Phenom vs Intel Quadcore

waynezo

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
Hello,

I am going to order a new computer from Cyberpowerpc. I am going to use it for video editing and web video with multiple monitor display. I may wan't to overclock it. Is it better to get a Phenom or a middle grade intel Quad Core?

Here is the rest of my plan

2 or 4 raptors raid 0
2 video cards 512mb each
650 to750 watt PS
4 gig memory
vista 32 bit home prem
4 or 8 gig ready boost usb drive
liquid cooling
motherboard undecided

Please respond with any opinion or critique of this configuration.

Does any one know of a better vendor than cyberpowerpc (price vs reputation)

Thanks,

Waynezo

My current system,
Athlon XP2400 cpu
Gigabyte GA-7vaxp Rev 1.1 mb with promise onboard raid controller Bios Award F8
Serial No. : 010471933173101421sn0240904160
Kingston value ram 1536mb DDR pc3200 400mhz
Dual 80gig maxtor hd's 7200rpm ata 133 raid 0
Seagate 500GB and 250GB external hard drives
Artec 16X DVD-ROM
Cyberdrive 40X16X48 CDRW
Verbatim 2.4X DVD+RW/R
Liteon Superallwrite lightscribe 16/48 DVD/CDRW
ATI all in wonder 8500dv AGP primary video card
Radeon 9250 256MB PCI Secondary video card
HANNS-G 28" High Def LCD Monitor HG281
2 Hyundai 19" LCD Imagequest Monitors L90D+
Antec 430 watt true power ps
Ahanix platinum xp steel case
Windows xp home sp1
AVG Free antivirus
Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall 4.3
Westell Versalink 327 WDK DSL Gateway
Bellsouth DSL running @ 3 Mbps

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
- Wait 10 days for possible Quad surprises from Intel.
- Spinpoints or 7200.11s. Save a lot of $, get more GB, and you'll likely not know the difference to Raptys.
- I'd up the PSU over 750 for two 8800GT 512s or simlar.
- Why go 32 bit Vista. Go 64 bit and get the full use of your 4GB.
- ReadyBoost is Not ready nor boosting. Save your $. Buy more beer.
- If you're not madly OCing why bother with WC? If you've got two video cards in there and you don't stick waterblocks on them theyll be a huge heatsource. Go with top air. Save your $. Buy more beer.
- Newegg has the best rep and close to the best prces in US. Ncix has it in Canada.

I'm OlSkoolChopper and I aproved this message.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
650W would be pushing it a little. 750W should be fine.

I personally would not buy from Cyberpowerpc. Crappy services. Why don't you build it yourself?

A good vendor would be Maingear. It's a bit expensive but well worth it imo.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Yep obviously Stranger didn't read your post. I'd get a quality one around the 750W range, not because you would need all 750W, but because you don't want the PSU to be strained at over 90% capacity for long periods of time. Not very efficient at higher useage levels and will really shorten it's lifespan.

Since you need a Quad for video editing I'd buy Intel right now, they simply have the best Quad solution. We're expecting to see some new things around January 20ish in the 45nm realm so I'd wait to see what happens there first. If there's nothing for quads, or nothing priced decently enough, I'd grab a Q6600 and overclock it. Do you intend to do heavy overclocking, since you said liquid cooling?? If so, you may want DDR2-1066 memory so you have more headroom to get past 3.6Ghz w/o OCing the memory itself.

Also about 2 video cards, have you decided on which ones? I would suggest getting two Radeon 3780 cards (512mb each) and using them in an X38 motherboard since it supports full bandwidth/electrical/speed on both PCIe slots (just because they're both called PCIe does NOT mean they both run at 16x bandwidth/electricl/speed!). ATi cards' Crossfire performance is much better than SLI, plus I always prefer non-nVidia/SLI motherboards. SLI's performance isn't worth it anyway. Look at the Asus P5E or Maximus Formula X38 motherboards.

Also, if you're going to wait a little bit to see what happens with Intel's 45nm releases, might as well wait and see what the prices are like on ATi's soon to be released 3870x2's. They're basically two graphics processors on one card, so you can still put two of the cards into Crossfire :) (For a total of four graphic processing units).

Cheers and good luck!