SATA Solid State Hard Drives backup and or clone

onclejean

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
I am about to experiment with a 120GB Solid State Disk 2.5” SATA drive added to my system in place of one out of four 135 GB SATA II Western Digital disks. All these disks have Windows XP installed and with disk 0 as the system drive the others sequential backups ( son, father, grandfather, etc). The backup of the system disk is by copying it to the other disks sequentially using Caspar 5 day by day: also an image of the system disk is made to a large external SATA WD 500GB USB disk once a week using Acronis True Image Echo Workstation.

If all goes well the new SSD will become the boot drive. I have not yet decided what to do about backups for the SSD. Caspar write that Caspar 5 will copy the SSD to the conventional disks without problems and that if I adjust the size of the conventional disks so that they are all 120GB (plus unused space) Caspar 5 will use "Accuclone" as the method, which is very fast, currently backups of around 40GB data take about 2 minutes.

With regard to the archive backup images, Acronis write that they think that SSD's, being essentially just large flash drives, cannot be imaged. If this is the case I will have to use the Irish solution and make the external image backup from disk 1 instead of disk 0. However I cannot find any information on this subject and would be grateful for advice.

John Butler
14rh December 2008

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
you go through a lot of pain for your backup/imaging strategy... and I'm not sure it has any value to it.
What is the actual objective of all this? (beyond and before experimenting with SSDs)

onclejean

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
You are right the objective is to find out how to backup SSDs.

But there is no pain. The existing system is easy to setup and well tried: it provides the security I need as a large company's software tester.
Even if I was only using a simple one plus one scheduled backup program I would still like to be able to use it with SSD disks

onclejean

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Hi geofelt

Thanks for your help. That is good news because Acronis would not support the pracice,
I am going to go from 134GB sata to to 120GB ssd: I acve True Image Work Station ACI (i.e version 10)
Did you use "clone" within windiows" or from th Acronis bootdisk
John

I installed acronis true image 11 home in Vista home premium 64.
I just did the clone operation under vista.

RogerB27

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Thanks for this string.....Been having same cloning issues moving to new Vaio with SSD from old one - and with Acronis Ver 10 will not see SSD unsing a bootable disk. Assume Ver 11 is what they call Home 2009?? Will download update and try from within Vista - will let you know!

TRENDING THREADS