Radeon 3870 with unlike monitors problem

Chrisbe

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
I just replaced my Radeon X1900 and my 17 inch 4x3 monitor with a Radeon 3870 and a 24 inch widescreen. The 24 inch is my main monitor. I also have this card connected to my HDTV. I don't use the HDTV setup very often but sometimes it is nice to put the PC on the TV. With the 1900 I created profiles that I would use to switch setups by using hotkeys. I set up the same with the 3870. Keep in mind that each monitor needs a different set up (resolution). In my profiles I have settings for just the 24 inch, for just the HDTV, with both (using a resolution that works for the HDTV and so so for the PC), for extended, etc.

What is happening is every time I turn on the TV (to watch TV, not to use as a monitor) my PC recognizes this and enables the second monitor (which of course is disabled when just using the main LCD). The main issue is that I am not able to keep my settings for the 24 inch once the second monitor is enabled - it turns from a 16x10 to a 16x9 (1920x1200 to 1920x1080). This is annoying and I do not know how to set up the catalyst manager to not enable the second monitor when the TV is turned on or off. Any ideas? Everytime I turn on the TV this happens

There is a setting in the Catalyst Manager for manually detecting monitors but this is the default and it is not helping.

Wolfshadw

Titan
In Catalyst Control Center, under Displays Manager, you should have the option of right-clicking the secondary display (your HDTV) and disabling it. That *should* prevent your PC from displaying to it at all. Just re-enable when you want to view the PC on the HDTV.

As for the resolution issue, what do you have set for resolution under Windows Display Properties (Control Panel --> Display --> Settings) for the second monitor?

-Wolf queries

Chrisbe

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007

Trust me :) I have disabled it. I have profiles set up for various configurations. Many with one or the other monitor disabled. My main set up has the TV disabled. Once I turn on the TV it get enabled and this throws my resolution from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080. this is annoying, plus the system takes a few seconds to adjust.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I'm not at home, so I can't check (have a Benq MP610 hooked up as a secondary monitor to my AIW X1800XL). I could have sworn that with the second monitor disabled in CCC, the MP610 would continually scroll through it's inputs looking for a signal.

Edit:

Well, I just got home and tested it out. If I disable Monitor 2 in Catalyst Control Center, the secondary monitor (MP610) loses signal and starts scrolling through it's various inputs looking for one.

If I were to guess, I'd say it's a bug with the new chipset and/or the drivers. Disabling the second monitor in CCC *should* prevent the PC from recognizing it and enabling it. If you want, post (in detail) a profile you have set up. I'll try and duplicate it on my rig and we can compare notes.

Edit 2:

Some more testing. I grabbed a composite video cable and plugged it from the cable box to another input on the MP610. Went into CCC and disabled the secondary monitor. Turned on the secondary monitor and watched it scroll through until it found the Composite TV signal. I have to admit, it did pause for longer than normal, searching for a PC signal, but eventually scrolled back to the composite signal.

-Wolf sends