falconzfan007

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I have a 250 gb hdd from seagate. It has like 20 gb left and I want to set up a raid array so that the data is striped and I have faster load speeds and more space.

1. Does it have to be another 250 gb drive? Does the cache have to be the same? What needs to be the same for compatability?

2. What type of raid do I have to set up so that it shows up as only one drive on my computer?

3. Since one of my drives is already full, when I set up raid, will it automatically stripe the data between the two, or will I lose my data?

Thanks

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
1. No you dont need the same anything, but be aware that anything more than 250gb the space will not be available and the speed will be limited by the slowest drive.

2. RAID-0 is striping... RAID-1 is mirror

3. You will loose your data.

Please note that RAID-0 is not redundant and a failure on either drive will render your data unreadable.

falconzfan007

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
Alright, so 250 GB is my max, but how do i check the Cache on my current Hard Drive so i dont waste my money on a faster one?

And raid 1 just copies my information onto a backup drive? cause then im pretty sure i want Raid 0.

Is there any way to NOT lose my files? do i back them up onto an external drive? do i need to re-load vista and all of my games and crap???

thanks for the quick response

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
1. 250gb doesnt have to be your max but the rest wont be seen. Any drive you buy will be faster thanks to improvements in tech, just buy the cheapest.

2. RAID-0 will offer faster read/writes but no redundancy.

3. Yes there is a way to do it without loosing files or reinstalling but its long and tedious. First you would have to change the storage controller drivers follow this http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/196922-32-switching-storage-controllers-reinstalling-windows from somejoe. Next you would need to use something like Arconis TrueImage and place the image on an external drive. Then install new drive, setup the RAID-0 array. Reload image to drive with Arconis, then expand the partition to include the new space.
Personally i would backup any important data and format and reinstall.

G

If your money allows it, buy 2 new 500G drives for about 65-75ea and install your new raid system then get the data off your old 250g drive that you need and use it as an external drive for backup.

falconzfan007

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008

so instead of doing that, i could just save my songs, movies, folders etc., put them on an external drive, and then when i install my new OS, come back and insert the files back in?? what about my OS folders, and all of my installed games? if i were to copy over my entire "program files" folder, would all my games still work on the new hard drive?

falconzfan007

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008

if i were to buy 2 new drives, could i set those up in RAID and then keep the old 250 GB one just on the side?

falconzfan007

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008

well i know that vista has a "back up" function. Can i sync that to like an external hard drive so that when i plug it back in, i can copy my files back over? Cause other than that, i dont see any way of getting my stuff back