thingmabobby

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2008
I just put together a new system and while Windows is trying to install my system shuts down instantly during the process. I'm not really sure why it's doing this and it's driving me crazy. :(

Specs:

P4 3ghz (hyperthreading)
L4VXA2 Elitegroup motherboard
650W power supply
2GB ddr sdram
GeForce 7300GT 512mb
250GB western digital hard drive

I'm confident that my computer isn't overheating and I've even ran a desk fan into the case to be sure. I've swapped out the ram to see if it was that and the problem still persisted. All of my fans (front, cpu, and back) are running fine as well.

I don't understand why it's just shutting off with no warning. All I hear is what sounds like a switch and then the fans lose power and the computer shuts off. It always seems to happen around the time I pick the partition to install windows on (sometimes just before, sometimes on that screen, and sometimes just after).

cadmanx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
^ Yep, bad hard drive. I had that problem on a laptop a while ago, found out it had been banged around while it was on.

thingmabobby

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2008
If anything I would have picked a bad hard drive for one of my last guesses. I took it out of a system I was using before and wiped it clean for new use with this system. It's actually fairly new too, I think I bought it about 6 months ago.

thingmabobby

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2008
I think I've ruled out both heat and ram. For heat I have solid air flow through my case and have even ran a desk fan to make sure that it wasn't overheating. As for ram, I've swapped out both of my 1GB DIMMs to check and I've also just put in a 256mb one in to see. Not the RAM either.

I'm still trying to put some sense into it being the hard drive. Would a computer just automatically shut down if there was a bad sector or something on the hard drive? I mean I just partitioned it and formatted it to install Windows. Then in Windows setup it gets to a certain point and just shuts off. It's not always the same point, but it's always around the same point if that makes sense.

thingmabobby

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2008
Well, I just ruled out the hard drive. I put in a different HD, partitioned, and formatted it, then tried to install windows and the same thing happened. Same place too. I've also tried using a different windows CD, but it also does the same thing.

What's left? Power supply, motherboard, maybe re-seat the processor? I'm making guesses now. :(

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I just partitioned it and formatted it to install Windows
This may not be your issue but, generally you should bust any partitions off of your harddisk and present it to the Win install blank - ie. blank from the factory, unused, un-partitioned y'know?
Then use the Win install process to (partition if desired and) format.
I would double-check all BIOS settings. All kinds of different memory might not work, because the memory settings in BIOS might be wack, so it doesn't matter what you put in - it won't work if settings are bad.
In general, build your hardware and set it up properly in BIOS. Then determine system stability, and confirm setup.
When everything is proper and correct, only then reach for the WinXP CD...
Refer to your ECS mobo manual; get the PDF off the web if you don't have the book.
Re: 2GB DDR memory (probably DDR400)
Ensure adequate memory voltage - ie. ~2.6v and investigate timings in BIOS setup. Confirm nice loose timings and good voltage.
Checkout CPU setup; perhaps disable hyperthreading for now. Can easily re-enable later if OS installs okay.
Check out interior case wiring carefully, then if everything checks out and cabling good, PSU could be 'going south' on you, heheh... but it looks like a stout one (650W!) and fairly new...?
Re: WD harddisk
You can jumper Seagate and Maxtor single drives as 'master' - but not WD.
A WD needs no jumper (ie. 'single' drive) and, if you jumper it 'master' it will hang, looking for a slave.
This may not apply to your problem but many folks are unaware, so just being thorough. :)
In conclusion, crash like this may not be strictly HD related - it may be when the OS is enumerating the controller (ie. mobo chipset) that it becomes very dissatisfied and switches off.
I suspect your answers will be found in hardware configuration and BIOS setup, before you even get to the OS...
Regards

thingmabobby

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2008
Ruled out the power supply..changed to another one and it still happens.

Also have disabled hyperthreading and the problem persisted.

As for checking memory voltage and BIOS settings, I'm very new to that. I wouldn't have the first clue as to what to change and what to change it to.

My RAM is DDR 266 is that helps.

All of my cable connections are fine..and I wish it was that simple fix hehe. :)

Edit: Also yeah, my HD is Western Digital (so was the other one I tested it with to eliminate the HD), but it doesn't hang so I think you're right that it wouldn't be causing the problem.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
well, to me it sounds software related. It could be a conflict between the hardware and software installing with XP. I'm guessing that the OS "checks hardware configuration" when installing and probably is querying that very hardware throughout the install process.

Can you tell where in the install process the systems shuts down? What is happening just before?

It could be a mismatch of hadware like RAM/GPU/CPU for example and the installer is recognizing something critically wrong that the BIOS didn't/can't.

Are you using a virgin copy of XP? Or is it a WinLite/Slipstream install? If so, maybe you messed something up.

I don't know, just reaching myself. Did you try replacing the video card? Process of elimination now.

Have you went through the BIOS and set everything correct? Maybe you have an error in there somewhere. The whole SATA/RAID stuff threw me for a loop a couple times.

thingmabobby

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2008
Ok, setup loads all of the drivers and scans my system, then it asks me what partition to install to and starts copying files for installation.

Somewhere around the time where it asks me for the partition and during the install file copy process is when it shuts down.

My XP copy came with my computer that I was using before this. I don't use that one anymore so I'm using it for this system. I haven't replaced the video card, but I don't really think it's related. I could try it, but I think it may be something in the BIOS. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do with the BIOS to try and fix it.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
One other thought, I had a computer (kids) that would just shut down all by itself from time to time. When a game was being played it seemed to happen even more.

It turned out to be that the power connector on the card (6600GT I believe) was not secure and it was causing the video card to be under-powered. This caused the whole computer to just turn right off.

Is the aux power power connector plugged in?

thingmabobby

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2008
Yes it's plugged in nice and tight. I just went through all of my connections after putting in a different power supply as well to make sure nothing was loose and things were plugged in where they were supposed to be.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Another thought, I believe in XP you have to install SATA drivers during setup (F6) if you're using a SATA drive. Did you do this?

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
..and make sure you are NOT overclocking anything at all. No MB jumpers overclocked and nothing in the BIOS. Maybe reset BIOS to defaults.

I've had plenty of systems become unstable when overclocked and exhibit strange symptoms such as you are describing.

bornking

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
CPU overheat. Simple. The connection with the CPU and the HSF is not good, or the thermal paste is dry and cracked.

If it is not the PSU, Ram, HDD, etc. have been checked, and it starts to install XP but stops at nearly the same point each time...CPU overheat.

If it is not the CPU overheating (i.e. you try another CPU, or you put this CPU in another PC, or you clean the CPU and use new thermal paste) then it is your mobo.

But 99/100 says it is your CPU overheating.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I agree the desk fan will not help, but why would the install stop right at the same place each time during the install? That's the part that has me question the CPU heat theory. You would think it would happen at random times as it gets too hot.

But reseating is certainly worth a try, you're running out of other ideas!

Winly

Distinguished
i think the problem may be your CPU (P4). be sure that the headsink is properly installed and the CPU has the correct amount of thermal paste, if not it will overhead and it will turn off the pc.

Winly

Distinguished
another thing, during the install the computer shut down at the same place right?? so i think is a good idea to try another CD, maybe that will help

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Is it an original XP CD or a copy? I think you tried 2 different CDs so I'm guessing they are burned copies.

I have had CD drives have trouble with certain media, they start to read the disc and then just stop. *maybe* your CD drive is not reading the discs properly, try another disc brand or CD drive.

And don't you love building computers? You could troubleshoot like this for a few days trying 101 things until you finally find the right problem. really, anything mentioned so far could possibly have been the problem.

And what really really sucks is when you have two problems at once! It makes it next to impossible to find the issue since you replace one item and the problem isn't fixed, and it never is because it's really two things at once! oh the humanity...