Does Overclocking kill your CPU FASTER?

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
there is always 2 side to a story. i would say yes and no. even you just run it on stock you are killing it. and if you got a bad chip then it would ide quicker then a OCed CPU. run a CPU in OC form up to a certain point it wont cause too much damge to it. as i have never heard of a CPU die because of overclocking. by the time the CPU die in say like 3 years you will be upgraded before or by then.

see the point?

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
So, what if you overclock your cpu, but do not overvolt it?
Also, what if you overvolt the cpu, but it is within the cpu's limits? (i.e. e6xx series range from 1.2-1.5v max)

Qwakrz

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2004
Yes, overclocking does reduce the life of the processor

Saying that however, it could reduce it from 50 years down to 25 years or 50 minutes to 25 minutes, you just never know.

Generally, if you only do moderate overclocks then you should never have any problems with the life of your CPU.

zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
It will more rapidly degrade the circuitry and thus raise the chance of errors - even fatal errors. Overvolting and higher heat both contribute to the loss of life-expectancy of your chips. This doesn't mean that your CPU WILL die in a year or anything, it just decreases its mean time to failure. If you only do a mild overclock, you're not likely to see any problems before the CPU is essentially obsolete (as mentioned by other posters).

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That is a mild OC for the Q6600 with a good aftermarket cooler. With the stock HS it will run a little warm, but it shouldn't be too bad if you aren't running it hard a lot. I'm not sure about the GA-EP series of mobos, but you may even be able to lower your Vcore. Be sure that your stock 775 HS is properly mounted, the pins are hard to get seated properly, and stay that way. You really should get an aftermarket HS with a backing plate, in my opinion.

You really want to stay away from the high temps, that is what will kill your CPU. You can run Core Temp or Real Temp to keep an eye on the temps. Real Temp will show 5C cooler than Core Temp. The guy involved with Real Temp has used a infrared temp probe and believes that the Tjunction max is 5C lower. These programs can be made to show the same temps by adjusting the offset in either. To be safe from any shortening of the lifespan I would stay below 70C in Core Temp.

If the Idle temps are high then check the junk push pin mounts, they probably aren't seated properly. After you determine that the idle temps look good, then run Prime95 with small FFTs for 10-15 minutes, keeping a close eye on the core temps. If they go above 70-73C then get an aftermarket HS or possibly better cooling in your case.

A G0 Q6600 should run at 3.0 GHz at default voltage.

My experience:
Q6600, GA-EP35-DS3P, TRUE/S-Flex fan, Antec 900 case.
G0 Q6600 - VID - 1.2625 volts. Runs at 3.0 GHz with stock voltage. Needs 1.30 volts to run at 3.3 GHz. Needs 1.45 volts (droops to 1.40 volts) to run at 3.6 GHz.

Ambient air temp is about 25 C. At 3.6 GHz, using CoreTemp, idle temp is around 30 - 35 C, Prime95 load is 60 - 65 C.

Last year, I discarded a P233MMX system that had been OC'd to 333 MHz for the past 8 years. Too old to give away (even here) and I finally decided that I really didn't need a DOS/Win98 box.

With reasonable judgement and care, the system will become obsolete before the CPU and the rest of the system prematurely fails because of OC'ing.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
if you only OC and FSB and not raise the vcore the damage will not be there or as much .

for a mild OC its best to go with the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro at a very great value price level and performance and noise. this cooler is capable of 3.2Ghz. so your ai of 3Ghz will cool it adaquetly.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Too much heat will also increase electromigration, but high voltage is definitely the big problem.

jsc, congratulations on that chip, very nice VID.

atomyc

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
i have a computer that is 8/9 yrs old with athlon 900MHz processor (ancient!!)
and its still running fine with only a stock cooler with no ocing. i think the heatsink is about to give out tho. i am building a new comp when i get my parts in a couple of days. good bye laggy, hello blazing speed!!

dragoncyber

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Just as a quick note I recently watched a show on the the Discovery Channel which explained how processors are made. The show stated that the average microprocessor is built to operate worry free 24 hours a day 7 days a week for 10 standard years, or 3650 days. This is of course within specified limits.

Each microprocessor is tested at much higher temperatures than is quoted as it's maximum, to test for stability and quality assurance. Those that do not pass are reverted to lower model numbers and speeds and tested again (ie> this is where we get some processors able to run at certain frequencies with certain voltages that are higher than others of the same model.) An example would be the differences in VID ratings per different Q6600's.

Also note that increased heat, and extreme usage Like (running prime 95 and stressing all cores to 100% for 12 hours solid, can significantly shorten the life span of such an overclocked processor. If you are overvolting your processor you are pushing more power into it than it was designed for.

Thus at some point and time there must be a failing point. I however have overclocked every processor I have ever owned, and have never fried one or seen one die as a result of this. Although me keeping a processor for more than 2 years has never happend either.

I would overclock it and start out slowly, build knowledge and get to know your proc and mobo together and how they behave when under stress, and pick something that suits you. Before you know it you'll want something faster and be trading it in anyways.

At 3.0(for a Q6600) your cpu will last you a long time(your computer will not even run the net by the time it kills it self, for real quad core and core2 will be line a 80386[OLD] by then). You will most likely not even need any extra voltage(may even be able to drop it a bit).

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
When a system dies it is almost never the CPU but the MB/PSU and so on.
When a CPU does die it is almost always due to over voltage/heat.

All of my OC's are done with high end PSU's and MB's (PC Power & Cooling,DFI) and never have extra voltages on any of the parts.
See my profile for the "old" systems that have 50% OC on stock volts and air cooling.

My newer systems that run stock @ 3/3+ Ghz just don't need to be OC'ed as I can't see a boost while playing games.

alfrido

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
If it has sufficient cooling it might not die. Look if your running a cpu without a heat sink or fan the chances are high that it burn or turn off every time it overheats, so if you overclock a cpu with proper cooling or with cooling that can deter all the heat your cpu cant die.

Overclocking isn't the killer its the heat.
If your going to overclock make sure you buy an aftermarket cpu cooler.

funnyman06

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
The thing about CPU's is the understanding of their practical life span. CPU's can run for years, i have had some computers for 10 years and they still run! But what is the average practical life span of a CPU, a couple years? 4 years at most for people. I have my over clocked CPU its been fine since i bought it new 3 years ago, and its been over clocked since day 1. I bet it would run for the foreseeable future, but would it be practical to run a processor that's 6 years old, not really. So unless you are really pushing that CPU to the limit with voltage and heat you shouldn't have an issue. Keeps the temps in check and don't go to high on the vCore and CPU life should be the least of your concerns.

4745454b

Titan
Anyone ever run a Cyrix MII? These chips were really 150-200MHz chips that Cyrix (owned at the time by IBM) overclocked to as high as 366MHz. I know of three people who owned one, all three had to have their chip replaced. (oddly enough, all three had the Cyrix 300MHz.)

Yes, overclocking can shorten the life of your CPU. Usually happens when people push the CPU to far, either with heat or voltage. As long as you keep both in check, you shouldn't really shorten the life of the CPU to much.

foxhound009

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
It depends how you do it.....

some are going to OC too much which will shorten the livespan of CPU
but by the time their CPU dies they've allready bought two different CPU's
if you're a person that often replaces hardware with newer... (with 1 a 2 year between) you're safe with OC'ing to a certain degree....

low temps low volts = longer lifespan

a little OC won't do much harm MOST OF THE TIME!

so... it's ur risk in the end.

sailer

Splendid
Weighing in on this, I think that overclocking will kill the CPU faster. A geek one time told me, however, that a CPU should last around ten years and even if overclocking cut that in half, had I ever kept a CPU for ten years? No, I usually upgrade every 3-4 years at most, usually less, so the question becomes academic. I did fry a CPU once, an AMD FX-55. It happens, and its one of the risks of overclocking. Sometimes I tell people not to overclock any farther than they can afford. If a person can afford a new CPU without caring about the effects to their bank account, the sky's the limit. If it is really going to hurt, then keep the overclock down.

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
This is my view on the matter:

You overclock. That means you are an enthusiast. That further means you're bound to buy a new pc within 3 years because your inner spirit will continue to nag you until you have all the latest hardwares.

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
As has been said it will shorten the life of a CPU but probably not enough for you to ever notice (as long as you keep heat and voltage at moderate levels).
I have been doing this for about a dozen years and have not lost 1 CPU, but have lost many motherboards (but all have lasted years before they died). The only thing I have lost to OC'n (at least that I attribute to OC'n) are HD's back on the BX chipset and earlier when there weren't any dividers or bus locks (lost 5 which died before they were 6 months old)but from the 850i on I have only lost 2 IBM Deathstars and 1 WD all which lasted 2 years or more.

There are two CPUs I ran OCed for 5 years plus (probably closer to 8 for the 600e since I just recently retired it from folding and file server duty when the PS died), my p3 600e @ 900~930 and my 2.4c @ 3.5~3.6 both of which ran 24/7 folding or in the case of the 600e seti for a couple of years first but always 24/7 @ 100% load.

Here is a shot of my mbm5 log of the 2.4 in action.
mbm52.4.gif

And a few CPUs that ran 3+ years folding (I don't remember for sure how long just know was more than 3) 24/7 (lost due to no decent MB replacements)
1.6 Northwood p4 @ 2.6
1.8 Northwood p4 @ 2.4
2.26 Northwood p4 @ 2.7
Another 2.4c @ 3.2~3.4 (still going in my daughters puter @ 3.2 but no longer folds and only used a few hours a week)
2x Barton 2500+ @ 2.5

And I would guess another dozen earlier ones that ran a couple years starting with a Pentium 200 (My p90 wouldn't even do 100 and a k6 233 that wouldn't go any higher either are the only two that I ever had that wouldn't OC at least 15%, most much more)

I have always had decent heat control with good airflow and good heatsinks(early on Alpha's and later Thermalright's). When I started my 1st case was a SuperMicro 750 AT (I still use the 350 watt PS to test and and bleed my WC system so if any leaks nothing else is powered up) which had 5 80mm and 2 92mm fans and a filter screen on the intake 3 80mm to help with dust control. And my 2nd was a 750a ATX which I setup with the same fans (I just thew that case out today)

Here is a link to an old review of that case (which was probably the best cases I ever had, and most expensive also at $400 each back in 95 (AT) and 96 (ATX)when I bought them.
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/1298/sc750a.html

That is what has been my experience in the hobby of overclocking and like Sailor said if and how far you go depends a lot on your wallet.