Sign in with
Your question

Need helping choosing a graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 9, 2008 4:06:56 PM

I'm trying to find either a Nvidia Geforce 8800 (gt, gts, gtx) running on the new G92, but when I try to find one, nothing comes up with pci-e x16, only something called pci-e 2.0. What is the 2.0? My motherboard utilitizes a pci-e x16 slot. I've been building my own computers for the last 8 years, usually without a hitch. I just recently purchased everything but the video card for my most recent project. I usually wait till last for the video card, whereas they change so frequently. I would like an nvidia 8800 card that will allow me to run everything available maxxed out settings, and will still be decent even 3 years from now. My budget is really not much more then $350. Thank you for your time.
January 9, 2008 4:47:43 PM

PCI-E 2.0 is the latest standard for PCI-E .Basicly it offers more bandwith and is backwards compaitable with your PCI-E slot. If your budget is $350 I would try and find a 8800GT for around $250. And use the rest for cooling/games whatever. Believe it or not I was able to pick my 8800GT up at BB for $237 during the holidays. The 8800GTS 512 is not worth the extra $$$ over the 88GT. And again with the new 9800series, for the price right now, isn't justified for what real gains you will get, I'd say the 88GT is the sweet spot right now. Not only that they overclock well, my BFG went from 600/1800 to 700/2000. I plan on using this for 3 years as well.
January 9, 2008 5:10:04 PM

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that my new mobo will support this new style card. I will definitely take your advice and grab the 8800gt, nice OC btw. I plan to OC as well. With the extra cash I'll save, I'll look for cooling for the vid card. Thanks again!
Related resources
January 9, 2008 5:38:58 PM

yeah. get the 8800GT. it is wroth ur penny
January 9, 2008 9:20:03 PM

berzerkfrenzy said:
Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that my new mobo will support this new style card. I will definitely take your advice and grab the 8800gt, nice OC btw. I plan to OC as well. With the extra cash I'll save, I'll look for cooling for the vid card. Thanks again!

LoL since you left off on that note I have to let you know about a nice VGA cooling solution thats nice and cheap but works awsome. If you do decide to get the extra cooling(probably mandatory if you plan to OC) I would go grab the Accelero S2 and the turbo module fans with it at the Egg. They can be found here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

You can opt to get the S1 for a little more money, but with the S2 I've recorded temps with rivatuner under heavy gaming and ATITool artifact scan(brutal) It never went above 50C. With the stock speed and heatsink I would idle at 60C! Then when the load was on it jumped to +80C. Not only that when your done you have something that looks as good as it works. I'll show you a picture of mine :

January 19, 2008 7:42:07 PM

Thanks for the cooling tips. I'll definitely keep the S2 in mind :) 
January 19, 2008 7:55:14 PM

Does the S1 work with the 8800GTS? I hope so because I decided to go all out with my budget for the vidcard. One last thing, whats this I keep hearing about he Ageia physx card? Does this work in conjunction with a vidcard or is this a replacement for a vidcard? Not to sound like a nub but just wasn't sure. Thanks!!
January 19, 2008 7:59:12 PM

Don't worry about the physx card... it helps to correctly simulate real physics in a game, but most games don't use it...
a b Î Nvidia
a c 236 U Graphics card
January 19, 2008 8:31:31 PM

Why spend extra money on a cooler for the 8800GT? Why not spend just a bit more for the 8800GTS-512-G92 which is not only a bit faster, but comes with a very good cooler that expels the vga heat directly out the back of the case instead of recirculating it and heating up the cpu.
January 19, 2008 9:05:54 PM

^ I was thinking the same thing......
!