Questions about the Antec P182

NezaH

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5c8OL7UoU0&feature=related

in that review on the case it stated that on the top HD cage you can add a additional 120mm fan , and he also said it acts as an exhaust fan. how can this be? doesnt this mean thats this is going to blow air away. but if its doing that where is the air gonna go when the front door is closed.

and im also not clear about the bottom 120mm fan. does it blow air towards the HD or away? i hope it blows air towards the hd cage. i really want my 750gig to be cool.

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
1) The additional (optional) 120mm fan intakes air, and helps create a air tunnel with the other intake fan in the front.

2) The bottom fan pulls air from the HD, and pushes air through the PSU.

Your HD will be fine. It is a the bottom of the case (ie. cooler ambient air) and is isolated from the other hot components.

PS. It's a amazing case!

NezaH

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
sorry babybudha but i just dont understand your first reply can you repeat that in a way a 5th grader will understand i guess ;x lol , and ive read that the WD 750Gig runs preety hot so you think if the bottom case fan isolates the hot air it will stay cool?

babybudha

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2006
I can't explain my first point any better without drawing a picture....but I'm too tired right now to do so.

As for the HD staying cool, the case is compartmentalized. Meaning different areas are isolated from one another. It has nothing to do with the fans.

I am 99.999999% sure your HD will be fine. I would not worry about it at all.

NezaH

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
alright , hmm can you explain the first explanation in another way i guess? i wouldnt want you to go threw all that drawing lol :x

NezaH

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
on the upper HD chamber im still confused about 2 things

1. should i put a fan in front of the HD drive and on the other side? or is this pointless.

2. and someone mentioned that fan is a exhaust , is that true or will it blow towards the GPU

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
literally just got this case, and let me tell you, its amazing. it has great airflow AND is completely silent.. everything is padded w/ rubber so no vibrations. you shouldn't bother to install any more fans than stock, it has plenty. go buy it ;]

tonymarcus

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007

Hello,

What speeds do you have the case fans set on for it to be silent (Low, Med or High), also what CPU cooler are you using ??

Tony

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007

well, i if you need RAID or 8 sata ports, go for the R...if not, the L is the same thing with less ports and no RAID support. i would go w/ the L if i didn't need the ports (the DS3L comes with 4 i believe, which is plenty for avg person)

Hello,

What speeds do you have the case fans set on for it to be silent (Low, Med or High), also what CPU cooler are you using ??
i have all my case fans on low (extremely inaudible..) and an Ultra X-Wind CPU cooler (its roughly the same as Zalman 9700 i think..)

i have my E6300 @ 2.66 for 24/7 and always 100% loaded with F@H. Temps @ load are 48C.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006

1) I don't see the point of the whole wind tunnel thing. I'm not even sure you need any front fans with the top and back 120mm's running medium or high. But if you run them on low then I'd just install one fan on the front of the case and remove the upper HDD cage (I think it would look better).

2) It's not for exhaust. The front fans, if you install them, are for air intake. The bottom compartment fan blows towards the power supply. Air flows from front to back/top.

One thing to note is that this case won't easily accept long PSUs, such as the Enermax Galaxy. The bottom fan gets in the way. Even if you remove the fan, the fan bracket still gets in the way.

NezaH

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
i got the Corsair 520HX

m0nstor with 4SATA ports i can still have 4 HD's but no RAID right?

and how many hd's do you have if u dont mine me asking , because im very paranoid.

this computer i currently have the hd like gets corruptd every year and i have to reformat , how reliable are hd's.

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007

yes, you can have 4 HDD, but NO raid. im not sure if it has 4 (im sure you can check newegg or something..)
i have 5 HDD, 1 SATA DVD burner. i also personally like having extra, for whatever reason. youll be fine with DS3L im sure

doghills

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
As far as the review saying it was an exhaust fan I'm 99% sure he was saying it is exhaust for the HD cages so it will blow the air toward the motherboard.

NezaH

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
oo m0nstor thats right a DVD burner is SATA duhh ;x is there anything else i should be worrying about?

1HD and 1SATA DVD burner takes up 2 sata drives , nething else?

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007

well..um, not all dvd burners are sata, i have 3 IDE ones...

bro, dont worry about anything, you'll be SO happy with this case. at least i am in all aspects :)

beurling

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
monst0r: would you recommend a particular power supply with this case for the best cable management? I've heard good things about the Corsaire 620W modular, but haven't seen an pics of it actually set up and tidied inside.
thanks.

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007

well..i'm using an Ultra X2 550w modular with it right now. ive heard great things about the corsair HX620, and the 520, what parts do will you need to power? ill recommend one once i see whats going in the case :p

hmm so whats better a SATA DVD burner or IDE?
it doesn't show any performance differences, but make sure your OS supports installing from a SATA optical drive..(xp sp2 or later..)

if i were to buy one today, i would go sata because of the cable managment.

beurling

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
dont worry about wattage really, the corsair psus will be great..it seems like you should go with the HX620 in your case..good luck