When are we going to seee some nvida 9800 Benchmarks????

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
We will probably see the first leaked but fairly accurate benchies about 1 week before release that will keep everyone argueing until the day of release.

This stage is particularly good fun as everyone takes sides and either hits out at the sites questionable authenticity or says why would they fake it. People then proceed to examine how the performance sits in relation to existing products and predicted price performance ratio etc etc. The fan bois (is that the correct plural?) probably have a bigger field day during this time period than any other.

On the day of release Toms hardware post the article they prepared well in advance but couldnt publish due to NDA's as soon as someone gets to the office that day. Probably 6 hours after some of the other tech sites, people will complain loudly about how "slow" toms is then proceed to rubbish the review for being less than 25 pages long and having one too many commas in...

Its the normal way of things.

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

Yeah that card was pretty awesome for it's time. Much better than the FX series, which was a travesty. When I upgraded from my crappy FX 5200 Ultra to the 9800 Pro, it was amazing. I could actually play BF2 without it looking like a game from 1991.

Loser777

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
I would be more interested in ATI's Dual chip card. I'm not so interested in the 9800 now because it has become more of an 8900GX2...
The R680 or whatever, is going to be two chips on a single PCB, so I hope that design will scale much better than a "Compacted" form of SLI.
The 9800 was declared to maybe be 30% more than an 8800 ULTRA, a big turn-off from the originally pronounced THREE TIMES AS POWERFUL.

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
i really find it sad that nvidia would call that "9800gx2" a 9 series card...i dont understand why they wouldn't label it 8900gx2 if its still G92 cores (maybe its not..)

anyway you look at it, its a major letdown from the rumors (but what can you expect?)

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006

It was 2 times as powerful which came off of the fud site. Yeah im rooting for AMD, not only that but i bet The dual GPU on the same pcb either ties or slightly beats the 9800 GX2. Think of the consequences if it doesn't...... Overpriced 9800 cards...A nightmare.

randomizer

Champion

Farcry broke it though.