Sign in with
Your question

Is this stuff Vista 64 bit compatible?

Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2008 3:58:39 PM

So here's the system I think I am going to build. I was really impressed with these forums so I figured I'd ask people that know more about this stuff than I do any tips. Let me say this is my first true build. I have upgraded before but never build a PC from start to finish. I am a college student so I'm trying to be as affordable as I can. I recently sold my Xbox 360 after it died on me multiple times. I just didn't like waiting a month+ to get my system back when most AAA titles were on the PC or will be soon anyways. I know everything integrates into this system well but my main concern is Vista 64 bit. I don't want to buy the 32 bit and upgrade later so my main concern is the stuff on my wishlist compatible with Vista 64 bit. Here is my wishlist at TigerDirect.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/wishlist/wishlist.asp?WishId=7CE56728-7BD3-41F4-B6C1-23B92FD5C167&Desc=New%20PC

Thank you everyone in advanced for your answers.
January 1, 2008 5:05:46 PM

You will probably have issues with the wireless card.
January 1, 2008 5:10:13 PM

Hmm... What would you recommend?
Related resources
January 1, 2008 5:24:15 PM

This is the wireless card that you need for Vista 64-bit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

When you get it, do not run setup. Go through the Vista's Found New Hardware setup, locate the vista 64-bit driver and install.

Do not run the Dlink's setup program. If you do, it will install but you will get no network connection.
January 1, 2008 5:40:51 PM

Hi monkeyflin gpoo:
I would recommend buying the full retail version of Vista.....in particular Vista Ultimate. The reason I suggest this is that the full retail version offers support from Microsoft, allows any kind of modification of your hardware....even removing it and using on another pc. Also, it comes with both the 32 & 64-bit DVD and you can install either and later switch to the other without cost. Another nice feature of Ultimate is the built-in software to make a complete image of your system drive and save it to another hard drive in case of drive failure. You can also copy the image to dvds or a usb drive. I have the ulitimate version and started with the 32 bit and later switched to 64 bit only to find out my MSN software wouldn't work and went back to 32 bit. I have since re-installed 64-bit and every re-install activated without any problem. Ultimate also offers other features not included in other versions. NewEgg is a little high priced on the Ultimate Full Retail version......I bought mine for $60 less at the following vendor:
>http://www.viosoftware.com/Windows+Vista+Ultimate+PG/Wi...
+Vista+Ultimate.html?osCsid=
6f026aa1dc67658e051d8190de597430<
Changing hardware with OEM versions can result in frequently needing to re-activate the O.S. and some changes may result in the inability to re-use the OEM version. Usually they will allow a hard drive change but a new motherboard or multiple hardware changes at the same time may invalidate your OEM O.S. At your age you are likely to want to make improvements as technology advances and a retail version will always allow you to do that. You may also find the following Vista newsgroup helpfull when/if you run into difficulties:
>http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups...
default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.vista.general&lang=en&cr
=US&r=2a072220-0dc1-4760-b70b-a63e791bbc79<

Good luck with your build.....it looks like a great pc.

newnerd

January 1, 2008 5:49:49 PM

The only thing that concerns me is the CPU cooler, don't really know what to suggest maybe an Artic freezer 7 or coolermaster hyper TX2
January 1, 2008 5:51:21 PM

You might consider an 8800GT video card......I believe I've read some articles that say it's almost as good as the GTS and consumes less power, produces less heat? I think it uses newer technology than the card you're thinking about.
It's also considerably less expensive!
January 1, 2008 7:16:52 PM

Your wish list has Vista Home Premium 32 bit OEM. I'm pretty sure you ment to select 64bit OS. You should get the retail version as newnerd suggested.
January 1, 2008 7:49:46 PM

I'll put in my vote as well for Vista 64. the 32 bit version is limiting and the only legitimate reason for it is so that people with older computers that can't run a 64 bit OS can have DX10. I also concur with getting the retail version rather than an OEM version.
January 1, 2008 9:04:38 PM

I'm building my computer system as well. What difference does it make if its 64 vs. 32. Are'n't there more 32bit supported drivers? and what's the difference between the retail vs. OEM? Woudln't it be better to save the money for something else?
January 1, 2008 9:27:40 PM

jsmile25 said:
I'm building my computer system as well. What difference does it make if its 64 vs. 32. Are'n't there more 32bit supported drivers? and what's the difference between the retail vs. OEM? Woudln't it be better to save the money for something else?

A 64 bit OS is faster to start with, all other things being equal, as it moves information in 64 bit blocks while a 32 bit OS moves information in 32 bit blocks. A 32 bit OS will only recognize a maximum of 4 gig of memory, which decreases to about 3 gig of ram, the rest being used by the video card(s) and other components on the system. A 64 bit OS can recognize and use far more, which is why the new motherboards typically support up to 8 gig of ram, though some support up to 16 gig of ram. Drivers used to be a problem, even though XP64 Pro had been out for a few years, but with the advent of Vista almost all hardware companies have provided 64 bit drivers so there is no real problem now.

With an OEM copy of the OS, you are allowed a license for a single computer. Changing the motherboard can be interpreted as putting the OS on another computer. This is explained in a Microsoft bulletin:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

Buying a retail copy of the OS allows for easier upgrades and maintainance, and usually a few other features that are not included with an OEM copy.
January 1, 2008 10:05:42 PM

" and usually a few other features that are not included with an OEM copy."

Like what? I have both an OEM copy of Vista, and a full retail version. To my knowledge, I can't find 1 single thing added to the retail version. Please inform me what exactly it is you're refering to.

Btw. I've had zero issues changing motherboards with my OEM version.

January 1, 2008 11:00:01 PM

chicagosoftplan said:
" and usually a few other features that are not included with an OEM copy."

Like what? I have both an OEM copy of Vista, and a full retail version. To my knowledge, I can't find 1 single thing added to the retail version. Please inform me what exactly it is you're refering to.

Btw. I've had zero issues changing motherboards with my OEM version.

You may not have had problems changing motherboards, but that is listed by Microsoft as a problem area. I'm only relating what is known and I gave a link to the information. If you had no problem, then you've been fortunate.

The most common difference that may or may not be present between OEM and retail is the ability to partition the hard disc from within Windows itself. Retail versions may also allow a single copy to be used on both a desktop and a laptop machine, while OEM limits itself to one machine only. Since Vista has several different versions to start with, I'm not sure of what all teh differences might be.
January 2, 2008 12:02:40 AM

That link has nothing to do with Vista.
January 2, 2008 12:08:23 AM

It is one that Microsoft refered me to a couple months ago when I had a motherboard problem while using Vista. Microsoft said the issue concerning OEM vs Retail was the same for all their operating systems. But I have no axe to grind, nothing to profit, so it really doesn't matter to me. I simply relate what I've been told.
January 2, 2008 12:43:24 AM

you could go with a dvd burner instead of a dvd reader cdwriter combo drive for around 5 bucks more.
January 2, 2008 1:53:41 AM

The disks for most Vista O/S are really the same (either 64bit or 32bit) It's the license key that makes the o/s an OEM version or retail version and the difference between premium and ultimate. I recently installed Vista Ultimate OEM and the setup asks which version you want to install, and you can select any version and not put a key in to get a trial version. It's only when you go to activate it you have to provide the key that you have to make sure your have the right version or it won't work.
It's the key not the disk that makes vista the version it is. :) 
January 2, 2008 2:03:43 AM

The upgrade disk does the same. Try and do a clean install and use the key and it won't work but if you use a OEM key it works. Or if you use no key it lets you install it and upgrade it self over the top of itself.
Go figure!
January 2, 2008 2:18:54 AM

Get Xp instead. Games runs faster on xp, on vista you will loose about 10 to 12% performance, thats about 12 - 15 frames per second. Anyways, there only like 3 DX 10 titles. Wait for Windows Vienna 2009.Will take about a year for developers to create games DX 10 optimize, by then Windows Vienna will be out.
January 2, 2008 6:17:18 AM

martyjs said:
The disks for most Vista O/S are really the same (either 64bit or 32bit) It's the license key that makes the o/s an OEM version or retail version and the difference between premium and ultimate. I recently installed Vista Ultimate OEM and the setup asks which version you want to install, and you can select any version and not put a key in to get a trial version. It's only when you go to activate it you have to provide the key that you have to make sure your have the right version or it won't work.

Well, I guess I learn something new. Makes me wonder about the guy that I talked to from Microsoft.
January 2, 2008 6:41:57 AM

No. Find a Motherboard that has "Certified for Windows Vista" stamped on the box.
January 2, 2008 6:50:58 AM

martyjs said:

Are you saying that the OEM disks for Vista include both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the software?
I thought only the Retail was that way..
January 2, 2008 7:13:56 AM

happy_fanboy said:
Are you saying that the OEM disks for Vista include both the 32 and 64 bit versions of the software?

I can vouch for the fact that there are 32 and 64 bit version's of the OEM disks (they contain one or the other not both) at least this is true at Dell.... I really can not speak for say HP or eMachines but Dell has at least 2 versions of Vista.

More on the topic if I was building or buying right now I would not go with XP the limitation on RAM is going to start hurting real soon you can get 4GB's of DD2 800 for less then 100$ right now on 2 sticks (so 4 sticks gets you 8GB's) yeah having 64 bits and oodles of RAM just makes the whole user experience better in the same way moving to 2 cores helped over having just one.

About the lost performance VS XP I would say that is probably a driver issue and that given some time ATI and Nvidia should be able to ease the pain a bit in that area.
January 2, 2008 8:50:48 PM

Quote:

Sorry I don't think so, I think it;s all versions on a 32bit disk or all versions on a 64bit disk. If you read the fine print eg . on the 32bit disks it'll say if you wish to have the 64bit disk you have to contact Microsoft and pay postage and they will send you the 64bit disk. (but i could be wrong)

I'm talking about the standard OEM disks and the Retail Update Vista home Premium educational disk.

The disk includes Vista Basic, Home premium, business and Ultimate on the same disk.
January 2, 2008 9:09:13 PM

This is written on the Windows Vista Upgrade box
Quote:
includes 32-bit DVD and information on obtaining 32-bit CDs or a 64-bit DVD, additional fees may apply

Full retail might be different but I'm not sure.
January 20, 2008 3:44:01 PM

All vista retail versions include both the 32 and 64 bit version of the software, you may install either version.

All vista oem versions include either one or the other, you must select to buy either 32 or 64 bit.

Upgrades i have no idea.
January 20, 2008 5:18:55 PM

nothing is compatible with windows shista.
!