Pentium D the best my mobo will support!

I know it's "old" technology, but I'm looking for a little advice on the Pentium D CPUs.
I have an ASUS P5LD2 deluxe motherboard currently running a Celeron D cpu. The "best" processors this mobo supports are the Pentium D 8XX and 9XX series.
Some of these processors are really cheap now; I can't afford a newer motherboard AND the newest CPU right now.
Any thoughts as to the best model? 9X0 vs 9X5s? (9X5 models: no Virtualization Technology) revisions? Overclockability w/ Asus software?
20 answers Last reply
More about pentium mobo support
  1. Do not buy a Pentium D. Ever.

Just stick with your old pc for a bit, then build a brand new one when you have enough money.
  2. No PentiumD is worth the money. You'd be better off to get a new motherboard and the lowest end Core2Duo, because it would still outperform any PentiumD you can buy.
  3. Evilonigiri said:
    Do not buy a Pentium D. Ever.

Just stick with your old pc for a bit, then build a brand new one when you have enough money.

It's still a nice performance boast over the OP's celeron CPU. Not everyone can afford a new Motherboard and possibly a new windows license if it's an OEM edition.
  4. What is this big thing against Pentium D chips? Sure they run a bit hot and are quite power hungry, but they're still more than adequete for all of today's games. Infact if you overclock one of the D9** series you'll have a really quite fast gaming computer.
  5. Right, the celeron is worse than the Pentium D.

However with the Core2duo and all, the Pentium D is simply not worth it. The E2160 overclocked, costing $85 can destroy the whole line of Pentium Ds, overclocked or not.

The argument is that you can overclock the Pentium D. The only problem is that you'll need a good after-market cooler since the Pentium Ds are really hot which would costs $50. If you get a E2160, costing $85, you can overclock to 3.2Ghz on the included stock cooling.

Save that $100+ and wait till you have enough to build a good solid $500 pc.
  6. Erm, I'm on 3.8ghz with a Pentium D920 I salvaged from a Dell using a 10 dollar cooler.
  7. But a cheap Pentium D is a quick fix - and will give you a big boost over a Celery.

Get an aftermarket cooler for it though.

Not everyone has a heap of cash ...

http://syndication.intel.com/DistributeModule.aspx?a=55&m=171&l=1&ppc_cid=GF1_0055017101

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/05/the_65_nm_pentium_d_900s_coming_out_party/

Now if someone could give him a bit of advice on which one's are still in stock and perhaps the best value ... then we would be helping him out ... ??

The 9 series D's are just a bit slower than an X2 and chew a bit more power - there is nothing wrong with either for a family PC and they are ok for gaming.

Just not as powerful as the core2 line.
  8. Evilonigiri said:

The argument is that you can overclock the Pentium D. The only problem is that you'll need a good after-market cooler since the Pentium Ds are really hot which would costs $50. If you get a E2160, costing $85, you can overclock to 3.2Ghz on the included stock cooling.

FALSE!

I got mine to Overclock to 3.8 GHZ ON STOCK (was a pentium D 805 2.66GHZ)! I only kept it at 3.4 GHZ though. It may be hot but a stock cooler is more than enough.

Get the cheapest Pentium D you can find, Overclock it to 3.8 GHZ and you have something that is probably equal to a E2140 oc'ed to 2.4 GHZ.

I owned one so i know what im talking about, The pentium D isnt all that bad (I sure wish i had mine right now, would blow away this crappy AMD 2300 BE).
  9. I've got one if you want it i dont want it Pentium D 925 3.00GHZ
  10. You realize of course, E2140s get far beyond 2.4 GHz....
  11. Right it can hit 3.2Ghz on stock, which translate to probably nearly 5GHz Pentium D.
  12. Are we not talking about a quick fix fellas!!
    A D805 then?

There is a Toms article here that may be of use to you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/

Hope this helps.

Hey Best of Media dudes ... do I get a prize or something for linking another article or what ??
  13. Well, it's ultimately his choice however I still firmly believe that buying one is a poor idea.
  14. bdan said:
    I know it's "old" technology, but I'm looking for a little advice on the Pentium D CPUs.
    I have an ASUS P5LD2 deluxe motherboard currently running a Celeron D cpu. The "best" processors this mobo supports are the Pentium D 8XX and 9XX series.
    Some of these processors are really cheap now; I can't afford a newer motherboard AND the newest CPU right now.
    Any thoughts as to the best model? 9X0 vs 9X5s? (9X5 models: no Virtualization Technology) revisions? Overclockability w/ Asus software?

Check the pcb revision, it might support higher with a bios flash:

LGA775 socket for Intel® Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Duo / Pentium® Extreme / Pentium® D / Pentium® 4 / Celeron® D Processors
    Intel EM64T / EIST / Hyper-Threading Technology
    New power design supports Intel next generation 04B/04A & 05B/05A CPU

*Only PCB R2.0(or higher) support Intel® Core™2 processor

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=P5LD2

Since you didn't mention the PCB revision, I'd thought I'd recommend it, just in case you have a board that does support a C2D "Pentium".

If you don't have the newest PCB revision, then Newegg has these Pentium D's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010340343+50001157+1050716915&name=Pentium+D

Unless you give Pricewatch vendors, or Ebay a try, there aren't that many Pentium D processors available. You might be able to find a pulled processor (ie used) Pentium D for a better price than the boxed CPU's at Newegg.

In your situation, you have DDR2, so all you might need is a new motherboard and a new CPU (what's the speed of your DDR2?). Note that even a Pentium D 935 falls short of the cheaper Intel and AMD dual cores on Tom's CPU charts.

A friend gave me an ASUS P5RD1 board with a Pentium 4 630, and I considered getting a Pentium D for it just to have a backup PC in the bedroom (our 3 Athon X2's are in the living room). Well, it didn't even beat my wife's Athlon X2 3800+, let alone the X2 4600+'s that my son and I have.

So, my advice is really consider putting the $99 into a new CPU with a new motherboard. Maybe you'll have to spend $150 instead, but it will be worth it in the long run.
  15. i've got the same mobo
    and if you have to believe asus you can use an E4600 c2d, but i don't recommand it you, because i tried it with an e4300 and it didn't work (flashed it as well) now my boot up is slower because of the newer cpu bios on an old cpu.
    i wanted to upgrade as well, but don't do it! wast of money. if you search you can find a new mobo, ram (if you have 533mhz you are scruwed as me) and a new cpu for less than 300 usd.
  16. I wouldn't get one either.

My buddy had an 820.... POS. I considered putting an 805 system together, but what's the point? He had the 820 around 3.2ghz and it was unimpressive, it was still slow as hell, slower than a 2.6ghz AMD X2.

I wouldn't get a PD, I would save a little money and fix the system properly. Getting a PD is a waste, unless you can get it for close to nothing.

Of course, all sarcastic comments aside, it will be better than your celery. But, after playing with the D805, I have nothing good to say. I think you would be best served to not waste that cash on a PD, and save a couple hundred more for a new setup.
  17. hey dude

any dualcore amd set is better than that celeron, than even that pD

look at the charts, you'll see!

i'm saving my 1000 euro untill battlefield 3 comes out, hen i know what to get!

so, do you NEED it for one reason? else don't do it!
  18. If I were you I'd grab a Pentium E2140 and Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L board. All up that should set you back ~$175. You can use all your existing stuff, and you'll end up with a machine that blows away any Pentium D setup. You should be able to overclock that CPU to ~3GHz with the included Intel fan.
  19. even better!
  20. Well for legacy and for fun I'm getting a new motherboard for my pentium 640 once it's up and running I'll post my results
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Motherboards Product