Homepage icons wont open

G

Can some one please help me.....icons on my desktop to browser sites ie: facebook, Ebay etc wont open but icons to programmes will have tried several tings from different threads here and there but none have worked
can you help me please

Bigmick

Right-click the icon, select "Properties"
Under the general tab (should be showing), it will show what program will open when icon is clicked, perhaps your browser is not associated with the icon?
There is a button that says "Change," click it and select your browser from the list that appears.

G

Under properties on the general tab all i have is type of file and description etc. There is no change button on the page, only an Adavanced button bottom right corner.

Forgot to mention i have run virus security checks etc and nothing was identified.

G

Forgot to mention i have also tried deleting old shortcut and create a new one but this hasnt changed anything,
Also i have found i cant open any links as well

Thanks all

Under properties on the general tab all i have is type of file and description etc. There is no change button on the page, only an Adavanced button bottom right corner.

Forgot to mention i have run virus security checks etc and nothing was identified.

You should mention what type file it shows it to be and description etc. so we can further help with a solution.
Here is one more thing you can check in the meantime: The name of the shortcut will end with "htm" if it is a valid internet shortcut.

G

Type of file just says- internet shorcut and the description just says the name of the shortcut destination.
Cheers

Do you actually have a browser set to be the default browser? This is asked just to eliminate a possibility.

Open the shortcut in notepad, it should look something like this if it is being made properly:

[InternetShortcut]
URL=http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247747-45-homepage-icons-wont-open

(To open in notepad, have notepad open and drag the shortcut into notepad.)

I was partially wrong in my earlier reply, an internet shortcut does not necessarily end with "htm." If it ends with "htm" that would be a saved page and will launch your browser and go to that page.

I'm now checking resources. Will be back with more later.

G

Tigsound your a legend......thats all it was my Browser was not set as the default Browser....youve solved it thanks heeeeeeeps.

And thanks to all other crew for your assistance it is much appreciated.