QX6700 Unable to OC past 3.0GHz

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Hi All,

I am trying to overclock my QX6700, but am unable to get it to go past 3.0GHz. Every time I try and overclock past 3.0Ghz the system just hangs and I have to reset the bios. Its my understanding that I should be hitting 3.0GHz easily by only upping the FS bus. Am I missing something here or am I just an unlucky owner of a chip that does not like to overclock?

Any suggestions you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.
Please see my system specs below...

CPU: QX6700
CPU Cooling: Zalman CNPS9700
Motherboard: DFI 680i LT
RAM: 2 x 4gigs Muskin 4-4-4-12 800MHz PC2 6400 (dual channel)
Video: 2x EVGA 8800GT (SLI)
Power Supply: Rosewill 850W
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I have a QX6700 but I use an intel 975xbx2 mb. I am currently at 340 for the FSB which gives me 3.4G. I think I have upped the cpu voltage a little, but normally that is not always required to reach 3-3.4 or so.

You should be able to hit 3.0 or 3.2 easily without any voltage tweaks.

I have overclocked my system up to 3.8G and increased the FSB to 1600 but it was generating so much heat I backed it down.

If your memory settings are not correct, you could be overclocking your RAM which would cause it to fail. Check that first. Im thinking it should be set to a 1:1 ratio. Some systems default the RAM ratio to 4:5 or 2:3 (this speeds up memory at default clock speeds, but overclocks your RAM in a hurry)

Other than that you should make sure your voltages are on the money. Some BIOS's will give you a measurement. You may have to measure your power supply outputs to verify. Rosewill isnt known for being the best quality out there.

Make sure you have good contact with your CPU cooler. You will start generating some good heat at 3.0G.

Other than that more detail on how it is failing.

Good luck

pinaplex

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2007
runh your cpu at stock speeds to see what your temps are. if you're running hot at stock speed, then it might be a problem you can solve by reseating the heatsink on the cpu.

also, your PSU isn't of the greatest quality, it could very will be the problem. try taking out one of the 8800GTs and see if that helps the overclock.

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

I will double check my memory configuration as soon as I get home from work. As for the power supply, I'm not familiar with testing PSU outputs. What method do you recommend for measuring it?

I don't think this is a heat issue because the computer never even boots up. I turn it on and the screen just stays black.

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Well...I took out one of my 8800GTs, and checked memory setting then tried to overclocking to 3.0Ghz again, but I still get the same result. It seems no mater what I try it just can't break the 3.0GHz barrier (so frustrating). I posted screenshots of my bios configuration below. Maybe someone can spot something wrong or suggest something else. Thanks again.

cpufeaturesre3.jpg

fsbmp4.jpg

memorytimingxk2.jpg

voltageji3.jpg

briandr

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
i have a similar problem, i have a q6700 on an asus p5b and i also cannot get past the 3.0ghz barrier. i beleive its because of the poor voltage controll on my motherboard. i wouldnt think a 680i would have that kind of problem though.

from looking at your bios settings it looks like you have your memory clock mode set to linked so your memory speed increases as you increase your fsb, so it may be your memory is what is unstable. try setting the memory to unlinked and just overclock the processor.

also you will probably need to increase you voltage for the processor manualy when trying to go over 3ghz.

teknic111

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007

I just tried this and it still hangs before booting.

I have tried all of these things also and still get the same result. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Is it the FSB setting, or the speed of the CPU? You can always try a 333 x 8 for 2.66 and use the same FSB to make sure its causing the problems.

680i chipset boards inherently dislike to allow a good over clock by a q6x00 series. That's common knowledge, and the people that get more are lucky! So it may take some work to find out!

Run Core Temp and list your Processors' VID!

--Lupi

ferencster

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
From the screenshots i noticed that your 800 mhz ram is running oced to 900 mhz. I suspect that will be the problem. I have kingmax value rams 800 mhz and the can be oced up to 820 mhz with 2.0 volt, higher than that i have to reset bios settings.

SK711G

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
... you spend all that money on a system and get a DFI 680i LT... do you know how old this board is?
Really, why would you do this,
Anyways mod your settings slowly, and do each change one at a time, that way you know what part you did wrong.
Like others have said make sure your at 1:1 memory ratio.
Try something really easy 8x multiplier@400FSB, that =3.2Ghz, then work from there.

Ull be ok just go slow and watch your temps.

thx
SKG