EdzBourne

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
When will the new AMD Chipsets with SB700 come out..??

I'm planning to buy a Phenom coz I want the fact that you can just drop-in 45nm Phenom or AM3 Phenom to an AM2+ mobo...

I know Intel is the best right now but I'm just sick & tired of Intel's procy & mobo combination for upgrade...They're just not good in platfrom upgradeability, when I bought my Pentium 4 530 with Intel 915D mobo, I have to buy a new MSI 945G mobo to upgrade to Pentium D...unlike those owners of AMD's socket 939, they just drop-in the X2...When Core 2 Duo came out, I have to buy another Gigabyte 965 mobo to pair with my C2D coz the MSI 945G is not compatible with...I know there are 945 mobos w/c are compatible with C2D right now but they are the REVISION ones..the 1st revision is not gonna run C2D...

But Phenom is compatible with AM2 mobos, and AM2+ mobos is compatible with AM3 procy...not to mention the Octal-core Phenom is also gonna run on AM2+ mobos...

thefumigator

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2005
First of all you have to consider that maybe an Intel Quad can be the ultimate solution and maybe going the AMD path it could take you 2 upgrades steps to reach similar intel quad performance. Depends on your task.

I would wait first to B3, and then for AM3 to come out, so we can make sure there's a compatibility between the sockets (not all AM2 mobos are phenom-ready mind you). I agree that AMD was more considered when thinking in the upgrade path, except that it messed with 754 and then 939 and then again AM2, which in my opinion was a mistake. I mean, its cool to keep the mem controller on-die but there was no effort to make hybrid stuff like:

"socket 754 processors will fit on 939, and both 754/939 will fit in some AM2 mobos that should sport DDR1 slots."

"Also AM2 CPUs will have both DDR1 and DDR2 controllers ondie and will fit on old 939 mobos with just a bios update."

No, we haven't seen such an effort lately until these days, where we find AMD more upgrade-friendly with the AM2/AM2+ compatibility, despite the lack of phenom-compatible AM2 mobos, at least they tried.

BTW I prefer myself to wait the release that will show the truth with my own eyes.

EdzBourne

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
"I agree that AMD was more considered when thinking in the upgrade path, except that it messed with 754 and then 939 and then again AM2, which in my opinion was a mistake. I mean, its cool to keep the mem controller on-die but there was no effort to make hybrid stuff like:"

I know they messed up there, but its in the past...much like intel messed up in their Netburst but its in the past..One thing Intel did not offer when they lauch their Core 2 is upgradeability through Bios update only...coz the 1st revision of 945 chipsets are until Pentium D only...sure there new revisions now but what happened when you bought the revision 1 mobo in the Pentium D days..it means you have to buy another mobo for core 2 & core quad...another mobo again for nehalem...

But if they can have good upgradeability in the new socket of nehalem w/c you can put a nehalem quad & octal on d same bord then thats an improvement...

But basing on the roadmaps, AMD is making sure of the upgrade drop-in...its the mobo manufacturers that are not releasing bios update support....to sell more spiders maybe..

markso125

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008

I am sorry but you did not read he asked for a sb700 those motherboards all use the sb600 chipset but they do use the 700 series on the northbridge. The southbridge 700 ads more usb ports and increases the efficency of crossfire.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

I thought AMD's Northbridge is the only chip providing Xfire support?

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
@OP: I completely agree with thefumigator. While you can upgrade to 45nm K10s and AM3 later on based on the same motherboard, with Intel's solution it might all perform higher than those.

Don't expect much out of 45nm K10s. Initial 45nm K10s will be exactly like the first 65nm X2s, slower with slightly reduced thermals (or even on par thermals)

As for AM3, which is still about 2~3 years out, is still a mystery. Also I suspect it'll be the same for AM3 support to be like Spider's support this time (Motherboard manufacturers refuse to offer BIOS support)

At this point of time, I would highly recommend an Intel quad setup over AMD's, because its a lot more predictable. You can purchase a Kentsfield Q6600 (roughly 250~270USD), and a P35 board. Later on when Yorkfield's prices drop (Q9xxx), you can then purchase them for a drop in upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS