manufacturer used AMD for their desktop and for a good reason. This manufacturer has good business sense and I can predict many sales.

These low power AMD X2 processors are impressive and offer decent performance to. AMD innovation!
January 13, 2008 12:43:00 PM

thunderman said:
This desktop consumes only 60w-70w when on full load, with a below 50w idle consumption....very good by anyones standards.

It is, but certainly not good enough for E2160.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=934

50W peak at load, for the entire computer.

I made a thread sometime ago with proof that AMD is still the better choice for Idle dual core consumption. To have lower consumption...you'd need an AMD Turion Laptop. There was a reason why this manufacturer used AMD for their desktop and for a good reason. This manufacturer has good business sense and I can predict many sales. said:

I made a thread sometime ago with proof that AMD is still the better choice for Idle dual core consumption. To have lower consumption...you'd need an AMD Turion Laptop. There was a reason why this manufacturer used AMD for their desktop and for a good reason. This manufacturer has good business sense and I can predict many sales.

Unfortunately, Turion loses out to Centrino in terms of power consumption, and performance. With the debut of 45nm mobile Core 2, the gap is only getting bigger.

These low power AMD X2 processors are impressive and offer decent performance to. AMD innovation! said:
These low power AMD X2 processors are impressive and offer decent performance to. AMD innovation!

I admire your inability of calling a spade a spade. AMD had their moments, but they currently are not the winner here.
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2008 4:27:10 PM

OOOOOOOOh yes

AMD have given us a low powered processor

Nothing new there then :) 

and if it relates to energy consumption they won that too
because no one wants to use one anyway

and im off to B&Q to get a 99p bucket to throw up after Thundermans replies
January 13, 2008 5:20:23 PM

The Pentium Dual core series is the lowest power consumption DC processors Intel currently offer....their chipsets are power hungry. An AMD chipset motherboard is not only cheaper, also lower in power consumption. Intel motherboards are expensive and the cheap ones suck....it would of destroyed the whole concept of this being a cheap low priced PC. The manufacturer would have have weighed up the pro's and cons of using Intel or AMD...then decided AMD was the better logical choice and what their customers want.

Evil Intel copy everything AMD! AMD innovate! Intel are Evil! Save the planet and buy AMD!

AMD4Life!
January 13, 2008 5:21:52 PM

thunderman said:
The Pentium Dual core series is the lowest power consumption DC processors Intel currently offer....their chipsets are power hungry. An AMD chipset motherboard is not only cheaper, also lower in power consumption. Intel motherboards are expensive and the cheap ones suck....it would of destroyed the whole concept of this being a cheap low priced PC. The manufacturer would have have weighed up the pro's and cons of using Intel or AMD...then decided AMD was the better logical choice and what their customers want.

Evil Intel copy everything AMD! AMD innovate! Intel are Evil! Save the planet and buy AMD!

AMD4Life!

Seriously, you must have such a depressing life.
January 13, 2008 5:36:19 PM

thunderman said:
Save the planet and buy AMD!

I'd rather kill the planet in order to get rid of people like you.

kthxbye
January 13, 2008 5:47:49 PM

96Firebird said:
I'd rather kill the planet in order to get rid of people like you.

kthxbye

word
January 13, 2008 5:48:13 PM

thunderman said:

AMD4Life!

Ah, the first step of the grieving process... denial
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2008 6:15:29 PM

Hey Thunderman

Your being quoted for all the wrong reasons......

Whats it liked to be

A . unwanted
b. unloved
c. un educated
d. un happy
e under powered

i could go on, go buy a life off ebay and do us all a favour
January 13, 2008 6:37:25 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Post Of the Thread :D 

[:turpit:2]

You missed most of the ones Turpit deleted...
January 13, 2008 6:39:33 PM

thunderman said:

AMD4Life!

Glad that you could take the time to respond to anyone questioning your other posts

I'm surprised you didn't start another thread with this paragraph, actually I guess it's because you haven't caused enough of a poostorm already in this thread.

successful troll is successful

6/10

I had to take points off for reusing the exact same strategy over and over again but why change something that works for you?

!